Oral minoxidil

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wasn't minoxidil originally an orally administered drug? That would be easier to take than rubbing it into your scalp twice a day. I assume it's a topical because otherwise it would encourage hair growth all over your body?

Sean68

Reaction score
i think the increased heartbeat would be a problem as well. i know
it exists but ive never heard of anyone using it or seen a link to it
or anything.

beaner

Reaction score
This guy has apparently been on oral minoxidil for a month and a half and has thickened up his hairline a bit:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=68407

Once in a while I find posters taking the stuff, usually on HLH. From what I've heard it works quite well, although I'm not sure how safe it is.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
This guy has apparently been on oral minoxidil for a month and a half and has thickened up his hairline a bit:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=68407

Once in a while I find posters taking the stuff, usually on HLH. From what I've heard it works quite well, although I'm not sure how safe it is.

wow, thats quite a difference for 2 months. ok, now i'm intrigued. Can anyone chip in about the safety issues with this stuff?

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil is called loniten. It is a blood pressure medication with a quirkly side effect: it grows hair. With that said, topical minoxidil is much better at stimulating hair growth than the internal version.

The story linked above also involves the long term use of finasteride as well as oral spironolactone for a year - according to Dr. Proctor it can take this long to regain frontal hair. For this reason, I'm not so sure I'd chalk up his success to using oral minoxidil.

As for saftey information on loniten, I have little idea. I'm almost certain the topical is much safer.

G

do you think its okay to use loniten for 2-3 weeks? because im planning to do a hair transplant and the 2-3 weeks after it you shouldnt use minoxidil .

so do you think that would do the trick to maintain my hair in that time or would it be too risky?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
neo1234 said:
do you think its okay to use loniten for 2-3 weeks? because im planning to do a hair transplant and the 2-3 weeks after it you shouldnt use minoxidil .

so do you think that would do the trick to maintain my hair in that time or would it be too risky?

it would not be necessary...you could STOP rogaine at any time...and start back up again and your hair counts would increase if you are a responder...its not like finasteride where TIME plays a very important factor