On The Big 3, Nothing Can Stop My Recession. Please Help

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for ages, and was wondering if I could get some advice. Here is my situation:

31, hairline started receding, albeit slowly, at around 24. still have a lot of hair, but my hairline has receded massively and nothing can stop it. I have been on 1.25mg of finasteride a day and nizoral 2% 2-3 times a week for nearly 2 years now. the hairline has continued to slowly recede.

4 months ago to the day I added liquid minoxidil twice a day, and dermarolling 1.5mm (192 needles) 1x per week. I have gone through EVERY (yes, every) thread on minoxidil under the growth stimulant subsection that has had at least one reply to try and find answers, as I was afraid of the initial shed and people reporting it destroying their hairline. But I knew I had to try to add it and see if I can just stop further loss. So I started, and I have not missed a single day of treatment.

Result? Massive shed from weeks 2-8. this is the only real "shed" i experienced in my hairloss journey as the rest as been slow and gradual. I lost a lot of density on the top of my head, and my hairline is now going strong into Norwood 3 territory, in the classic "M" shape.

I stayed strong thinking these are just the weak hairs being pushed out, "shedding is a sign the treatment is working" and so on and so on. However, I have noticed ZERO regrowth. literally none. I have not seen any new hairs sprout up anywhere. Just getting back to baseline would be a dream at this point, as all I have wanted since I started any treatments is to prevent further hairloss because I caught it early and while I still had a lot of hair.

My question is this: people often speak of "results" from minoxidil being visible around 3-4 months. even the leaflet says to stop if you see no results after 4 months. but what exactly do they mean by "results"? Should I see new hairs sprouting, or is it expected that new hairs should already be grown out at this point? looking over success stories on this website, people seem to have amazing results within 3 months most of the time, whereas for me its just getting worse and worse. its seems minoxidil has just put my slow gradual recession into overdrive.

And has anyone used minoxidil and not seen "results" until later in the treatment, say, 6 or 9 months? Should I keep going with minoxidil or trash it at this point?

Any long-term users with similar experiences, and a little bit of hope to give, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, sorry for the long post.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
It took me 1.5 years until I saw a sudden real result from finasteride.
Rogain was very subtle after 2 months. After 6 months I noticed little hairs growing in.
I colored my hair to help "darken" what the rogain produced.
We're not talking full thick coverage; just an improvement and use of concealers to keep my sanity.

Not sure why finasteride kicked in after that long, but nothing I did made it worse.

I had one really bad shed about 4 months on finasteride when I colored my hair and I think I fried it.
Clumps of hair came out (not really but my palms were covered with hair).

I pushed through and a couple months later it repaired.

Keep going. At least you are doing something.
Maybe add vitamins, Saw Paw, any thing else.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thought about replacing finasteride with dutasteride?

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thought about replacing finasteride with dutasteride?

Hey, I have considered it now, but im just not sure about it. it took me a while to hop on finasteride, im not sure about messing with hormones to that extent.

I also live in germany and its a pain in the *** to get a doctor to perscribe finasteride, im not sure if they woudl do dutasteride. I see you are using it. did you notice a big improvement from Dutasteride over Finasteride?

Also, since using liquid minoxidil I have been getting acne on my hairline. Do you think this may have something to do with it being ineffective?

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW I had FUT two weeks ago from an experienced Dr. in the San Francisco area. She insists the key is Finasteride and ORAL minoxidil. My advice is stick to your regimen. If you're comfortable with Oral minoxidil then switch to oral asap. My Dr. swears the two together (both oral) are the key. Push through the shed.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I have considered it now, but im just not sure about it. it took me a while to hop on finasteride, im not sure about messing with hormones to that extent.

I also live in germany and its a pain in the *** to get a doctor to perscribe finasteride, im not sure if they woudl do dutasteride. I see you are using it. did you notice a big improvement from Dutasteride over Finasteride?

Also, since using liquid minoxidil I have been getting acne on my hairline. Do you think this may have something to do with it being ineffective?
I only used finasteride for a few weeks before switching to dutasteride, which I've been using continuously for over five years. I didn't use finasteride for long enough to know whether it would have regrown me any hair, but it seemed to have stopped my shedding. I've had excellent results from dutasteride.

I don't see how the acne on your hairline would be connected to how effective the minoxidil is? Do you only have acne in the spots that you are applying the minoxidil, or do you have acne elsewhere too?

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may want to consider switching from finasteride to dutasteride. You haven't given the minoxidil enough time to get any regrowth though.

How long would you give it? the product leaflet says if you see no results after 4 months to discontinue. in any case I wil give it until december, 6 months to see if I got any results. did you see results later than 4 months when using minoxidil?

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only used finasteride for a few weeks before switching to dutasteride, which I've been using continuously for over five years. I didn't use finasteride for long enough to know whether it would have regrown me any hair, but it seemed to have stopped my shedding. I've had excellent results from dutasteride.

I don't see how the acne on your hairline would be connected to how effective the minoxidil is? Do you only have acne in the spots that you are applying the minoxidil, or do you have acne elsewhere too?

what made you make the switch after only a few weeks? The acne seems to point to inflammation and irritated skin. i only have the acne on areas where liquid minoxidil is applied

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what made you make the switch after only a few weeks? The acne seems to point to inflammation and irritated skin. i only have the acne on areas where liquid minoxidil is applied
I decided that I might as well go straight for the most powerful thing that is available, and so I went for dutasteride. In hindsight, maybe I should have given finasteride a bit more of a chance instead of switching so soon, but I've had great success with dutasteride and so I have no complaints.
It seems that the minoxidil is irritating your skin. I suppose you could try switching to minoxidil foam and see if that is less irritating than the liquid.

Last edited:

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
coming up on month 5 of dermarolling and minoxidil. it just keeps getting worse. this is so fkin depressing that none of the treatments work for me. i have a massive triangle hairline on my head now :(

i'll give it one more month to pray for a miracle and will update how it goes.

anyone else not see minoxidil results until much later? i really feel like this put my male pattern baldness into overdrive and that the finasteride has stopped working

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try adding low dose oral minoxidil to your regimen along with switching to dutasteride assuming you don't have serious sides on finasteride.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try adding low dose oral minoxidil to your regimen along with switching to dutasteride assuming you don't have serious sides on finasteride.
Good advice. I was about to suggest the exact same to him. I'm on low dose oral min (1.25mg a day) and dutasteride myself.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good advice. I was about to suggest the exact same to him. I'm on low dose oral min (1.25mg a day) and dutasteride myself.

How long have you been taking the oral minoxidil for? i started last october, i didn't respond as well as id like tbh, crown still diffuse as hell.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been taking the oral minoxidil for?
Only a few days so far. I used it briefly a few months ago, took a break, and now I'm back on it again. I'm hoping it can give me some regrowth on my temples, particularly the left temple which has significant recession.

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score

Did you have to get a prescription for oral minoxidil? I never heard about this until recently. The trouble is I live in Germany and doctors are much more hesitant to prescribe drugs for any reason than they are in the US/Canada. I am not sure if they woudl even offer me dutasteride since it has not been approved for hair loss, same with oral minoxidil, which I just saw was made for hypertension.

recedingdude123

My Regimen
Reaction score
well, here we are, 6 month later, and my hair has never been worse. this just sucks so much.

my hair is actually still quite thick, it seems I am only balding on my hairline alone, but i swear to god nothing can stop it, and the hair line is so far back now it makes my already gigantic forehead look massive.

minoxidil i can rate as a 0/10. it was completely ineffective. it just produced a shed with zero regrowth. the shed hairs did not come back.

Now I am at a loss of what to do. I ordered a dermapen to try and use that instead of dermaroller and see if its more effective. I will do 1.5mm 1x per week, followed by .25-.5mm 4 times a week for "minimal daily interruption" as per follica press release (total stab in the dark here).

I will also try to seek out dutasteride, which will be difficult cause in this country it was hard to find someone to even give me finasteride. I will post pictures later of my hair's deterioration