On .5mg should I move to .75?

bigd

Reaction score
I've been on .5mg since August, looks like I maintained, but still thinning in front fourth, NW1.5 with diffuse in front.

So no sides, still horny as hell, balls to wall, should I move to .75? Anyone have any advice.

And please, no more comments about how 1 MG was done for a reason blah, blah, blah. If I wanted to hear that I'd call my doctor. I want some real life user info.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I can probably only tell you the same things you already know. From the graphs that have been posted here a bunch of times, there wasn't an incredible difference between .5 and 1mg as far as DHT levels are concerned, but there was a difference. I obviously can't tell you if it would make a difference for ya.

Personally I am on 1/4 of generic Proscar a day, so I"m on about 1.25mg per day. I'm regrowing and not losing any hair anymore, but everyone is different. I'm on Rogaine as well, but I used that for quite a while without finasteride and it did nothing for me alone.

That being said, you haven't been on it for a full year yet and I always hear you should wait a year for results. I've been on finasteride for just over 5 months, but I don't think my results are typical.

Goingat20

Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to try .75 mg, seeing that you didnt get any sides from .5. See how things can go from there, hopefully your hair could just get better

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should stick with .5. The response curve is quite flat and I wouldn't want to risk any sides, now that you're doing good on 0.5
I would instead add some sort of topical. minoxidil, copper peptides or spironolactone could help you out.
Just my 2 cents

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the famous graph:

propeciachart2rb.gif

You can see the difference here of taking a greater amount. This is a single dose over a seven day period, so if you are taking it every day you would mainly be looking at the 1 day number here. There isn't a .75 amount, but you can see the difference of DHT levels between .2 and .5 and 1.5 to give you an idea.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
as you said, it's a one dose graph.
There is a cummulative effect that makes the difference betweend the eficacy of different dosages way smaller.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
Lessofarockstar said:
There is a cummulative effect that makes the difference betweend the eficacy of different dosages way smaller.

I can completely understand that. I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but would you be able to point me in the direction of that information? I would like to take a look at that.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Back In Time said:
Lessofarockstar said:

I can completely understand that. I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but would you be able to point me in the direction of that information? I would like to take a look at that.
Sure... This is a classic. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/finmicro.pdf

And when you look at it compared to the study already posted in this thread you will see that the diffeerence between 0.2 and 5 mg is very small. It is not that there isn't a difference but my belief is that if you are a responder you will most likely respond to 0.1 mg. Therefore arguments for upping the dose are weak IMO. IMO...

bigd

Reaction score
I wish I could use minxidle for the front quarter of my hair, that would be ideal, but I have real bad shebooreah and the dr told me to not use rogaine or it would make my scalp 10 time as worse.