Oral Minoxidil Vs Topical, Any Suggestions?

loyalroyal

Reaction score
I have not tried minoxidil for several years now when i experienced irritation with the foam.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried oral minoxidil and if this has yielded results?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! I just switched from minoxidil topical 10% (8 years) to Oral 5mg/10mg depending on the day.
It's been a little over a month with loniten, and all I can say is that I'm shedding quite a bit of terminal hair which I previously did not. Happy to keep you updated or until I decide to give up : )

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! I just switched from minoxidil topical 10% (8 years) to Oral 5mg/10mg depending on the day.
It's been a little over a month with loniten, and all I can say is that I'm shedding quite a bit of terminal hair which I previously did not. Happy to keep you updated or until I decide to give up : )

Please do keep us updated. What made you do the jump to oral and at that dosage?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please do keep us updated. What made you do the jump to oral and at that dosage?

I actually suffer from a disorder that causes an excess production of steroids and minneralcorticoids - and I recently switched medications. I used an oral nonsteroidal AA for years with fantastic results (like better than teenage density + I’m a diffuse sufferer) but eventually the feminising sides caught up after about 8 years or so, and naturally my levels didn’t improve so I was put on spironolactone in Feb, which caused a huge withdrawl telogen effluvium and inexorable itch for the first time in my life.

To be honest, any topical seemed to cause an inflammatory response so oral minoxidil seemed like a golden ticket. Given my medical history, I’ve found sides are often blown out of proportion so I wasn’t wary at first.

If my experience with oral is at all the norm - you can expect thickening of body hair by Day 30, increased scalp shedding of terminal and tiny hair by Day 19-29 onward, and occasional palpitations in the first few weeks. My heart rate hasn’t changed and my BP is fine.

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems a lot of people do well on oral Minoxidil and even low doses of 1-2mg/day works well. Definitely is at least an alternative if the topical is not an option.

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
With 5mg oral minoxidil I had a lot of regrowth, it was insane ...

But I think oral minoxidil should be avoided. We're playing a dangerous game.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
oral is stronger

Reactions: KSA

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From the reports I’ve read oral is better and has a much higher efficacy rate. Glycol or alchohol in minoxidil can irritate sensitive scalps. The scalp needs a certain amount of the ‘sulfotransferase enzyme’ to even metabolize the minoxidil and grow hair. It is suspected that this is the reason why some don’t get results. With oral minoxidil you avoid this issue entirely and have a chance for much better growth/regrowth.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With 5mg oral minoxidil I had a lot of regrowth, it was insane ...

But I think oral minoxidil should be avoided. We're playing a dangerous game.

How long did it take you to see results on 5mg?

Regarding safety: you make an extremely valid point. However, because of my condition, I have labs + check ups done about every two weeks and my doctors are aware of my recent switch to Loniten so I’m supervised and OK for now.

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using 1.25mg oral Minoxidil daily along with Finasteride and LLLT for a little over 6 months and I have had very good results. I tried foam before oral for a week but the dandruff was SO BAD because I have always had a dandruff problem. I even used it without PG and still had the worlds worst dandruff lol. Oral Minoxidil has not given me any side effects. I also drink caffeinated beverages, a lot of water, and use Retin-A on my face to help avoid any of the possible side effects.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some great answers in here. Seems that oral has some great potential. I, similarly, have not gained anything on foam minoxidil. So it’s good to know that there are other options.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would anyone have any feedback about oral minoxidil shedding? It's been awful for the past 2 weeks - all terminals. I'm 40 days in, and my hair is the worst it has ever been.
Thank you!!
K

@GeraltOfRivia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not tried minoxidil for several years now when i experienced irritation with the foam.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried oral minoxidil and if this has yielded results?

Irritation with foam?? I am experiencing irritation with liquid form

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do people use topical more often and are more hesitant about oral minoxidil?

Oral minoxidil has some serious sides (more so than expected from topical). You may experience them or you may not. With topical you don’t have as much systemic absorption.
Also my experience w oral was a bit of a disaster - it exacerbated a telogen efflubium I was experiencing and seemed to grow baby fine hair in the temples but not nearly enough to justify how much I was shedding all day. This went on too long for my liking. Perhaps it was just timing for me - coming off a different medication, and perhaps I’ll give it another shot. Topical is irritating but was no where near as intense as oral

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil has some serious sides (more so than expected from topical). You may experience them or you may not. With topical you don’t have as much systemic absorption.
Also my experience w oral was a bit of a disaster - it exacerbated a telogen efflubium I was experiencing and seemed to grow baby fine hair in the temples but not nearly enough to justify how much I was shedding all day. This went on too long for my liking. Perhaps it was just timing for me - coming off a different medication, and perhaps I’ll give it another shot. Topical is irritating but was no where near as intense as oral
That’s crazy, but if I ever progress to a NW2 I’ll give oral minoxidil a go