Optimism. Learn it.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand the hair loss industry has been unkind to us. I understand there have been plenty of products that are hyped to be a cure and fall flat. However, it's different now. You have some serious treatments in the pipeline that have some sound science behind them. Not all will bring you a Norwood 0 full head a hair but some of you act like these companies are not working their careers on solving hair loss. Do you know how rich the team that discovers a cure for this will be? Just try to be hopeful. I have stopped posting on this site as much as I use to because I can't stand the negative vibe from this forum. Exciting things are happening. Just be patient and offer constructive criticism; don't just comment "this is a scam blah blah blah." If you think a product is bad, tell us why. I hate the whining that's been happening on here. We are better than that! Stay optimistic my friends. Better treatments will be here. Soon.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct. I'm so sick of the "just 5 more years" circlejerk.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
People on this forum are just being realistic though.
No they're not. Being realistic is providing sound reasoning for why they don't like a treatment; people here just yell scam or 5 years away mantra

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
People on this forum are just being realistic though.

Then why come to topics, and threads like these specifically? Why not accept reality, and stop in every 5-10 years unless there's a glimmer of hope inside you that thinks optimistically it could be sooner?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand the hair loss industry has been unkind to us. I understand there have been plenty of products that are hyped to be a cure and fall flat. However, it's different now. You have some serious treatments in the pipeline that have some sound science behind them. Not all will bring you a Norwood 0 full head a hair but some of you act like these companies are not working their careers on solving hair loss. Do you know how rich the team that discovers a cure for this will be? Just try to be hopeful. I have stopped posting on this site as much as I use to because I can't stand the negative vibe from this forum. Exciting things are happening. Just be patient and offer constructive criticism; don't just comment "this is a scam blah blah blah." If you think a product is bad, tell us why. I hate the whining that's been happening on here. We are better than that! Stay optimistic my friends. Better treatments will be here. Soon.

This is not realistic, probably NONE of them will be a cure, but why don't develop a real preventive method of common baldness. This is so very much simple, ..., we only need know the trigger and initial cause of this degenerative process.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not realistic, probably NONE of them will be a cure, but why don't develop a real preventive method of common baldness. This is so very much simple, ..., we only need know the trigger and initial cause of this degenerative process.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Tsuji, Xing, Follica, and a few more are all looking at being able to do this. It's not unrealistic with the way tech is advancing.

keep

Reaction score
Definitely stay positive, after all stress is known as a secondary reason for hair loss. As slam1523 stated... we are all here waiting for some "miracle" to happen. Better sooner than later.

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
My guess is that we have better than a 50/50 chance that something will come out in 2016/17 that will give us enough years until the big break through comes around 2020. There are lots of potential treatments that we know of, and probably a hell lot more that we dont yet know about. We will make it guys, hang in there!

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I think it's easier to stay positive when treatments are working, as is your case. For people like me that are balder every single month, and/or have had bad hair transplants and repeatedly f*cked by current treatments, and manipulated by people in the industry - how?

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my way of dealing is not giving a ****. I just go around see treatments and go like "cool hope this works" and thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that we have better than a 50/50 chance that something will come out in 2016/17 that will give us enough years until the big break through comes around 2020. There are lots of potential treatments that we know of, and probably a hell lot more that we dont yet know about. We will make it guys, hang in there!

Doesnt finasteride gives these years?

keep

Reaction score
@buckthorn: Find something to do... which will distract your attention. A sport for example (running, gym, doesn't matter), or learn something which can help you in your career, to develop you as a man. There are a lot of things to do out there. Wish you well!

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@buckthorn: Find something to do... which will distract your attention. A sport for example (running, gym, doesn't matter), or learn something which can help you in your career, to develop you as a man. There are a lot of things to do out there. Wish you well!

thanks my friend. Right now it is this forum, which is probably no bueno. :)

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's easier to stay positive when treatments are working, as is your case. For people like me that are balder every single month, and/or have had bad hair transplants and repeatedly f*cked by current treatments, and manipulated by people in the industry - how?

Treatments may be working but I'm not
Happy with my hair at all. I'm suffering too.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you not understand that the "5 years away" comment originated from researchers themselves when asked by reporters and such when their product/idea might lead to a commercially available product? It's not some random figure people throw out. Researchers have admitted these figures often aren't accurate, but they're basically forced into giving a guess and are sometimes misquoted.
Scientists admit the most promising treatments are, in fact, 5-10 years away. Tsuji, whose potential treatment is probably closest to a true cure, recently said it would likely be about 10 years (though there's a little confusion about what he was referring to...). Hopefully something comes along faster but I don't see it happening in the US.

Random creams aren't going to do much. I'm not saying people should walk around depressed and hate the world - just be realistic and understand a groundbreaking treatment will likely have to go through clinical trials and won't just pop up overnight.
It was clear that Tsuji was referring to the use of iPS cells for organ regeneration. That has nothing to do with his primary hair replication work.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Study this week;

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a common heritable and androgen-dependent hair loss condition in men. Twelve genetic risk loci are known to date but it is unclear which genes at these loci are relevant for Androgenetic Alopecia. Dermal papilla cells (DPC) located in the hair bulb are the main site of androgen activity in the hair follicle. Widely used monolayer-cultured primary DPC in hair-related studies often lack dermal papilla (DP) characteristics. In contrast, immortalised DPC have high resemblance to intact DP. We derived immortalised human DPC lines from balding (BAB) and non-balding (BAN) scalp. Both BAB and BAN retain high proportions of DP signature gene and versican protein expression. We performed expression analysis of BAB and BAN and annotated Androgenetic Alopecia risk loci with differentially-expressed genes. We found evidence for AR but not EDA2R as the candidate gene at the Androgenetic Alopecia risk locus on chromosome X.

Just slay that goddamn AR already.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Study this week;

We found evidence for AR but not EDA2R as the candidate gene at the Androgenetic Alopecia risk locus on chromosome X.

Just slay that goddamn AR already.

The X-chromosomal androgen receptor (AR)/ectodysplasin A2 receptor (EDA2R) locus was the first described
and replicated risk locus for Androgenetic Alopecia (Ellis et al., 1998; Prodi et al., 2008).

We need more research ....

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
The X-chromosomal androgen receptor (AR)/ectodysplasin A2 receptor (EDA2R) locus was the first described
and replicated risk locus for Androgenetic Alopecia (Ellis et al., 1998; Prodi et al., 2008).

We need more research ....

Yes, and Androgenetic Alopecia is dependent on AR activation. No AR activation = no Androgenetic Alopecia.

I want a treatment that slays any AR expression at the hair follicle, ideally permanently and safe obviously.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, and Androgenetic Alopecia is dependent on AR activation. No AR activation = no Androgenetic Alopecia.

I want a treatment that slays any AR expression at the hair follicle, ideally permanently and safe obviously.
Wouldn't it be too late by the time someone has lost a significant amount of their hair? I'm confused by the concept of gene therapy for hair loss sufferers because by the time the gene is turned off, the person will still have way less hair with no way of regrowing it. Would gene therapy restore hair in any circumstances or is it strictly preemptive?