Oral minoxidil great results what you think

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah its really weird cause even now at around 4mg im definitely seeing more extersion from the side effects. dont understand how people can do 10mg without bloating or skin effects or even palpitations which i did have for 2 nights on 5mgs, scary stuff. i would guess if i had side effects that would mean that i would also have positive side effects like regrowth but its too early to tell and i think il drop it in a few weeks, seems pointless if im just gonna have to keep taking for any regrowth i achieve.
Just drop to 2.5 then so you can have enough time on it to see results

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am barely above that now but I did use 12.5mg for several months. I have experienced no sides that I would have minded as a male very much. My body hair below the waist is more vigorous but my torso and underarm hair have not returned and I didn't even need removal in these areas. They just stopped once my estradiol levels reached female levels. Because I have used both electrolysis and laser removal, my beard hair has gotten scratchier due to the laser-removed follicles never really being gone, just mostly destroyed and that and some stray hairs around my brows and eyes are the main negatives. I am also on an extreme regime that might dissipate any hypertrichosis. But yes, my hands and arms are somewhat more hairy and I have had removal in these areas.

Basically, all of this can be managed by shaving, depilation, removal and plucking so I wouldn't avoid going up to 15 mg as a male provided there are no worries related to hypertension. But because hypertension can be a serious thing, I don't recommend going above 2.5mg to 5 mg unless a person knows what he or she is doing and accepts the risks. The hair growth/regrowth from oral min is vigorous and you can tell if it is working by the hypertrichosis so you sort of want some increase in body hair. As always though, I am on a pretty advanced and complicated stack so the best advice if they are out there might come from someone on oral min monotherapy who has tried different levels.

I have seen worrisome hypertrichosis on an individual that can be seen on the @bridgeburn thread at page 5, called antidhtor and that put me off oral min for a while but the hypertrichosis appears to stop upon stopping usage of oral min so that is less of a concern. It all depends on the value one places on hair regrowth vs. sides. My hair regrowth matters more to me right now than having to pluck and depilate all of the time and I do get laser removal on face and body every few months. Electrolysis is often more painful but it is permanent but it takes a loooong time. I did three weeks straight two hours a day and it still hadn't gotten all of the peach fuzz left by laser. The eyelash effects though to me, are fantastic and oral min seems to work better on lashes than latisse so I plan to stop latisse, which is good because it is un-Goddessly expensive.
Yeah i dont really care about hypertrichosis, its just plucking a bit timewasting but its cool. Besides that eyelashes can confirm are longer and thicker, i monitor everything closely and they have definitely increased at least 30% in length while at full growth, if you dont want to use latisse just use careprost its the generic version of bimatoprost.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just drop to 2.5 then so you can have enough time on it to see results
nuh no point, id have to keep it forever if i see regrowth unless i find a way to exchange the boost oral min is doing without losing the regrowth or maintenance

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
nuh no point, id have to keep it forever if i see regrowth unless i find a way to exchange the boost oral min is doing without losing the regrowth or maintenance
My belief and hope is that hair loss and hair dependence on specific meds is more complicated than people think. The longer that a terminal hair grows, the more that it would seem to have been "healed" at least temporarily by the treatment. The other aspects that might make this true are the importance of inflammation as often concomitant with hair loss and inflammation is treatable going forward likely even if we failed to halt it in the past. With HRT, the skin of the scalp is actually different and I think that this is part of the healing/awakening of hair dormancy that is likely to last some considerable period of time before dissipating. But it could very well be that microneedling or Rob English's massages could maintain growth cultivated via oral minoxidil.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My belief and hope is that hair loss and hair dependence on specific meds is more complicated than people think. The longer that a terminal hair grows, the more that it would seem to have been "healed" at least temporarily by the treatment. The other aspects that might make this true are the importance of inflammation as often concomitant with hair loss and inflammation is treatable going forward likely even if we failed to halt it in the past. With HRT, the skin of the scalp is actually different and I think that this is part of the healing/awakening of hair dormancy that is likely to last some considerable period of time before dissipating. But it could very well be that microneedling or Rob English's massages could maintain growth cultivated via oral minoxidil.
well yeah but how many times have we seen people drop topical min and lose almost all the regrowth 3 months later. I see what ur saying and i think the same, the longer a terminal stays terminal it should go back to being "normal" in a sense.

starks

Reaction score
Can anyone kindly clarify the simplest/easiest way to drink minx using a regular kirkland 1ml dropper? Like creating another line closer to the opening, filling it to the line, and drinking that amount? Is there a master thread on this?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly clarify the simplest/easiest way to drink minx using a regular kirkland 1ml dropper? Like creating another line closer to the opening, filling it to the line, and drinking that amount? Is there a master thread on this?
There must be decent metric droppers but I couldn't find any on Amazon. they sell your basic dropper where the lowest marking is 25ml. For most people, this is as high as you want to go. The problem is that the droppers all narrow at the bottom so it's real hit or miss once you go below 25ml. My results have been so outstanding that I am going to go to 12.5mg twice daily. The med has a low half life and it appears the main danger is fainting. After 30 years of minoxidil use, I probably have a high tolerance just as I do to edible cannabis. So start low and titrate gently.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh and people saying drinking is a bit over-dramatic. What you want to do is drizzle the med as far back on the tongue as you can. How does it taste? Quite a bit like really strong tonic water. You will usually want a chaser. All those years of applying topical and this takes like 30 seconds and you don't have to put junk in your hair.

truthrocket

Reaction score
drinking it isn't a problem....only if it works that good as the tablets do...that's the question...
i was also thinking to drink it in the future, but a doctor told me that he think's it will not work as good as the tablets do (i take tablets, first 5mg now 10 mg/day since about 20 years without sides/only positive results..better than topical)......
somebody knows about....with drinking the lotion we get the same good results as taking the tablets ??............
Did I read this correctly - you’ve been on oral minoxidil for 20 years?

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Take 1mL of 5% minoxidil and dilute it in 9 mL of ethanol. Then you will a solution with 50mg of minoxidil mixed in 10mL. 1mL of that has 5mg of minoxidil. If you want only 2.5mg of minoxidil, use 19mL of ethanol, instead. You can use a syringe (one with a needle) to measure everything instead of the stock dropper.

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
i have pure minoxidil powder and measure 5mg every day and put it in a vegetable capsule, since upping to 5mg i have experienced facial bloating and maybe darker eyes but im not sure. will wait and see if it goes away, i do take torsemide 5mg on some days to help with the bloating but i dont think its doing much if theres concentrated water on specific regions of the body, definitely helps but dont know how healthy it is
How do you measure such a small amoount? Do you use a scale or do you use another method? If you do use a scale pls post link of it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Literally one drop a day might induce substantial improvement of the raw Kirkland topical so that's hardly drinking, lol but there's something about using that term "drinking minoxidil" that I think makes people more interested than just saying I use Loniten or something.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would not be more comfortable to use 2% liquid minoxidil instead of diluting 5%?
Well you have to do the mathematical conversion and math is not Janey's favorite thing. I asked a guy on an oral min thread, there's sort of a main one, how much equated to mg at 5 percent and he told me that 25ml was equal to 12.5mg so essentially you halve the ml to get the equivalent of Loniten in grams.

Now I always recommend two percent for people starting topical min to reduce shedding before titrating upwards so if that is all that you have, you can just convert from that. but let me take a crack at the math, sigh. Just kidding, so since 2 percent is 40 percent of 5 percent that should put you on the right road to the correct math for equivalency and since that is 4/10, you want to multiply by the inverse of that, or 10/4, which equates to multiplying by 2.5 in terms of indicated amount of ml in the two percent version.

But if I made a calculation error, you are on your own, lol, as are we all since I don't practice medicine and only provide generalized recommendations to discuss with a doctor or for DIY at one's own assumption of risk, which is a legal doctrine and Janey knows law<curtsies>

Janey

Last edited:

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Loniten may have a slight advantage in terms of efficacy because apparently digestion destroys some minoxidil in the process, and the filler in the tablets helps preserve more of the drug during the digestive process. But the advantage to the liquid is that you don't have to worry about the size of the tabs or cutting them and can adjust things very easily. But I see no point in 2%, it's just a waste of money. If you hate the taste of 5% that bad then drop it in some soda or something maybe.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Loniten may have a slight advantage in terms of efficacy because apparently digestion destroys some minoxidil in the process, and the filler in the tablets helps preserve more of the drug during the digestive process. But the advantage to the liquid is that you don't have to worry about the size of the tabs or cutting them and can adjust things very easily. But I see no point in 2%, it's just a waste of money. If you hate the taste of 5% that bad then drop it in some soda or something maybe.
Now, I went to a lot of trouble to do that conversion so at least check my math for accuracy plus if like many of us, he might have two percent topical lying around that he never used once he heard about the superior (it isn't) five percent which is likely to cause more shedding if used initially.:)

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not much fuss wheather you use 2% or 5%, but most people already have in stock some 5% bottles.

Now, I don't think there's any difference in taste between the two. After all, you don't get to taste the minoxidil itself, but rather the alcohol, which, for some, might be nasty, in which case you can hold some water in your mouth and gulp the minoxidil along with it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not much fuss wheather you use 2% or 5%, but most people already have in stock some 5% bottles.

Now, I don't think there's any difference in taste between the two. After all, you don't get to taste the minoxidil itself, but rather the alcohol, which, for some, might be nasty, in which case you can hold some water in your mouth and gulp the minoxidil along with it.
Nope. It is distinctly not an alcohol taste. Janey knows alcohol as a point of pride as a former and some times, still gentleman. I salute you right now with a shot of Teacher's which is a bargain and high in peat taste and smell which are highly prized in the Scotch world. Down the hatch!

It is bitter instead like quinine. It would seem that the alcohol would contribute but the taste seems to come from the preservative in the topical meds. If you can't identify quinine, it is the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its zing. Quinine used to be the covid-19-type savior med during late colonial times because it works to protect humans against malaria and other mosquito-based such illnesses.

Last edited:

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
I was referring to using 2% liquid to drink, it is easier to control the mg you take, for example using a syringe, than the 5% that you have to be measuring drops and it is more difficult to control exactly the mg you are taking.
(Sorry for my english)