Only 2 Weeks

nybnr

Reaction score
I'm 26yrs old when I started taking Propecia. I took it for 2 Weeks! When I begin noticing side effects (i.e. Low/No Libido, ED, brain fog) I discontinued use. However, it's been over 3 Weeks since I've stopped and the side effects still remain! How long before they go away, if at all? I thought it only takes a few days for the drug to leave your system? What can I do? Will it ever return competely to normal?

Jm0311

Reaction score
are you being serious or are a a fear mongerer/spammer? just to clear things up

nybnr

Reaction score
How long does it normally take tho? I freakin going crazy here. The first couple of days I could handle, but now it's been over 3 weeks!

Pondle

Reaction score
DHT levels should return to baseline within about 2 weeks. If you're still having problems with your libido, maybe it isn't related to finasteride.

nybnr

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure it's related to this drug. Before I took it I NEVER had a problem.

nybnr

Reaction score
not to sound like a broken record or damend answer, but how long? I mean at what point should I start to worry (not that I haven't already)?

Also, is it idiotic to consider to start taking it again if and when I do get back to normal? Would my body have adapted to it the second time around? Odds are the effects would come back tho right? just wishful thinking I suppose...try to get the best of both worlds.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
nybnr said:
not to sound like a broken record or damend answer, but how long? I mean at what point should I start to worry (not that I haven't already)?

Also, is it idiotic to consider to start taking it again if and when I do get back to normal? Would my body have adapted to it the second time around? Odds are the effects would come back tho right? just wishful thinking I suppose...try to get the best of both worlds.

Sometimes, not always, people experience the negative side effects initially and then they wane or go away completely after a few weeks. You may have quit using too soon.

nybnr

Reaction score
ok...so, even if I did quit too soon shouldn't I have gone back to normal by now? That's actually part of the reason I stopped. After experiencing the side effects I needed to know that if I discontinued use I would return back to normal. Then consider it again. BUT I HAVEN"T!

bald30

Reaction score
I have taken propecia for 1 1/2 year and it gave me numerous side effects. I was having the same side effects for about 2 months then finally decided that it did nothing for me but it went away after 2 months. The thing about propecia nobody knows about the true side effects just typically shedding, sexual drive and possible acne. It also depends on your body because different people will have different reactions so there is definetly no correct answer for side effects. Nybnr I would advice you to go to your doctor and ask a second opinion because we are not doctors here. Also I notice there are marketers or promoters for propecia in this forum because everytime you ask a question about propecia or has a negative thing to say about it you will get a quick defensive response. So i would advice to see your doctor.

nybnr

Reaction score
Problem is I've been to both my primary doctor, a second opinon doctor, a Uriogist, and an Endocrinolgyst. All have said the same thing...quoting Merck studies. That is should have come back within a few days but to give it time. Problem is...it's been over 3 weeks! Starting to go a lil crazy if you know what I mean. Could it be permenent?

Sahar

Reaction score
I tried taking Propecia 2 years ago, and after 3 weeks my libidometer went to zero plus i had problems getting it up so i panicked and stopped.

Now, i don't want to scare you, but , libido wise, i believe i'm still not at the level i was before that brief Propecia episode and while i don't really have an erection problem i did have those for quite a while (months) after quiting and to this day i feel its not quite the same as once was.

I must stress that it's all my subjective experience and that's how it should be taken...so there is a chance that the initial erection problems threw me into a psychological feedback loop that lasted well after the clinical problem went away, and my memories of the past are selective or nostalgic.

just my 0.02 shekels...:)

G

I'm surprised nobody has told you this yet, but your initial "sides" were probably created by you and not the drug. This is quite a common occurence on these boards. People so strongly BELIEVE that they're going to get all of these sides that they get the libido side effect.

The fact that you still have these weeks after taking finasteride probably reinforces that you psychologically created these sides. Maybe not, but since < 2% experienced ANY side effects that's likely the case.

Your doctors are right. Do some research here, once you feel more comfortable with the medication you will probably convince yourself to go back on it.

Pondle

Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
I'm surprised nobody has told you this yet, but your initial "sides" were probably created by you and not the drug. This is quite a common occurence on these boards. People so strongly BELIEVE that they're going to get all of these sides that they get the libido side effect.

The fact that you still have these weeks after taking finasteride probably reinforces that you psychologically created these sides. Maybe not, but since < 2% experienced ANY side effects that's likely the case.

Your doctors are right. Do some research here, once you feel more comfortable with the medication you will probably convince yourself to go back on it.

I absolutely agree with Fairtax. The Propecia trials showed that there was very little difference in reported side effects between the treatment group and the placebo group.

Sahar

Reaction score
The sides i had AFTER i stopped taking it may be partly or fully psychological, but I fail to see how complete lack of morning erections can be attributed to psychological factors. also, i had 2 weeks of increased libido before the bad sides started kicking in...

abcdefg

Reaction score
People defend propecia because its about the only thing today that works for male pattern baldness. Its almost propecia or go bald. Yes there are loads of unproven things, and some may help like spironolactone. Its all just a complete guess on anything other then the big 2. I dont consider nizoral that important it is not FDA approved to fight hairloss its a shampoo with a few weak studies.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia is sh*t. There is nothing mental about it. When I started Propecia ( Proscar ) I was sure I am not gonna have any side effects. I did not even care. I took it everyday without thinking about sides....on the 10th day...kaboom...all the sides came rushing in...

Its not mental..its just there...the sides are there...

Thankfully after 5 days of no Propecia I am coming back to normal...

I have lost lot of hair...i wanna start back on Propecia...but not at the cost of my libido, erections, sex life...NOP....Propecia is the sh*t...I repeat