Opinions on various Walkers Tapes? No shine - Ultra Hold - Blue

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear a lace system with a poly rim on the back and sides.

I’ve always used Walker no shine with a bit of adhesive on the back for luck but nowhere else.

what are your opinions about Walkers No shine, ultra hold and blue tape?

Do you mix them and are some better for lace or for poly?

what are the best pros and worst cons of each in your experience?

Thanks guys

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's my go to tape, wide 1.5 inch No Shine or Ultrahold. The font tabs are ok too. But this is with all lace, don't like poly.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's my go to tape, wide 1.5 inch No Shine or Ultrahold. The font tabs are ok too. But this is with all lace, don't like poly.
I'm starting to dislike poly/thin skin too.

I want a full lace base eventually.

Full poly/thin skin was terrible and caused incredible itching as it doesn't breathe. And I have a dandruff and dry skin issue, if it's not washed every few days, it adds to the itching.
Hybrid is better but I still get itching on the poly perimeter.
I can't wait to try full lace.

The tape I like the most is Walker Extenda Bond(strips).

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm starting to dislike poly/thin skin too.

I want a full lace base eventually.

Full poly/thin skin was terrible and caused incredible itching as it doesn't breathe. And I have a dandruff and dry skin issue, if it's not washed every few days, it adds to the itching.
Hybrid is better but I still get itching on the poly perimeter.
I can't wait to try full lace.

The tape I like the most is Walker Extenda Bond(strips).
To each his own regarding base type. One thing I don't understand about the statement of breathing. Any part of your scalp that has tape or adhesive on it is not "breathing", regardless of base material.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To each his own regarding base type. One thing I don't understand about the statement of breathing. Any part of your scalp that has tape or adhesive on it is not "breathing", regardless of base material.
True kind of, except the tape I use has holes in it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH it depends on your personal experience. Some people do better with some brands better than others. You need to try different types, and see what works best for you.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH it depends on your personal experience. Some people do better with some brands better than others. You need to try different types, and see what works best for you.
Different skin types and what suits your skin best.
Some tapes people are allergic to, too on the patch test.
Supertape and Ultrahold tape are the ones that give me an angry red rash on a patch test.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried many (if not all) tapes and never got more than 7 days hold. I have an oily scalp. currently wearing walker signature tape. My preferred routine for lace with poly side/back are sensitak tape on poly, noshine on frontal part, with a 1cm gap at hairline that I glue (ultrahold) or tape with walker 3mil . Blue tapeon lace is more of daily wear for me, green very shinny, don't see much of a difference between utrahold, truetape and the minitabs but they are difficult to clean off poly

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried many (if not all) tapes and never got more than 7 days hold. I have an oily scalp. currently wearing walker signature tape. My preferred routine for lace with poly side/back are sensitak tape on poly, noshine on frontal part, with a 1cm gap at hairline that I glue (ultrahold) or tape with walker 3mil . Blue tapeon lace is more of daily wear for me, green very shinny, don't see much of a difference between utrahold, truetape and the minitabs but they are difficult to clean off poly
There's also Walker Extenda Bond, Walker Pro Flex.

7 days hold would be great for me.

I never get beyond 4 days wear sadly as the itching gets too much. However it's mostly the poly edge area now I find.
I used to wear full thin skin and the entire thing itched like crazy.

I need to try different tapes or even glue with this hybrid.
Before I go for a full lace base.

I think full lace base will be the most suitable for me anyway. Maybe with Walker Extenda Bone that has the little holes in it for added breathability and able to shampoo through it.

I have a dandruff and dry skin problem where I need to use anti dandruff shampoo every other day or I'm scratching my scalp and that's even without the hair system on.

Full lace most of it will penetrate through to my scalp.
Whereas it won't penetrate a poly base or poly edge section.

I also have 1522 tape and 3M tape if it gets to the point if I have to cleanup daily.
I rather not, way too much hassle. I'd prob give up. But those tapes are easier to remove without cleanup residue.

It's definitely worse in warmer weather. So must be more than just the dandruff and dry skin issue.
I guess certain tape is prematurely breaking down under the poly edge section, plus added sweat and bacteria.
I still get some itching from my scalp in the lace area but it's gone after using anti dandruff shampoo.
The itching remains under the poly edge section, and is worse too.

Tape I used up until now was Walker Lace Front.

Other tapes I currently have to try are:
Walker No Shine, Extenda Bond, Pro Flex,Sensi-Tak,1522,3M tape.

Last edited:

duce

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use walker blue tape but guys it only lasts about 5 to 7 days and between that it really starts to get messy on the hairline. I tried walker ultra hold white many times and somehow it doesn't stick not nearly as much as blue if not applied ultra hold glue on it, which I can't bother to do it myself. (my stylist does it once a month when I go to him to have a cut as well)
Besides, walker ultra hold is quite thicker compared to blue tape especially on the hairline and it definitely gives away a lot as well as collecting dust and dirt on it.

Isn't there a tape both doesn't break easily and not leave much residue and at the same time thin and really holds?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reading this, it seems clear that it depends on the individual. I have tried blue lace front, no shine and ultra hold.
I have oily skin and with the blue lace front tape & no shine at around 2 weeks it was a little messy. With Ultra-Hold tape and a good layer of sport scalp protector I can go 3 weeks. There is a bit of a clean-up with 3 weeks but very very minor. I think pushing it one more week is possible but might be a mess to clean-up.