Once a day minoxidil

eaglescout

Reaction score
Hey ive been on proscar (divided into fifths) for a year ago today... not happy with the results im gonna start taken minoxidil at night. My hair is kinda thin in the back but its not noticeable yet, the part that bothers me is in the front. I also picked up on nizoral about two months ago as well. What do you think my chances are at this being successful for me to regrow. I am currently 20 and would say im a 2.5. Also do you think i will have a bad shed :(?
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k190/ ... ure012.jpg

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the rule (not that there are any rules) for minoxidil is 5ml once per day for maintenance and twice per day for regrowth (if any).

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there are some studies that show using 5% minoxidil with Retin A is as successful at regrowth as just plain old minoxidil twice a day. I'm not sure how reliable these studies are (anyone know?) but thats what I read.

I currently use minoxidil 5% with Retin A once a day and have done for about 2 months. I have noticed a few of the velus hairs on my hair line starting to turn terminal but are still very thin, and some of the velus hairs growing in length quite a bit more then before I started minoxidil.

Too early to tell for me whether it works as well as twice a day but if your only applying once like me i'd recommend going for the minoxidil 5% with Retin A. I get mine from DR Reddy. Be warned tho you are more likely to get scalp irritation using minoxidil with Retin A as the the Retin A is a scalp peel.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Typical rule of thumb for minoxidil:
1mL 2x daily for regrowth.

1mL 1x daily for maintenance.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is dr. lees minoxidil as effective as 5%??

Felk

Reaction score
-cj- said:

Even though it's a "rule of thumb" i still think it's oversimplified. It makes out that using minoxidil once a day will maintain your hair, when it obviously won't. Any "maintaining" effect minoxidil has on your hair is simply from the "offset of regrowth" it provides.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
is dr. lees minoxidil as effective as 5%??

Actually I think the one I use is DR Lee's not DR Reddy as I said. Yeah its 5% so should be as effective although i've heard some people question this as it quick drying which could mean less is absorbed I think. I wont use it twice a day cause it sticks yer hair together and makes it look horrible, and also makes it look thinner cause its all glooped together. Probs only good to use twice a day if you have very short hair, mines medium length and just doesnt work for twice a day

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fallout Boy said:
not 5ml...just follow the directions on the box. I think it's only 1ml.

Yeah, sorry, Fallout, a bit of a typo there by myself - 1ml of minoxidil 5% twice per day is what I meant to say. Just testing y'all.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
-cj- said:

Even though it's a "rule of thumb" i still think it's oversimplified. It makes out that using minoxidil once a day will maintain your hair, when it obviously won't. Any "maintaining" effect minoxidil has on your hair is simply from the "offset of regrowth" it provides.

nothing wrong with simplicity. You sound like a Shelton Minime :lol:

eaglescout

Reaction score
Yah but i was wondering, seeing that im already taking propecia for maintance wouldnt the once a day rogaine be enough for some regrowth. Also if im using nizoral will that reduce the initial shed?