Oral Minoxidil 9 month Results - Female but applies to men as well. :)

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!
After 20 years as an androgenic alopecia patient, it was fast tracked my menopause.
I use Estrogen and Progesterone but cannot use Testosterone due to the risks for the hair, but wish I could.

I see a leading researcher at UPenn whom put me on oral minoxidil 1.25 mg daily. Finasteride for a year failed me and caused severe depression. Did nothing for hair.
Oral minoxidil has been amazing for density and growth despite the initial shedding. HOWEVER, I am at 9 months now and the shedding is insane. I did not have Covid recently nor am I under extra stress, tested all hormones thyroid etc.
I need more growth so I am interested in adding something.
Considering adding topical spironalactone (caprenone duet to less odor), dutasteride and/or latanaproste but Dr. says won't do much.

Dr also has me microneedling at 1.5 every 2 weeks for a series of 3 then repeating at 1 month intervals. So far nothing noticeable.

Curious if anyone else has experienced random shedding on oral minoxidil?
Would love your thoughts if you use this medication.

Thanks!

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!
After 20 years as an androgenic alopecia patient, it was fast tracked my menopause.
I use Estrogen and Progesterone but cannot use Testosterone due to the risks for the hair, but wish I could.

I see a leading researcher at UPenn whom put me on oral minoxidil 1.25 mg daily. Finasteride for a year failed me and caused severe depression. Did nothing for hair.
Oral minoxidil has been amazing for density and growth despite the initial shedding. HOWEVER, I am at 9 months now and the shedding is insane. I did not have Covid recently nor am I under extra stress, tested all hormones thyroid etc.
I need more growth so I am interested in adding something.
Considering adding topical spironalactone (caprenone duet to less odor), dutasteride and/or latanaproste but Dr. says won't do much.

Dr also has me microneedling at 1.5 every 2 weeks for a series of 3 then repeating at 1 month intervals. So far nothing noticeable.

Curious if anyone else has experienced random shedding on oral minoxidil?
Would love your thoughts if you use this medication.

Thanks!
It ages your face so wouldnt recommend it. Depletes collagen production, got darker circles and wrinkles from that crap and it did nothing for me. Only increase in Body hair.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
What ages you? Minoxidil? I have yet to find any studies to confirm this and I have asked 2 researchers.
I am 54, most people think I am in my 30's, so I have not seen any dark circles or wrinkles whatsoever. Zero increase in body hair.
Sorry it didn't work for you I think it is GREAT! But that is not my question, I asked about the shedding at 9 months.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
What ages you? Minoxidil? I have yet to find any studies to confirm this and I have asked 2 researchers.
I am 54, most people think I am in my 30's, so I have not seen any dark circles or wrinkles whatsoever. Zero increase in body hair.
Sorry it didn't work for you I think it is GREAT! But that is not my question, I asked about the shedding at 9 months.
There are many studies of it interuppting collagen production lol. You could have even looked younger if you never touched the stuff but then again you used a low dosage i used 5 to 20mg.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not seen extra wrinkles you mean cause Theres no way you dont have wrinkles at your advanced old age grannie.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg is all that is indicated.
I spoke to Dr. Jeff Donovan and there are no cases of such reported. I will be on it for life with no concerns.
Feel free to post links to the "many studies" as I like to see them vs hear about.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First post here and probably last thanks to nasty people like you. Later

You really shouldn’t be on Minxodil as it’s a lifelong commitment and the shed simply means it’s working the old weakened hairs fall out to be replaced by stronger newer one.

As a woman body hair might even be worse so that’s another side to oral Minoxidil.

What I would suggest is a hair transplant, you have no worry of donor and can get plenty hair to transplant to your small balding or thinned areas.

Finasteride doesn’t work for women as good as it does for men, so not surprising.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am on nearly a year. It’s been amazing regrew tons of hair. No body hair increase or any side effects it’s 1.25 mg.
im on it for life. Totally sold after years of topical and other meds. Thanks for confirming about finasteride, that is why the researcher took me off of it, he said the other doctor should not have put me on.
Was just wondering about other topicals or peptides. Thanks

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
You really shouldn’t be on Minxodil as it’s a lifelong commitment and the shed simply means it’s working the old weakened hairs fall out to be replaced by stronger newer one.

As a woman body hair might even be worse so that’s another side to oral Minoxidil.

What I would suggest is a hair transplant, you have no worry of donor and can get plenty hair to transplant to your small balding or thinned areas.

Finasteride doesn’t work for women as good as it does for men, so not surprising.

Also the shedding is new at 10 months so thinking maybe i had Covid again and didn’t know. ‍♀️

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am on nearly a year. It’s been amazing regrew tons of hair. No body hair increase or any side effects it’s 1.25 mg.
im on it for life. Totally sold after years of topical and other meds. Thanks for confirming about finasteride, that is why the researcher took me off of it, he said the other doctor should not have put me on.

Unfortunately Minoxodil is the only thing we have for hair regrowth and the rest are anti-DHT for guys like finasteride, dusteride, RU, winlevi etc etc

I would still consider hair transplant, as a woman you have that choice and get really great results. Minoxidil is really toxic for heart even at low dosages and it’s just not good to be taking risks with your heart.

I tried the topical version few years ago and had heart palpitations, was hyper responder seeing results in just couple months but decided I am not going to risk damaging my heart over hairs

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral min works everywhere not just scalp hair,
1.25 mg is all that is indicated.
I spoke to Dr. Jeff Donovan and there are no cases of such reported. I will be on it for life with no concerns.
Feel free to post links to the "many studies" as I like to see them vs hear about.
U made me try oral min again at 2mg.
Unfortunately Minoxodil is the only thing we have for hair regrowth and the rest are anti-DHT for guys like finasteride, dusteride, RU, winlevi etc etc

I would still consider hair transplant, as a woman you have that choice and get really great results. Minoxidil is really toxic for heart even at low dosages and it’s just not good to be taking risks with your heart.

I tried the topical version few years ago and had heart palpitations, was hyper responder seeing results in just couple months but decided I am not going to risk damaging my heart over hairs
I overdosed on topical minoxidill used 7ml with dermarolling and didnt have heart sides. Also tried oral 15 to 20mg but that gave me heart sides for sure . But using 2mg to 5mg dont give me any issues at all. I may stick to 2mg once daily. Im doing better on finasteride than dutasteride for sure.

Last edited:

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral min works everywhere not just scalp hair, it

I overdosed on topical minoxidill used 7ml with dermarolling and didnt have heart sides. Also tried oral 15 to 20mg but that gave me heart sides for sure . But using 2mg to 5mg dont give me any issues at all. I may stick to 2mg once daily. Im doing better on finasteride than dutasteride for sure
Oral min works everywhere not just scalp hair, it

I overdosed on topical minoxidill used 7ml with dermarolling and didnt have heart sides. Also tried oral 15 to 20mg but that gave me heart sides for sure . But using 2mg to 5mg dont give me any issues at all. I may stick to 2mg once daily. Im doing better on finasteride than dutasteride for sure.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg is my dose, perfect. No side effects at all. I had no luck on finasteride hoped dutasteride pulsing 1x week may help. Just adding stemoxidine now. Good luck with what you try, for me oral minoxidil after 20 years trying everything did the trick!

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25 mg is my dose, perfect. No side effects at all. I had no luck on finasteride hoped dutasteride pulsing 1x week may help. Just adding stemoxidine now. Good luck with what you try, for me oral minoxidil after 20 years trying everything did the trick!
Ye im hopefull it Will work better for me after quitting dutasteride that sh*t thinned hair fast after 1.5 years on it. First 10 months hair got thinner and flatter on crown, so i tried oral minoxidill for 5 months 10 to 20mg daily and went through a shedding phase first 2 weeks then shedding stopped, but hair continued to thin in crown during these 5 months, but after dropping dutasteride and using finasteride instead my crown hair has stopped getting worse. Been on finasteride for like 2.5 months.