Opinions On My Hair Loss (pics), Should I Go Ahead And Start Propecia?

Scottie957

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a repost from the Propecia section. Sorry. But that thread went sour quickly. So I wanted to see if I will get better answers here.

Anyways...

I'm debating if I should start Propecia/finasteride now.

The side effects and horror stories here scare me (the shedding, watery semen, skin redness, and especially gyno). I'm especially afraid of the permanent gyno or loss of libido.

And I'm also scared to go see my doctor now. I know it sounds silly; but since we are in a Covid-19 pandemic, I'm afraid if they won't take me seriously if I request a visit for Male Pattern Baldness, and/or just tell me to see another doctor. If I start taking Propecia, I would like to be monitored once/twice a year with bloodwork to make sure Propecia is not affecting my estrogen/estradiol levels or something.

I'm about to turn 29. Male Pattern baldness does run in my family. Thyroid issues run in my family as well (not sure if that matters). I had some bloodwork done a few months ago and my Thyroid looks fine. I didn't see anything about DHT levels or estrogen/estradiol levels (I'll be sure to request those next time). But I saw that my Testosterone was around 350, and the recommended range was between 300-1000, so I look to be on the lower end. I also still suffer from light acne (but maybe due to a bad habit of picking at my face). Let me know if any other info will help.

Here is a comparison from two years ago to now. You can kind of use the freckle as a point of reference in my left temple (in the right side of the photo):

April 2018:

View attachment 142028

Today:

View attachment 142026

Here are more photos of my hairline now:

View attachment 142020

View attachment 142021

View attachment 142022

View attachment 142023

View attachment 142024

View attachment 142024

View attachment 142025

If older photos will help, here's an old thread where I was monitoring my hairloss two years ago which includes photos from my past:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...g-is-it-really-hair-loss.113465/#post-1654239

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you overweight or experiencing any libido/erectile issues? 350 T is low for someone your age

Scottie957

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you overweight or experiencing any libido/erectile issues? 350 T is low for someone your age
I'm not overweight. But I have put on some weight the last couple months. But I plan to put my muscle back on and lose some weight. I was around 180, now I am almost 200 and 6 foot. I'm confident I can get back to my usual weight.

No libido issues. But I wish my erections were harder, but I think that is due to my p**rn addiction which I hope I can put to an end soon lmao.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not overweight. But I have put on some weight the last couple months. But I plan to put my muscle back on and lose some weight. I was around 180, now I am almost 200 and 6 foot. I'm confident I can get back to my usual weight.

No libido issues. But I wish my erections were harder, but I think that is due to my p**rn addiction which I hope I can put to an end soon lmao.

your hair could possibly be thinning but seeing how it basically had no change from 2018 to 2020 and your hair is still full and your hairline still good I wouldn't go on finasteride yet, but wait for more replies, that's just my opinion

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I am seeing the freckle correct in the 2018 pic it looks like your hair has crept back a tiny amount imo.

Any thinning up top?

I am older and have some thinning but yet to take the plunge

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a repost from the Propecia section. Sorry. But that thread went sour quickly. So I wanted to see if I will get better answers here.

Anyways...

I'm debating if I should start Propecia/finasteride now.

The side effects and horror stories here scare me (the shedding, watery semen, skin redness, and especially gyno). I'm especially afraid of the permanent gyno or loss of libido.

And I'm also scared to go see my doctor now. I know it sounds silly; but since we are in a Covid-19 pandemic, I'm afraid if they won't take me seriously if I request a visit for Male Pattern Baldness, and/or just tell me to see another doctor. If I start taking Propecia, I would like to be monitored once/twice a year with bloodwork to make sure Propecia is not affecting my estrogen/estradiol levels or something.

I'm about to turn 29. Male Pattern baldness does run in my family. Thyroid issues run in my family as well (not sure if that matters). I had some bloodwork done a few months ago and my Thyroid looks fine. I didn't see anything about DHT levels or estrogen/estradiol levels (I'll be sure to request those next time). But I saw that my Testosterone was around 350, and the recommended range was between 300-1000, so I look to be on the lower end. I also still suffer from light acne (but maybe due to a bad habit of picking at my face). Let me know if any other info will help.

Here is a comparison from two years ago to now. You can kind of use the freckle as a point of reference in my left temple (in the right side of the photo):

April 2018:

View attachment 142028

Today:

View attachment 142026

Here are more photos of my hairline now:

View attachment 142020

View attachment 142021

View attachment 142022

View attachment 142023

View attachment 142024

View attachment 142024

View attachment 142025

If older photos will help, here's an old thread where I was monitoring my hairloss two years ago which includes photos from my past:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...g-is-it-really-hair-loss.113465/#post-1654239

How is your haie on the top? As well on the back? Is there a noticeable pattern when you cut your hair short

Scottie957

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I am seeing the freckle correct in the 2018 pic it looks like your hair has crept back a tiny amount imo.

Any thinning up top?

I am older and have some thinning but yet to take the plunge

I haven't heavily monitored it recently. I'll take some photos later. But I believe I am thinning around the mid scalp. Here's an old thread of mine:

When I look in my bathroom mirrors, it looks about that same. I believe I can combat that thinning pretty easily with minoxidil. So I'm not that scared of it.

I'm just worried about the receding.