Oral Minoxidil Experience, Side-effects And Advise

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings,

After two years of using topical minoxidil on my hairline with success (currently 21y/o), Ive been prescribed oral minoxidil and finasteride for more long-term maintenance. I have questions for switching to oral minoxidil.

Ive seen people note the side-effects of oral minoxidil being a deterrent for them starting. After multiple meetings with different derms they have convinced me that my dosage (0.5mg) will be sufficient to maintain my topical gains, and also will be too low to experience any major side-effects. Some users have said that skin side-effects occur. What exactly do they mean by this? What are your guys' thoughts on this dosage and what side-effects should I look for if this switch is advisable?

If anyone has any experience or advise to add about starting oral minoxidil for long-term maintenance it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings,

After two years of using topical minoxidil on my hairline with success (currently 21y/o), Ive been prescribed oral minoxidil and finasteride for more long-term maintenance. I have questions for switching to oral minoxidil.

Ive seen people note the side-effects of oral minoxidil being a deterrent for them starting. After multiple meetings with different derms they have convinced me that my dosage (0.5mg) will be sufficient to maintain my topical gains, and also will be too low to experience any major side-effects. Some users have said that skin side-effects occur. What exactly do they mean by this? What are your guys' thoughts on this dosage and what side-effects should I look for if this switch is advisable?

If anyone has any experience or advise to add about starting oral minoxidil for long-term maintenance it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Although I’ve only been on it for 2 months, I noticed a crazy rapid weight gain (11 lbs) this all took place in a span of 1 week. Weird thing is I didnt touch minoxidil for 3-4 days and lost all that salt and water retention very quickly. Gonna lower dose and continue on trying.

Sides- weight gain, bloating (all over), hair growth all over too (ear hair ) and slightly darker eye shadows.

I’ve still yet to see results on my scalp since it has only been 2 months, but jesus this shed is scary.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on oral since october last year varying from 10mg to 20mg, i found topical and dermarolling to be much more effective on my crown than oral. Then again i have seen great results online with people using oral, i wish i hadn't started it now tbh, can't stop because im afraid of the shed i'll get, my first shed on oral minoxidil was pretty brutal.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Although I’ve only been on it for 2 months, I noticed a crazy rapid weight gain (11 lbs) this all took place in a span of 1 week. Weird thing is I didnt touch minoxidil for 3-4 days and lost all that salt and water retention very quickly. Gonna lower dose and continue on trying.

Sides- weight gain, bloating (all over), hair growth all over too (ear hair ) and slightly darker eye shadows.

I’ve still yet to see results on my scalp since it has only been 2 months, but jesus this shed is scary.

Hey thanks for the reply!
what dosage are you using? if you could go back and reconsider your switch, would you? thanks!

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on oral since october last year varying from 10mg to 20mg, i found topical and dermarolling to be much more effective on my crown than oral. Then again i have seen great results online with people using oral, i wish i hadn't started it now tbh, can't stop because im afraid of the shed i'll get, my first shed on oral minoxidil was pretty brutal.
this is exactly what I'm afraid of, starting and regretting due to sides but being stuck taking it :( In a perfect world it will maintain what I have long term and be super easy (as opposed to twice daily application), however a lot of people are telling me the opposite. Keep me updated if you can, its appreciated!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is exactly what I'm afraid of, starting and regretting due to sides but being stuck taking it :( In a perfect world it will maintain what I have long term and be super easy (as opposed to twice daily application), however a lot of people are telling me the opposite. Keep me updated if you can, its appreciated!

Yeah i started oral minoxidil thinking it would be less hassle than topical, but like i said the results on my crown weren't that great but i have seen good results online so maybe im the odd one out. Btw applying minoxidil once a day is enough, i dermaroll and apply it at night before bed while brushing my teeth etc, takes two seconds it's not much hassle really.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i started oral minoxidil thinking it would be less hassle than topical, but like i said the results on my crown weren't that great but i have seen good results online so maybe im the odd one out. Btw applying minoxidil once a day is enough, i dermaroll and apply it at night before bed while brushing my teeth etc, takes two seconds it's not much hassle really.

So if you had the choice would you just stick to topical??

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So if you had the choice would you just stick to topical??

Depends, I have diffuse thinning in a norwood 6-7 pattern so applying topical minoxidil 2x daily would be a hassle + I’d probably get sides still with the amount needed to cover my entire scalp. + Topical makes my scalp itch/irritate + hair greasy.

If you have a receding hairline or just loss at the crown I’d go topical.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone that taken oral minoxidil experienced skin sagging? My dermatologist assures me that switching to 0.5mg oral is the right move for long-term maintenance, however there is so little out there about the side effects. Any input is appreciated. Cheers!

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how long did it take for initially shed hairs to grow back?

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone that taken oral minoxidil experienced skin sagging? My dermatologist assures me that switching to 0.5mg oral is the right move for long-term maintenance, however there is so little out there about the side effects. Any input is appreciated. Cheers!
That dosage is way too small for maintenance.Maybe oral+topical,but 0.5mg wont do sh*t.People who take oral are the ones who said ''f*** it''.Ive never seen anyone go below 1.25mg.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does your dermatologist mean switching from topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil? How would that switch work? Does he suggest slowly tapering off the use of the topical for some time while starting oral minoxidil?
Suggested that I just come off topical straight away and switch to 0.5mg once daily. Am yet to do this as I am still hesitant to risk loosing all my topical minoxidil hairs, plus am still unsure about the long-term side-effects. Do you have any experience with oral?

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
That dosage is way too small for maintenance.Maybe oral+topical,but 0.5mg wont do sh*t.People who take oral are the ones who said ''f*** it''.Ive never seen anyone go below 1.25mg.
Do you mean that oral is too risky and people that use it just overlook the sides? Yeah I am yet to see anyone with this lower of dosage, so I am sticking with topical for now. Do you have any experience with oral or know of anyone with long-term success/failure. Any input is appreciated. Cheers!