Oral spironolactone?

DTW

Reaction score
Does anyone think this drug would be effective in suppressing over active sebaceous glands in the scalp? I'm curious to try this medication at a low dose to see if there would be any impact, but I'm also aware of the risks involved. Is there anyone here who has experimented with this orally?

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
DTW said:
Does anyone think this drug would be effective in suppressing over active sebaceous glands in the scalp? I'm curious to try this medication at a low dose to see if there would be any impact, but I'm also aware of the risks involved. Is there anyone here who has experimented with this orally?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...I don't think its a good idea for healthy males to take spironolactone orally like that. All i know is..a lot of transgendered people take spironolactone orally when they're transitioning from male to female.

Wouldn't something like Accutane help with something like that?

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Oral spironolactone: an effective treatment for acne vulgaris in women

In a consecutive series of thirty-six male and female patients referred with severe acne, the effect of 3 months' treatment with placebo or spironolactone (50–200 mg daily) on sebum excretion and clinical and endocrine status was evaluated double-blind. Twenty-six patients completed the study. Abnormal free androgen indices were found in 27% of the original nineteen female subjects. Spironolactone reduced sebum excretion in all female subjects, but there was no correlation between sebum response and androgen status. The clinical response was dose-dependent, with maximum subjective and objective benefit when spironolactone doses of 150–200 mg were used.

if it works in women the maybe it will work with men.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you just want to reduce oily scalp or skin, Spearmint tea will do that. But get your liver checked before and after use, as I saw on one site that it disrupted those enzymes pretty seriously. But I don't know how accurate or true it was, so go to your Doctor and ask for blood tests before and after. Best wishes.

Oh and also I think I remember something about a B vitamin helping with this. Niacin? B5? In high doses? One of them. Look it up especially on the acne sites. Then again make sure you get the bld tests.

DTW

Reaction score
I'm just not completely sold on vitamins being able to treat something like this. I've read about B vitamins and pro-biotics to reduce an oily scalp, but I never had any success with those. I think I would need something more powerful.

I guess if I end up getting a script for this, or a script for something else that would have a similar effect, I'll keep everyone posted of my results.