Once a day application - what the hell??

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil once a day because I don't see why it cannot be effective. There has been proof that once a day is effective from users on this forum site.

However, the shed. I'm a patient person, but I've been using minoxidil once a night for what must be 4 weeks now and I am STILL shedding considerably, I'm losing so much that I have to wipe the hair off my hands in the shower so that I can continue to wash my hair. My bed gets covered in hairs, I feel that my thinner areas where applying have got even thinner, and the shedding just seems relentless. I'm bored I'm sick of the shedding, the stop of the shed would be enough for me to see a progress, but I'm starting to feel now that the longer I use minoxidil, the better I would have been without it over that time period.

Should I stick it out, or dump it? I lead a busy life, and while I usually intend to use s5 cream with it, I dont always have the time or remember to, its a pain enough to apply once a day, twice a day I'd hate, and once a day already makes my hair as greasy as a used pizza box.

I was expecting a longer shed with once a day, but it's been 4 weeks. It's becoming tedious.

I wont resort to finasteride. It's not something that apeals to me. I'm after maintenance, not growth, watching my hair rush down the plug hole, litter the bathroom and my bed is not something that is reassuring me of the treatment.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Timi said:
Take finasteride

Timi

I've already said I won't take that. I'm asking opinions on my experience with minoxidil specifically. I'm thinking about RU or CB in the future, but since I cant afford either, I do not want to take finasteride.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
cassin said:
Been using it once a day for many years and have had no problems.

Ah great, did you feel that personally you experienced a longer duration of shedding? I'm well into my fourth week and I'm still shedding quite a bit of hair. It's still a shed, because it's at least treble the amount I'd lose before minoxidil.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
moseymoose said:
Timi said:
Take finasteride

Timi

I've already said I won't take that. I'm asking opinions on my experience with minoxidil specifically. I'm thinking about RU or CB in the future, but since I cant afford either, I do not want to take finasteride.

If minoxidil isn't working very effectively for you then you will have no choice but to either lose hair or take finasteride.

T

Timi

minoxidil does for me nothing
it makes all worser as bevor
and have for "me" more side effects as finasteride

Timi

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey OP
if you are looking for maintenance than minoxidil is the wrong drug,
without finasteride its going to be a difficult battle, as you need something to lower DHT
minoxidil is just a growth stimulant

trust me mate, in 2008 i stared minoxidil only (due to being scared of finasteride)
and for the first 12 months things we okay, but you will loose ground,
in 2010 i started finasteride, but i wished i started it in 2008,

what ever you deicide just keep in mind that DHT will still attack your hair
also you could try tapering on finasteride starting at half a dose and upping it when you feel comfortable

Cassin

Reaction score
moseymoose said:
cassin said:
Been using it once a day for many years and have had no problems.

Ah great, did you feel that personally you experienced a longer duration of shedding? I'm well into my fourth week and I'm still shedding quite a bit of hair. It's still a shed, because it's at least treble the amount I'd lose before minoxidil.

I've never really had a shed that I noticed really. My hair has always been very short.

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
Sheds, especially from the notorious shed-inducer known as minoxidil, can produce a shed that lasts anywhere from 30-90 days. dont get discouraged, look ahead to the 6 month mark.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
well to be honest, the amount of hair that I have shed since starting minoxidil, normally i would not have lost that much hair in even 4 months, I am considering quitting. I don't want to take finasteride, if it was no hair or finasteride I'd choose no hair, I'm afraid that any even if mild effect from a drug I dont want it. I'd rather try RU when I can afford it.

I've already gone into the finasteride thing before, it is pointless argueing the point. I will NOT take it. As for minoxidil, I'm now worried what will happen if I stop taking it while its making me shed. Will my hair just continue where it left off. Or will minoxidil have made things worse by forcing a premature shed. etc, I've receeded lot since starting minoxidil, where before it wasnt really a great problem, I still had my hairline. I don't anymore.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
mashang said:
Hey OP
without finasteride its going to be a difficult battle, as you need something to lower DHT

trust me mate, in 2008 i stared minoxidil only (due to being scared of finasteride)

also you could try tapering on finasteride starting at half a dose and upping it when you feel comfortable

I'm not taking finasteride. End of. I'm using spironolactone and keto cream, but since I find it all such a pain to keep on top of I'm not consistent. Until I can afford RU or CB, spironolactone will do as an anti androgen.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
mashang said:
Hey OP

Ã￾ strongly disagree. This is a mythology spread all over the internet by people, who don't respond well to minoxidil. You should take into consideration that there is a continuum of effectiveness. 5% minoxidil is effective in 83% people, which means that 17% people don't see any effect and another 17% people may experience a certain decrease of effectiveness after several years. Yet there may exist people, who can use it virtually until the end of their lives.

I have been on minoxidil for 12 years (+2 years on Alpicort) and I haven't lost one milimeter of my hairline. And I upgraded from 2% to 5% minoxidil only recently, in 2008, primarily from financial reasons. Furthermore, if you start to use minoxidil, when you are Norwood 4 or so, it will hardly help you in the long-term perspective. The longer you use it, the bigger is the difference between the state of your hair and your imaginary clone, who wouldn't take the drug.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
moseymoose said:
well to be honest, the amount of hair that I have shed since starting minoxidil, normally i would not have lost that much hair in even 4 months, I am considering quitting. I don't want to take finasteride, if it was no hair or finasteride I'd choose no hair, I'm afraid that any even if mild effect from a drug I dont want it. I'd rather try RU when I can afford it.

I've already gone into the finasteride thing before, it is pointless argueing the point. I will NOT take it. As for minoxidil, I'm now worried what will happen if I stop taking it while its making me shed. Will my hair just continue where it left off. Or will minoxidil have made things worse by forcing a premature shed. etc, I've receeded lot since starting minoxidil, where before it wasnt really a great problem, I still had my hairline. I don't anymore.

It is my experience (and the experience of others) that if you see too dramatic shedding after minoxidil, you should lower the frequency of use. For example, you can use 2% with 5% every other day. Naturally, I can't guarantee that it will work, but there is some logic in it. If you experience heavy shedding for many months, the drug is too strong for you. The shedding is an indication that the drug is working, yet the hair follicles are shocked and start to produce new shafts too quickly.

In theory, the more hair you initially lose, the more you should then gain. But to get through this hellish period may be problematic from the psychological view. If you lower the frequency of use, the effect will be probably slower and lower, but anyway, the hair won't be shocked so much and can accustom to it. After some time, you can try using it every day again.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
its just so distressing, i try not to think about the hair that comes out in the shower, but its hard not to notice my temples that about a month ago were thinner that the rest of the hair but still notably full around the hairline, to noticably thin with visible scalp about an inch receeding back. My hair has actually changed shape, and i have to try and style it more forward as i normally bring it across as i like my fringe, but i cant do that now because it makes it obvious that the centre of my hair is thicker than the temple region.

Just the shedding seems to be relentless and I'm coming up to the 3 month mark. I don't use it very consistantly, somedays I'll use it once a night for 3 days, then I'll miss it a night because I'm tired and want to go to bed and application is too much of a bother, and weekends I'm normally with my partner and either dont think about applying it, or forget to. I'm not sure if this would effect it, but i dont see any reason why it should make a difference how often its applied. minoxidil does the same job by forcing the folicles to begin the growth phase, the hair cant be made to grow faster so i duno. there is one darker hair that seems to stand out now just infront of my current hairline, however, it is long, so im not sure if thats from growth, or because ive receeded more. i feel its the latter. i currently feel like id have been better off minoxidil and just using spironolactone.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you tried minoxidil with DHT inhibitor(Azelaic acid) you can get off Amazon?

minoxidil w/ AA

I applaud you for your decision not to use Propecia. Topical DHT Inhibition is the way to go. :bravo: <--lol

heynow1234

Established Member
Reaction score
you wont take an FDA approved drug but youll take RU, a drug that was trashed in clinical trials, hmmm doesnt make sense

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
I am still shedding and I am coming into the end of the 3rd month. If you are shedding it means that minoxidil is doing something. People often quit seening more shedding and then they say that treatements do not work... Wait at least 6 month to a year.

BTW if you don't want to use spironolactone cream and keto cream. Just use liquid spironolactone 2% and a keto shampoo like regenepure or nizoral

T

Timi

LooseItAll said:
I am still shedding and I am coming into the end of the 3rd month. If you are shedding it means that minoxidil is doing something. People often quit seening more shedding and then they say that treatements do not work... Wait at least 6 month to a year.

BTW if you don't want to use spironolactone cream and keto cream. Just use liquid spironolactone 2% and a keto shampoo like regenepure or nizoral

i have shedd 3Years!
my Hairs all damaged

minoxidil :puke:

Timi

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
heynow1234 said:
you wont take an FDA approved drug but youll take RU, a drug that was trashed in clinical trials, hmmm doesnt make sense

I dont give a damn about wether a drug has been approved by the FDA or not, hairloss treatments are in the stone age, its about time there were some new and experimental drugs available on the market, and treatment that I will use to treat this condition will be tropical, I'm really getting sick of guys banging on about finasteride this and that, like its the be and end all of hairloss treatments. sides or no sides, i don't want a drug that inhibits anything in my body, it may not present sides to some people, but I still don't want unnatural imbalances of hormones in my body.

The only reason I'm not giving RU a go is because I can't afford it. As far as AA is concerned there is debate as to wether it is even an anti-androgen. I'd rather stick with my spironolactone, keto and Nizoral. The keto I haven't used in months since I've got the spironolactone, though I haven't used the spironolactone in quite a few weeks either because sometimes I find it a chore to apply when I just want to go to bed lol.