Oral Loniten (Minoxidil) and Fluid Retention

HairLoss_56

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a huge mistake and need to remedy my situation asap!

I was taking low dose loniten at 2.5 mg once weekly and things were going fine apart from the hirsutism and having to tweeze out the excess hair at the temples. However, I increased the dose to 5 mg daily and after a few weeks I noticed huge fluid retention around my stomach. I read the leaflet online and it says -

"WARNING: If LONITEN is used without a diuretic, retention of several hundred milli-equivalents of salt and corresponding volumes of water can occur within a few days, leading to increased plasma and interstitial fluid volume and local or generalized edema.

Concomitant use of an adequate diuretic is required— LONITEN Tablets must usually be administered concomitantly with a diuretic adequate to prevent fluid retention and possible congestive heart failure; a high ceiling (loop) diuretic is almost always required."

So after making the mistake of taking high dose Loniten I have since purchased a loop diuretic called Furosemide. I was wondering how many mg should I take to reduce fluid retention and how long will it take to notice results? I am guessing I should take 60 - 80 mg Furosemide with a Potassium supplement.

I have since stopped Loniten.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a huge mistake and need to remedy my situation asap!

I was taking low dose loniten at 2.5 mg once weekly and things were going fine apart from the hirsutism and having to tweeze out the excess hair at the temples. However, I increased the dose to 5 mg daily and after a few weeks I noticed huge fluid retention around my stomach. I read the leaflet online and it says -

"WARNING: If LONITEN is used without a diuretic, retention of several hundred milli-equivalents of salt and corresponding volumes of water can occur within a few days, leading to increased plasma and interstitial fluid volume and local or generalized edema.

Concomitant use of an adequate diuretic is required— LONITEN Tablets must usually be administered concomitantly with a diuretic adequate to prevent fluid retention and possible congestive heart failure; a high ceiling (loop) diuretic is almost always required."

So after making the mistake of taking high dose Loniten I have since purchased a loop diuretic called Furosemide. I was wondering how many mg should I take to reduce fluid retention and how long will it take to notice results? I am guessing I should take 60 - 80 mg Furosemide with a Potassium supplement.

I have since stopped Loniten.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
All of that is somewhat true. spironolactone is a diuretic but I can't tolerate it well. I had massive bloating and weight gain immediately once I started on oral min but it was also winter when I always gain. I lowered my dosage from 25 mg daily to about half of that and pretty much all of the swelling is gone and I lost ten pounds more or less overnight so that jibes with salt retention. spironolactone depletes NaCl massively. I used to keep a salt shaker on my night table when I was on spironolactone.

Dumping oral minoxidil entirely is throwing the baby out with the bath water. You will eventually achieve more tolerance and anything down to 1 mg for males is therapeutic.

HairLoss_56

My Regimen
Reaction score
All of that is somewhat true. spironolactone is a diuretic but I can't tolerate it well. I had massive bloating and weight gain immediately once I started on oral min but it was also winter when I always gain. I lowered my dosage from 25 mg daily to about half of that and pretty much all of the swelling is gone and I lost ten pounds more or less overnight so that jibes with salt retention. spironolactone depletes NaCl massively. I used to keep a salt shaker on my night table when I was on spironolactone.

Dumping oral minoxidil entirely is throwing the baby out with the bath water. You will eventually achieve more tolerance and anything down to 1 mg for males is therapeutic.

I stopped the oral Minoxidil (Loniten) this time last year and the weight is still not off. I jumped two jean sizes, from a 30 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. I am back down a bit now to a 32 inch waist but I still have this edema/bloating around the stomach and it only occured when I increased the dosage of oral Minoxidil. This is definitely not "normal weight gain". I have been off it for a year and recently found out about Roxithromycin which has a similar effect to Minoxidil, so I'm gonna try that for a while. (Taking it once weekly).

Do you have any idea what dosage of Furosemide I should take to get rid of this salt and water retention? I can't take Spironolactone as I am a man.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped the oral Minoxidil (Loniten) this time last year and the weight is still not off. I jumped two jean sizes, from a 30 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. I am back down a bit now to a 32 inch waist but I still have this edema/bloating around the stomach and it only occured when I increased the dosage of oral Minoxidil. This is definitely not "normal weight gain". I have been off it for a year and recently found out about Roxithromycin which has a similar effect to Minoxidil, so I'm gonna try that for a while. (Taking it once weekly).

Do you have any idea what dosage of Furosemide I should take to get rid of this salt and water retention? I can't take Spironolactone as I am a man.
I don't know what Furosemide is or does exactly. I have never heard of it so maybe tell us what it's supposed to do. Also, what is that second med that you have listed below your avatar?

HairLoss_56

My Regimen
Reaction score
Furosemide is a loop diuretic. I would be using it to remove the fluid retention I have accumulated, but I am not exactly sure what dosage and how long it would take. Oh well, guess i'll just have to trial and error it, but was curious if anyone on here had any experience with this problem.

Roxithromycin. I works in a similar way to Loniten/Minoxidil. It's an antibiotic so I only take it once a week as you would become immune to it otherwise. I take 300 mg once weekly and have noticed it thickening and darkening up areas on my beard. Iv'e not been on it long enough to give any more details.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Furosemide is a loop diuretic. I would be using it to remove the fluid retention I have accumulated, but I am not exactly sure what dosage and how long it would take. Oh well, guess i'll just have to trial and error it, but was curious if anyone on here had any experience with this problem.

Roxithromycin. I works in a similar way to Loniten/Minoxidil. It's an antibiotic so I only take it once a week as you would become immune to it otherwise. I take 300 mg once weekly and have noticed it thickening and darkening up areas on my beard. Iv'e not been on it long enough to give any more details.
Yeah but thicker beards appear to be negatively correlated with scalp hair growth. I see guys in bars who truly have as much beard hair as women have scalp hair. It's like male hair just re-appears six inches below the scalp.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
This op is a nutcase. Blames min for his pizza eating habits. While on oral min to avoid water retention lower your sodium intake thats it, it sure solved my bloated face and also use it once daily when you Wake up.