Omega 3 6 9 Fish Oil

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this subject has been discussed before and I know it probably doesn't do a whole lot for hair loss but I've been taking 2 capsules for a while now daily and I used to take them after eating. Recently I visited my dr and she said that you actually get more potential from fish oil capsules if you take them before sleeping at night. She said that your body is at rest and the supplement can work the best then. Just wanted to share and also wondered for anyone who takes this supplement, if they have heard this before...thanks for your time.

UunoTurhapuro

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think omega 6 oil supplementation is really needed as western diets contain very high amounts of it. I take omega 3 capsules but as soon as I finish this bottle I'm switching to a liquid version of omega 3 fish oil, free from mercury, pesticides and other harmful substances.

BTW. Plant based omega 3 oils are sh*t in my opinion as they are estrogenic!

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take fish oil. By the time it's stuck on the store shelf, it's gone rancid. If you want Omega 3 in your diet, the best way to get it is to either eat a lot of fish or to take Krill oil. Krill oil has Astaxanthin which is an anti-oxidant, so it keeps the krill oil from going rancid.

BTW, omega 9 is not needed.

With that said, newer research is suggesting that what we really need are PEO's instead of EFA's. PEO's are Parental Essential Oils, such as Linoleic Acid (LA) and Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA). Best ways to get LA & ALA are to use Krill oil, or drink sunflower oil and to eat raw, unrefined seeds and nuts.

CCS

Reaction score
I thought you can tell if fish oil is good just by biting into the capsule. I bite every one of them. They taste fresh to me. Would I be able to tell if they were rancid? Mine have vitamin E added as an anti-oxidant. I still have them 2 years past the expiration date, and they taste great just like when I first bought them (I stocked up. Low price)

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe I had rancid fish oil capsules before - I had stomach upset about a half hour after taking them every time. Now I only buy a 1-2 month supply every time instead of the false economy of a 6 month supply. They just go off otherwise.

I dont believe they have any bearing on male pattern baldness but could be a decent general health supplement.

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually buy mine at Whole Food where they have them in the refrigerated area but yeah, I'll not get any 9s and just omega 3. Could these capsules accelerate hair loss a bit more compared to not taking any? Also is there any truth about Vitamin H (Biotin) helping with keeping your hair healthy? Thanks guys.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
jasinfla said:
I don't know if this subject has been discussed before and I know it probably doesn't do a whole lot for hair loss but I've been taking 2 capsules for a while now daily and I used to take them after eating. Recently I visited my dr and she said that you actually get more potential from fish oil capsules if you take them before sleeping at night. She said that your body is at rest and the supplement can work the best then. Just wanted to share and also wondered for anyone who takes this supplement, if they have heard this before...thanks for your time.

This is what I have always been saying, and why????

Do you guys know?

ethan

Reaction score
I try to eat a tablespoon of chia seeds a day. They contain more omega 3 than any other plant. Per teaspoon contains 3.2g omega 3 ALA and 0.9 omega 6 LA. I'm vegetarian so it's a good way to include omegas in my diet.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
jasinfla said:
Recently I visited my dr and she said that you actually get more potential from fish oil capsules if you take them before sleeping at night.
Your dr is an idiot. Fats should be taken with meals otherwise what do they bind with? Only water-soluble supplements (ex. vitamin b,c) should be taken on an empty stomach.

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting, looks like I will start taking it with my food then and not at night to get the best potential on my body. Thanks man.

Jacob

Reaction score
http://www.terrytalksnutrition.com/weekly-articles/2011/02-11/

There are plenty of fish oils that are just fine. I've seen a lot of "they start getting rancid in 3 months"..mainly from those selling krill oil. I'm a huge fan of NEPTUNE krill oil btw..just have been using other things lately. Currently this: http://www.biopharmasci.com/Products/NanoEPA/Overview

They also have an omega 3 product out: http://www.biopharmasci.com/Products/NanOmega3/Overview

I also take Seabuckthorn oil for omega 7's. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWE055/ItemDetail

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I know.

I took them for years

they are useless for overrall health.

all unsaturated fats are, rancid or not.

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
I know.I took them for yearsthey are useless for overrall health.all unsaturated fats are, rancid or not.
You know nothing. Stop it. A simple search reveals that you are wrong. I.e. my own experience says you are wrong.
If they did nothing for you, you either had no clue what you were doing or you just had no need to supplement.
If you have healthy levels of these already, supplementing EFA will not make you superman.