Online Dating and the Death of the 'Mixed-Attractiveness' Couple

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://priceonomics.com/online-dating-and-the-death-of-the-mixed/

Instead it’s well established among academics interested in dating that “opposites attractâ€￾ is a myth. Study after study supports the idea of “assortative matingâ€￾: the hypothesis that people generally date and marry partners who are like them in terms of social class, educational background, race, personality, and, of course, attractiveness. To use fratboy vernacular: 7s date other 7s, and a 3 has no chance with a 10.
There is an exception, however, to this seeming rule that people always date equally attractive people: The longer two people know each other before they start dating, the more likely it is that a 3 will date a 6, or a 7 will marry a 10.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a very interesting article, I'm reading it now, it has far more content than the usual fluff.

This part corroborates something that Fred has been arguing for a while:

the data is clear that men’s preferences are much more homogenous than women’s. “There are women who 95% of men say yes to, and there’s nothing like that for men,” says McLeod. “A man is really attractive if 40% of women say yes.”

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yeah this article makes complete sense.

In fact I observed this similar insight in back on the playgrounds of elementary academia.

Back then if you could keep up with the idiosynchratic pace of the herd long enough, there's a fair chance then by early spring you'll be pairing off with your

buddy's girl you were oogley eying ever since art class ended just before our Holiday break.
Time is the great equalizer. Romance's waiting games remains the same, it's only that we grown-ups get sloppier each new year.

Good post David