One detail I would like to know about RepliCel...

corvidae

Reaction score
The research fascinates me, but it seems like it is only a temporary fix. Granted, a long term temporary fix. Am I wrong in this regard?
My question is, with the injection, does it maintain your hair for good past there, or does it need to be redone every x amount of time?

I understand not much information exists, but theoritical or research supported answers are fine

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, your assumptions are correct.

Effectively, what seems to happen during balding is that the number of DP and DSC cells is gradually reduced due to immune-response like effects (thanks to PGD2's dual-use in hair cycling and immune responses as well as Dkk1 and the absence of VEGF, FGF, etc in adult human skin) leading to apoptosis of these cells. The fewer DP cells you have, the more miniaturized the hair sprouting from a follicle. The fewer DSC cells you have, the fewer DP cells remain.

RepliCel basically aims to reset this state. By replenishing the number of DSC cells, the number of DP cells is increased again and the follicle starts its life anew. Under the assumption that the follicle was restored to full health, i.e. original DSC and DP cell numbers (DP should be around 500), it will have a pre-balding state again. So the time until it goes completely miniaturized again will be the same as when it miniaturized the first time (all other things being equal, i.e. DHT levels and AR count/sensitivity).

Example: If a hair follicle completely miniaturized 8 years after balding commenced and if RepliCel's RCH-01 replenished this follicle's DSC reservoir completely, it will take 8 years again until it is completely miniaturized again.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think they take stem cells from the back of the head and we know that the hair form the back is permanent, so maybe the new hair is permanent too. Only time will tell if this new treatment gives a good results. Till then we will only guess.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, David Hall indeed hinted at than in an interview, but I'm not buying it (yet). Unless the ARs are really on the DSC, but I don't know if that's the case.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member, I have read about replicel and histogen. What I'm curious about is, in Androgenetic Alopecia sometimes there's inflammation involved from what I've read. If stem cells are injected in the inflamed scalp, won't that create a problem?

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
a) In RepliCel's protocol, no stem cells are injected into the scalp, but only cultivated DSC cells
b) Even if it was stem cells that were injected, why do you think there would be a problem? I see no indication for that whatsoever.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry benjt for the dumb question, I still have a lot of reading up to do. I'm trying to read posts on this site now and then, I have to say very interesting but sometimes very difficult for somebody who speaks another language. A lot of people sound like they know what they're talking about, I hopefully will learn more to keep up with the conversations. Anyway , it seems like you have answered my question already in this post. So there will be miniaturization again in the long run, sounds about right. So the only way there will be a cure is when they can fix the process inside the body(DHT, androgen sensitivity). I'm not willing to pay 30.000 euros if I have to worry about miniaturization again, and putting minoxidil on my head to control it everyday (5000 euros maybe).

- - - Updated - - -

Are the androgen receptors not located in the dermal papillae?

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think they take DSC cells from the back of the head which makes them permanent. Maybe i am wrong.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
How much % of hair are they going to be able to regrow you think? Will they be able to regrow 100%?

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How much % of hair are they going to be able to regrow you think? Will they be able to regrow 100%?

We will only guess, but nobody knows. Only time ( and clinical trials of course) will tell how much hair they can regrow and how long this new hair will be permanent.

ma12199

Reaction score
We will only guess, but nobody knows. Only time ( and clinical trials of course) will tell how much hair they can regrow and how long this new hair will be permanent.

when do we get to see the results from the phase two clinical trials? I'm guessing it's a couple of years?

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
when do we get to see the results from the phase two clinical trials? I'm guessing it's a couple of years?

I thought next year, but I could be wrong. I'm looking all the time on the Internet for some news, but nothing, no updates. I just hope next year the results will be spectacular.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought next year, but I could be wrong. I'm looking all the time on the Internet for some news, but nothing, no updates. I just hope next year the results will be spectacular.
Maybe they will be spectacular, but maybe they will be disapointed. Depends on what kind of expectations we have. For someone 50% regrow is spectacular, but for someone that is disapointed, because he expected full head with hairs. We will know that in next 2-3 years, because they will testing now on 250 patients.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will be spectacular, but maybe they will be disapointed. Depends on what kind of expectations we have. For someone 50% regrow is spectacular, but for someone that is disapointed, because he expected full head with hairs. We will know that in next 2-3 years, because they will testing now on 250 patients.

I'll go with 50% or more, not less.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RepliCel's David Hall claims that the injection sites acquire immunity against androgen-induced miniaturization, but he has never explained how that is supposed to work. If he's right there will be no more loss after RepliCel's treatment, if he's wrong you'll need to refresh after like 10 years.

ma12199

Reaction score
RepliCel's David Hall claims that the injection sites acquire immunity against androgen-induced miniaturization, but he has never explained how that is supposed to work. If he's right there will be no more loss after RepliCel's treatment, if he's wrong you'll need to refresh after like 10 years.

No one knows if you need to redo the treatment after 2 years or 10, pure speculation

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
No one knows if you need to redo the treatment after 2 years or 10, pure speculation
I don't care that much either, only question for me is WHEN and DOES IT WORK. I much rather fly to Japan every 2:nd year than rub Minoxidil in my head twice a day.