Oral Treatments & Starting A Family

johnogroats

Reaction score
15 year plus finasteride user here and (touch wood) I’m a success story so far. Me and the wife want to start a family in the next year or two and I note the warning on the medication to consult a doctor if you want to start a family.

I’m hoping the collective minds of this forum can put our minds at rest though...

1) Is there a statistical estimate of the risk on the health of a child of me conceiving it whilst on finasteride? If it’s 1 in 10 it’s clearly a different story to 1 in 10 million but I can’t find anything.

2) If the answer to the first question is that there is a significant risk how long does it take for your sperm to lose any traces of finasteride (which I’m hoping would be minimal anyway)? Coming off it for a few days to try and time conceiving sounds ok, so I’m hoping the answer would be that rather than months

Of course some of this is vanity but many on here will empathise with the psychological problems of the thought of coming off the meds and losing over a decade worth of gains/ holds....

Any thoughts from you guys much appreciated.

Shad264

My Regimen
Reaction score
See my advice will be that get off finastride for 20 days and let it flush out of your system and after you are done with your family planning or whatever start taking finastride for 3 times a week for the next 3 weeks and then start your regular dosage.

Now coming to your question of possiblity then it's incredibly rare (in millions) for anything grave like that to happen but if you want to be a pussy and be extra safe then follow the above method✓

johnogroats

Reaction score
See my advice will be that get off finastride for 20 days and let it flush out of your system and after you are done with your family planning or whatever start taking finastride for 3 times a week for the next 3 weeks and then start your regular dosage.

Now coming to your question of possiblity then it's incredibly rare (in millions) for anything grave like that to happen but if you want to be a pussy and be extra safe then follow the above method✓

That’s the issue though... if it takes 20 days to leave your system and a year to conceive then that’s possibly my hair gone. If it were say a couple of days it could be managed.

As for the ‘pussy’ comment, I’m after some sort of evidence that the risk is in the millions to one but can’t find anything.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone else got any opinions or experience on this?

(shameless bump!)

The chance of something bad happening is 0%, which is why you can't find anything on google, which is where I assumed you first looked. Millions of men take this drug over 20 years and there has been no higher instance of any of these problems than the general population.

I had a child on finasteride 2 years ago, was fine.

The only thing that will likely prevent you from having kids is stopping finasteride and losing your hair.

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with this. I think there should not be any problems. As for me, I have been taking some Propecia, and I like how it works for me plus there are no bad side effects for me. What do you think about it?

Last edited: