Opinions on Rogaine

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using Rogaine for a couple of years but I am now questioning its effectiveness. I did think it could be slowing down the balding process but without going back in time there is no way of knowing. I recently took a break from it for a week and my head was far less itchy and I also found that not as many hairs fell out. Since I have been back on it I have had loads of hairs fall out! What do you lot think about Rogaine?

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rogaine does not slow down the balding process, it simply extends the anagen phase of the hairs growth cycle resulting (in most people) in an increase in haircount.

The underlying balding process (Dihydrotestosterone 'attacking' the hair follicle) will continune unchecked, eventually the additional 'offset' of hair grown with Rogaine will be less than hair lost to male pattern baldness, this usually happens around year 2 (which fits in with your questioning it's efficacy at year 2).

The PPG (as opposed to the active ingredient 'minoxidil') is most likely to be causeing your itchy scalp, Dr Lee makes a reduced PPG minoxidil formula (like Rogaine) using this and a shampoo like T/Gel or Nizoral (or even both) on a regular basis such bring the itching to an end.

What do you lot think about Rogaine?

Rogaine and other minoxidil formulas are the best growth stimulants we currently have, Rogaine works well in the majority of men with male pattern baldness who have not gone completely bald. The drying time can be an issue for some (it was too much for me) so products like Dr Lees standard minoxidil formula (which drys in 15 minutes) should be considered.

Bu remember Rogaine will not stop you losing your hair, it will simply provide some additional offset, kind of like a choice between standing on the deck of a sinking ship or standing at the top of the mast, the guy on the mast will will appear to survive longer with his offset of additional height but if you don't stop the ship from sinking they are both going to end up in the soup. Finasteride (Propecia) will slow down or stop the balding process, Rogaine will stimulate growth, use both.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
Bu remember Rogaine will not stop you losing your hair, it will simply provide some additional offset, kind of like a choice between standing on the deck of a sinking ship or standing at the top of the mast, the guy on the mast will will appear to survive longer with his offset of additional height but if you don't stop the ship from sinking they are both going to end up in the soup.

Nice analogy, Tynan! Here's another that might be a slightly better one, based on everyday experience: You know how a lot of people (especially women) start to slowly lose height as they get elderly, due to loss of calcium from their bones? Well, there's a new product which fights that common affliction of ageing...it's called "Bryan's Magic Shoe Lifts". It's a one-inch lift that you slip into each shoe, and provides an additional offset of height that fights the shrinking process. Here are some questions and answers that come with the package insert for this product:

Question: If I stop using this product, will I lose all the height that I gained?
Answer: You will quickly lose the height that you had gained with the product, should you stop using it.

Question: Does the product work for only a short period of time?
Answer: No, the product works for as long as you use it, in the sense that it always provides you an extra inch of height above what you would normally have without it.

Question: But the label says "This product has not been shown to be effective for more than 48 weeks." Doesn't that mean that it stops working after 48 weeks?
Answer: No, it means that after about 48 weeks, most people lose enough of their natural height that they fall below their original starting baseline, even while using Bryan's Magic Shoe Lifts. However, their height is still better than it would be, without using the product at all.

Question: So if it doesn't really interfere with the fundamental shrinking process, what's the point of using this product?
Answer: It buys you some additional time. It makes your situation a little better than it would have been without it. It gives you a little extra "offset" of height, as long as you use the product.

Bryan

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I prefare my sinking ship analogy because it has a definate end (the sinking of the ship) which illustrates complete hairloss.

In your analogy the shrinking senior could indefinately add more shoe lifts to further offset his or her height, with my anology the mast is finite and once you have reached the top (the point at which minoxidil will 'recruit' no futher follicles to the cause) the sinking action of the boat will start to lower you into the ocean even though you spent 48 weeks (sh*t ! this analogy is falling apart!) climbing higher and higher (increased hair count) above the ocean.

So when the boat starts to sink you will start to move away from the ocean untill you reach the masts peak and start to sink with the boat.

When you start Rogaine you will start to gain more hair untill you reach minoxidils peak effect then you will start to sink into the black ocean of baldness.

Plug the leak with finasteride.

Bryan where can I purchase your magic shoe lifts ?

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys crack me up. They were both good analogys guys.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PartTimeNinja said:
Tynan how are you man! Welcome back!

Your avatar is kinda freaky - what is it?

Cheers for the welcome.

My avatar is magic, it is different for everyone who looks at it.

It usually shows itself as someone you know or someone you have murdered or something you desire.

It shows up on my screen as a small dancing 'hasslehoff'

What are you getting ?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Now Bryan it's better than that!! minoxidil. would grow something on the body not just an artificial orthotic!! 8) :shock:

minoxidil. might just keep growing that foot pad also? You never know. :)

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
PartTimeNinja said:
Tynan how are you man! Welcome back!

Your avatar is kinda freaky - what is it?

Cheers for the welcome.

My avatar is magic, it is different for everyone who looks at it.

It usually shows itself as someone you know or someone you have murdered or something you desire.

It shows up on my screen as a small dancing 'hasslehoff'

What are you getting ?

I'm getting a male goth dwarf. But I like it. Alot.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PartTimeNinja said:
I'm getting a male goth dwarf. But I like it. Alot.

That's ok then, the thing is some people said they can see a creepy little girl with glasses, these people died shortly afterwards ! :shock:

If I were you I would be thankfull for the goth.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I see the creepy little girl doll with glasses. Believe me, it is kinda creepy.