One Derm Told Me I'm Balding And One Told Me I'm Not?

Lacoste

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, guys
I went to a derm like 6 months ago and she glanced at my hair and told me I'm balding and won't be having much hair when I'm older.
I went to a different derm (specialized in hairloss) and she told me I'm not balding at all.
I'm not sure who to believe.

https://imgur.com/a/Wh02Fq1

I think my right temple and right side of my hairline is thinning.
I'm 19 years old.
My dad is 55 and is NW1.5 (only now he's starting to thin) and my older brother has okay hair.
Thoughts?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Wait. Its nothing major, and you have plenty of time later even if you see a small bald spot to take action. You want to see obvious male pattern baldness before starting on a serious drug like propecia. You could use nizoral/minoxidil right now if you wanted, but I would wait on those too.
Does not look like male pattern baldness at all to me.

Lacoste

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait. Its nothing major, and you have plenty of time later even if you see a small bald spot to take action. You want to see obvious male pattern baldness before starting on a serious drug like propecia. You could use nizoral/minoxidil right now if you wanted, but I would wait on those too.
Does not look like male pattern baldness at all to me.
Might it be a maturing hairline?
Should I stop worrying?

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
looks ok to me aswell. take pictures every 6 months in same lighting and position and if you notice any change, look into finasteride

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one is seeing what I'm seeing. Your hairline is intact but I see the loss of density and what appears to be the chewed up look of thinning/weakening hair. Your lighting is harsh, but it's not bad yet. Can you show some pictures in normal lighting but not as dark as your first 2 pictures?

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I’d say that is pattern baldness, I don’t personally ascribe to mature hairlines beyond NW1 being a thing. In 99% of cases any amount of miniaturisation is a sign of Androgenetic Alopecia, and I can see that all across the hairline. Obviously it is minimal but once you have the genetic predisposition it doesn’t just go away, it will continue to progress.

Last edited:

Lacoste

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's a couple of other pictures I took.

https://imgur.com/a/1TwMM8v

I have another appointment with a derm in a couple of months.
I don't really mind going bald, just not at an early age.
I actually used minoxidil after my first derm told me I was balding, I applied it on the right side of my hairline for like a week and then stopped.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don`t worry, 95% of guys in this forum dream with your hair. You have a dense hair, black and thick. Try to mantain it
VuCMAPR.jpg

I actually used minoxidil after my first derm told me I was balding, I applied it on the right side of my hairline for like a week and then stopped.
how much time you used minoxidil? A side effect of minoxidil, or any treatment altering hair cycle, can cause hair loss, more in healthy people.

Last edited:

Lacoste

My Regimen
Reaction score
how much time you used minoxidil? A side effect of minoxidil, or any treatment altering hair cycle, can cause hair loss, more in healthy people.
One or two weeks, after my first derm told me I was balding.
I applied it all over my right side of my hairline, because that's where I was concerned about.
I can't see any hairloss on my left side.

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The derm that told you that you're balding is right and wrong. I wouldn't call it "balding" in your case, though. I think the right word is "receding", based on the fact your density is still great. I assume you're crown is not affected by male pattern baldness?

Blatantly saying that you won't have much hair in the future is the wrong part. I'm not saying it's impossible, but nobody can really predict.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you have little thinning going on ,but overall looks good.take experts advice and keep healthy lifestyle.