older Article on propecia

abcdefg

Reaction score
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n12417026

This article says this first sentance second paragraph:
In terms of male pattern baldness, testosterone does not act directly on hair.

Now is that a lie or something? I thought testosterone was proven to change scalp hair growth?

Then it goes on to say this:
Even in men, normal activity of 5 alpha-reductase is diminished with age, and it is anticipated that the drug will diminish in efficacy in males over 60 years of age. Occipital hairs have high aromatase enzyme circulating around hairs, and are thereby resistant to developing androgenetic alopecia.

So at 60 dht levels lower by themselves anyways? Are they also saying that high aromatase then is why some hair can resist dht?

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
i do think scalp hair is affected by testerone but only by 5 percent. the thing wit 60 years old and dht levels it might be the case because by 60 most people lose all their hair, and rest of their life just maintained, the reason other hairs dont fall out is because they dont have the androgen receptor sites to do so. sort of like the back of ur head and sides.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This article dates back at August 2004

Michael barry posted a study (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28809) which was published aug2006 that proved testosterone can kill hair directly.

So i guess the effects of testosterone where not actually known when this article was written.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PDG/is_4_3/ai_n12417026

This article says this first sentance second paragraph:
In terms of male pattern baldness, testosterone does not act directly on hair.

Yes, but did you notice that they only STATE that testosterone doesn't act directly on hair, without citing another medical reference in support of that claim? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:

Michael barry posted a study (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28809) which was published aug2006 that proved testosterone can kill hair directly.

That study doesn't "prove" that testosterone can kill hair directly. Ask yourself the following simple question: when you give lots of testosterone to hair follicles, how do you know that any negative effect that you get on their growth isn't simply caused by the conversion of the testosterone into DHT by the 5a-reductase within the hair follicles?

Having posed that question to you, I will tell you that there actually IS some evidence which suggests that testosterone has a direct negative effect on scalp hair follicles, but I want you to figure out for yourself what that is. I've posted about it a few times on hairloss sites over the last couple of years or so, but nobody ever seems to remember anything about it. Let's see if YOU or anybody else can come up with it! Post your ideas here! :)

P.S.: This isn't as hard as it appears, because I've already given you a pretty good hint in my first paragraph above! :mrgreen:

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
sphlanx2006 said:

That study doesn't "prove" that testosterone can kill hair directly. Ask yourself the following simple question: when you give lots of testosterone to hair follicles, how do you know that any negative effect that you get on their growth isn't simply caused by the conversion of the testosterone into DHT by the 5a-reductase within the hair follicles?

Having posed that question to you, I will tell you that there actually IS some evidence which suggests that testosterone has a direct negative effect on scalp hair follicles, but I want you to figure out for yourself what that is. I've posted about it a few times on hairloss sites over the last couple of years or so, but nobody ever seems to remember anything about it. Let's see if YOU or anybody else can come up with it! Post your ideas here! :)

P.S.: This isn't as hard as it appears, because I've already given you a pretty good hint in my first paragraph above! :mrgreen:

I believe there was an experiment done many many years ago that Michael Barry always refers too. A set of twins (one was bald and the other had a full head of hair) were in the experiment. A doctor injected the twin with hair with testosterone over a period of 6 months. During those 6 months, that twin lost all of his hair as well as developed a deeper voice, etc.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abovedagame said:
I believe there was an experiment done many many years ago that Michael Barry always refers too. A set of twins (one was bald and the other had a full head of hair) were in the experiment. A doctor injected the twin with hair with testosterone over a period of 6 months. During those 6 months, that twin lost all of his hair as well as developed a deeper voice, etc.

Again I ask: how do you know it was the actual testosterone that did the deed, and not the DHT that it got converted into?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, i think the evidence that you are talking about is that in-vitro cultured cells, were 5-ar is "lost" over time, can still be affected by plain testosterone.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Bryan, i think the evidence that you are talking about is that in-vitro cultured cells, were 5-ar is "lost" over time, can still be affected by plain testosterone.

That's it. You got it!