Oral Minoxidil/Loniten and high cholesterol

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced high or raised cholesterol from using oral Minoxidil/Loniten?

I just got my labs back and my cholesterol is high for the first time ever. I have been ingesting topical Minoxidil for the past 8 months or so.

I am 56 and I do have a family history of high cholesterol and I do eat a ton of bad food (lots of eggs, cheese, processed foods, treats, etc.).
Since you’re not actually suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia why not just take a break from minoxidil and get blood work done again?

Your family history/genetics/diet would make much more sense as a cause of your results. I’ve only read of one study where minoxidil actually had a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels:

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no correlation between cholesterol and LDOM (low dose oral minoxidil) afaik.

Results: A total of 1404 patients (943 women [67.2%] and 461 men [32.8%]) with a mean age of 43 years (range 8-86) were included. The dose of LDOM was titrated in 1065 patients, allowing the analysis of 2469 different cases. The most frequent adverse effect was hypertrichosis (15.1%), which led to treatment withdrawal in 14 patients (0.5%). Systemic adverse effects included lightheadedness (1.7%), fluid retention (1.3%), tachycardia (0.9%), headache (0.4%), periorbital edema (0.3%), and insomnia (0.2%), leading to drug discontinuation in 29 patients (1.2%). No life-threatening adverse effects were observed

source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33639244/ (1400+ patient sample)

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I get plenty-o-exercise. Tons of cardio in form of running and mountain biking. But I eat absolutely everything I want - candy, cheese, cakes, processed pastries, fast food hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, everything. I have always been able to do it without gaining weight but it is finally catching up to me.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get plenty-o-exercise. Tons of cardio in form of running and mountain biking. But I eat absolutely everything I want - candy, cheese, cakes, processed pastries, fast food hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, everything. I have always been able to do it without gaining weight but it is finally catching up to me.
Yeah and diet is honestly more important as far as cholesterol