OldBaldy: Can I Put Eucalyptus Oil In spironolactone Solution?

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey OldBaldy,
I read one of your posts before about putting eucalyptus oil in spironolactone cream to offset the smell and help with absorption. Well, I don't know if it helps with absorption but it does pretty much eliminate the smell of the spironolactone cream. I was wondering though if I could put eucalyptus oil in the spironolactone 2% liquid version to offset the smell or will that possibly ruin the solution and make spironolactone ineffective.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I read a patent applied for a while back that was submitted by a large drug company.

It said you can even mix eucalyptus oil with the slurry when making tablets to deodorize the spironolactone. tablets.

The patent said you could use alot of other essential oils, i.e., clove oil, thyme oil, cedarwood oil(?) and some others I can't remember.

So I wouldn't think there would be any downside, probably a plus side IMHO. You could use rosemary oil also for antioxidant effect on your solution. I read a patent from another drug company stating eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils are compatabile together for what that patent was discussing, I can't remember the topic of the patent though. :oops:

I do remember that the patent indicated those two oils were good for penetration, stability and deodorizing effects.

Essential oils are good stuff IMHO. There was a study that they helped alopecia aerata. Different than male pattern baldness but not drastically different IMHO. (It's an immune system driven disease and some people think male pattern baldness has a strong immune system component.)

Classic dosage is 10 to 20 drops (total essential oils) per ounce. Twenty drops is a little too strong for me though.

Here's a good one for regrowth. Four ounces of any oil you choose, 3 ounces of 95 percent alcohol (100 proof vodka is just about as good), 25 to 35 phenytoin pills emptied into the mix and one-half ounce of polysorbate 20 or polysorbate 80. Then add 80 drops of essential oils of your choice. GOOD STUFF IMHO!! I ain't kidding.

(One-quarter teaspoon of BHT would be good if you have it for preserving the stuff but, with the alcohol, essential oils, and preservatives in the phenytoin capsules, you probably don't really need BHT. I use it because I have it and it is a precautionary measure. Put the BHT in the oil first before adding anything to the oil. Shake it up to start dissolving the BHT. Then add your other stuff.)

When everything is mixed, "zap it" in the microwave for 20 seconds. This will help hasten the mixing and dissolving of all the ingredients. Shake well.

Maybe buy some Indian herbal hair oil for the oil? Use your imaginations on the oil and essential oils. That's the fun part for me.

Not cosmetically acceptable though. :( Well maybe in a very small amount. Shake well and leave the stuff on your scalp for at least one hour. Use as often as you want. Phenytoin is one of those rare rx medications that really has no dangers to it IMHO.

Why more people don't use phenytoin (Dilantin) is beyond me. :?

Adding a little finasteride./dutasteride. wouldn't hurt either IMHO. :wink: