Oral Minoxidil Volumetric Dosing And Storage

8thgen

Reaction score
Would love if someone can help me with this.

I mixed 4ml of Kirkland 5% Rogaine into 200ml of vodka. Am I correct in assuming that I made a solution where each ml is 1mg of oral minoxidil?

Also, can anyone answer the following:
1) Is this solution homogenous? Should I be shaking hard before use each time?

2) Should I be storing this in a dark brown bottle, protected from light, and in the fridge?

Cheers.

Edit: I found this study that indicates the solution may be good for 4 week outside of the fridge, and up to 24 weeks in the fridge. I will see if my solution changes color or gets any particles after 4 weeks outside of the fridge.

8thgen

Reaction score
Update for anyone interested.

The math to me works out. I took a 10mg dose last night and definitely felt the side effects; so I am assuming it is good.

As for storage and stability, I found the following study: https://sci-hub.tw/10.2146/ajhp160457.

Basically, it should be good for about 4 weeks for sure at room temp, until the colour changes. At 6 weeks, I should get some sediments. But it should last about 10 weeks. I will keep looking at it and take a 10mg dose every now and then to see if it's still good.

In the future, I will put it in a dark brown glass bottle and store it in the fridge. It should be good for 24 weeks at that point.

Also, minoxidil is most stable at a ph of 5. Microbes grow most at a ph between 6 - 8. Vodka has a ph between 6 - 7, and distilled water has a ph of about 5.8. I'll see how well my solution does for the next few weeks. If i lose efficacy, I'll play around with the ph maybe.

Last edited:

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would love if someone can help me with this.

I mixed 4ml of Kirkland 5% Rogaine into 200ml of vodka. Am I correct in assuming that I made a solution where each ml is 1mg of oral minoxidil?

Also, can anyone answer the following:
1) Is this solution homogenous? Should I be shaking hard before use each time?

2) Should I be storing this in a dark brown bottle, protected from light, and in the fridge?

Cheers.

Edit: I found this study that indicates the solution may be good for 4 week outside of the fridge, and up to 24 weeks in the fridge. I will see if my solution changes color or gets any particles after 4 weeks outside of the fridge.

Math just about checks out though you should technically be mixing 4mL minoxidil into 196mL vodka to actually have 1mg/mL.

It's all miscible and should be homogeneous once you mix it in once. However due to the extra water content you should still check for precipitation (not anticipated though).

What made you want to dilute your minoxidil?

8thgen

Reaction score
Math just about checks out though you should technically be mixing 4mL minoxidil into 196mL vodka to actually have 1mg/mL.

It's all miscible and should be homogeneous once you mix it in once. However due to the extra water content you should still check for precipitation (not anticipated though).

What made you want to dilute your minoxidil?

Just wanted to get absolutely accurate dosing. So far it's working well.

I take a big dose (10mg) every few weeks just to see if it's still working since I no longer feel sides on 5mg.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used 0.25ml of kirkland for a while(12.5mg) but i stopped, pills are cheap as anything and much more convenient, but as long as you are happy that is all that matters. I currently take 5mg.