Onset of baldness

When did you begin balding

• Total voters

Reaction score
Not sure if this survey has been done before. But I'd be interested to see what the community's results for this would be, and if anyone has general studies of the onset of baldness in populations. Ideally with country to country comparisons.

Theory of Mine

I theorise that the onset of male pattern baldness occurs when one's level of DHT (and therefore Testosterone) is above a threshold level. Children and Women have testosterone in levels far too low to have an impact on their hair, even if they do have hair which is sensitive to DHT. When DHT exceeds a threshold (which varies over the scalp hairs in the M shape pattern and Vertex radial pattern), these hairs progressively shrink.

M shape pattern (Frontal hair loss): The hairs at the very front are the most DHT sensitive, as you go further back, the hairs become more DHT resistant.

Vertex shape pattern (Crown hair loss): The hairs at the focal point of the crown are the most DHT sensitive, as you move away from this point, the hairs become more DHT resistant.

If it were simply a case of having DHT sensitive hairs, and non-DHT sensitive hairs. Then the onset of male pattern baldness would result in *ALL* DHT sensitive hairs miniaturising at the *EXACT* same time. So we know there is varying levels of sensitivity (or vulnerability) amongst the DHT sensitive hairs.

Testosterone in males steadily increases until around somewhere around age 30-40, and then it declines (along with libido). This is why in males that are susceptible to male pattern baldness. If they haven't experienced balding by around age 40. They've essentially dodged it. And if they do experience it at this age, it'll be at a slower rate than those in their early 20's (unless they have a radical change in diet/exercise/sexual regime.) Patrick Stewart (Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek TNG) was quoted as saying that he lost all his hair in the space of a year around age 19.

The mechanism behind natural diffuse hair thinning at much older ages (50+) occurs in males and females, and I believe is something different.

Reaction score
FredTheBelgian said:
I have diffuse hair loss, but it's still male pattern baldness, how do you explain my type of sensitity, my type of loss, etc. :)

I don't know Fred. Maybe a sudden bout of stress. I've seen your video, your hair looks good.

I don't quite know what's going on with my hair:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/a1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/a2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/a3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/a4.jpg

This is my hair brushed forward.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/b1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/5820974944/ohno/b2.jpg

Is this male pattern baldness. I've got it most severe at the temples as you can see. Then I have moderately thin hair all over the top. Then the rest is full, including a big tuff of hair at the front. Will the big tuff of hair eventually go too? it shows no signs of it at the moment. That's why I'm not sure what's going on. :(

I think it's diffuse pattern loss?

Reaction score
Is the general consensus that the later you encounter balding, less aggressive it is? e.g. you're less likely to be headed for a Norwood 7, or the it'll take much longer to get there?

@Fred, I've updated my pic urls. I think I have a similar condition to you...

Sorry when I said diffuse thinning amongst older people. I'm referring to a general slow thinning of hair that all men and women get, gradually over the decades as they age. Different to male pattern baldness.

Admittedly, I'm new to this, and so are just speculating, formulating theories, and trying to bounce ideas off.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well I agree basically, but if a man is 40 and his androgen levels are decreasing but his hair sensitivity to androgens is increasing he could actually lose hair faster even with lowering androgens. There is something like that going on because older men can start going bald even as their androgen levels decline. Also older men tend to grow more body hair which seems weird if androgens are decreasing and are caused by androgens?

s.a.f

Reaction score
top said:
Theory of Mine

I theorise that the onset of male pattern baldness occurs when one's level of DHT (and therefore Testosterone) is above a threshold level. Children and Women have testosterone in levels far too low to have an impact on their hair, even if they do have hair which is sensitive to DHT.

You can have extremley low DHT and still go bald, its not the levels its the follicles genetic threshold/sensitivity to them.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
top said:
Theory of Mine

I theorise that the onset of male pattern baldness occurs when one's level of DHT (and therefore Testosterone) is above a threshold level. Children and Women have testosterone in levels far too low to have an impact on their hair, even if they do have hair which is sensitive to DHT.

You can have extremley low DHT and still go bald, its not the levels its the follicles genetic threshold/sensitivity to them.

It is both. Women have extremely low DHT levels and they don't go bald. Well my mother's temples are a little receded to a NW2 level but she is 55 years old.

top said:
Is this male pattern baldness. I've got it most severe at the temples as you can see. Then I have moderately thin hair all over the top. Then the rest is full, including a big tuff of hair at the front. Will the big tuff of hair eventually go too? it shows no signs of it at the moment. That's why I'm not sure what's going on. :(

I think it's diffuse pattern loss?

yes it is male pattern baldness. I have the same type of hairloss but not as severe in terms of diffuse thinning and I also have an island of hair in front. My grand father had the same thing, it evaporated in the end past his 30thies.