Old dudes, proscar, and afro's

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with how finasteride was discovered as a hair drug? Where are all these pictures of old guys with tons of hair? Do they even exist?

Propecia can't be the miracle drug because if it was, they would have known it immediately, and pushed it out there. f***, finasteride was around for YEARS before Propecia, and there doesn't seem to be any reports about affects on hair.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It doesnt regrow heaps of hair. We all know this. Anyone whos taking it for prostate conditions are old enough that, if they have male pattern baldness, they've lost it all already.

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was 21, which was 11 years ago, I did extensive research on the net looking for a solution to my thinning and found an article on proscar and it's possible benefits for hair loss and acne. I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist but couldn't convince him to prescribe it too me since it was so unknown then as helpful to hair loss. He was a little intrigued though by the fact that another patient of his had also come in recently looking for the same. Then he went on to tell me the story of another of his patients who was in his seventies who happened to be on proscar for bph. While obviously he didn't grow a full head of hair back, my Doctor said that he went from being completely bald to having enough hair on top that he now had to comb it.

G

It depends on the person. But never expect to much grow from finasteride

G

bob marley said:
It depends on the person. But never expect to much grow from finasteride

The data does not bear out your statement. Check the studies on this site for accurate information on finasteride and minoxidil.

G

Brucelee,

I do not understand what your'e saying, and I've read all the studies many times. I think you misunderstood my statement.

People sometimes get the misconception, that they're going to regrow a sh*t load of hair if they are the good responders to the propecia. HAVING THESE expectations is not right. Propecia should be used first and foremeost as a preventitive/maintenance drug, regrowth is an added bonus. This goes more for the hairline, than the crown, however it depends on the persons trouble area's. If they're looking to regrow temple hair, good F8cking luck. NOt saying it's impossible by any means, but agian goo F8cking luck.

And it does depend on the person. SOme people are great responders, and some claim it actually ate their hairline(which I think is Bull sh*t). Take the middle road and voila, you have my statment.

Expect Maintencance, thickening(can be misinterpreted as regrowth), better texture, but never expect too much regrowth from finasteride

G

bob marley said:
Brucelee,

I do not understand what your'e saying, and I've read all the studies many times. I think you misunderstood my statement.

People sometimes get the misconception, that they're going to regrow a sh*t load of hair if they are the good responders to the propecia. HAVING THESE expectations is not right. Propecia should be used first and foremeost as a preventitive/maintenance drug, regrowth is an added bonus. This goes more for the hairline, than the crown, however it depends on the persons trouble area's. If they're looking to regrow temple hair, good F8cking luck. NOt saying it's impossible by any means, but agian goo F8cking luck.

And it does depend on the person. SOme people are great responders, and some claim it actually ate their hairline(which I think is Bull sh*t). Take the middle road and voila, you have my statment.

Expect Maintencance, thickening(can be misinterpreted as regrowth), better texture, but never expect too much regrowth from finasteride

According to the study on front growth, there was a statis. signficant increase in hair growth in the frontal region of test subjects.

According to the 2 yrs study on overall results, there was a stati. signicant increase in both hair volume and count in test subjects.

What am I missing? The data says that finasteride grows hair.

G

Bruce,

Again, I am not saying that propecia does not regrow hair. Nor, am I saying it is not possible that John Doe, may take the drug and have significant regrowth. However, he is the excpetion to the rule.

The average guy, can expect minor regrowth at best, with just taking finasteride, I don't see how you can argue this.

And by the way. Define "significant".

Also being around forums for a long time and reading probably 1000's of stories of guys on finasteride, I have yet to come across anyone that has grown sh*tloads of hair. OR grown hair on slick bald temples. I have read about minor hairline growth, good crown coverage and excellent maintenance accounts.

Just being realistic, and telling the average newbie what to expect.

G

bob marley said:
Bruce,

Again, I am not saying that propecia does not regrow hair. Nor, am I saying it is not possible that John Doe, may take the drug and have significant regrowth. However, he is the excpetion to the rule.

The average guy, can expect minor regrowth at best, with just taking finasteride, I don't see how you can argue this.

And by the way. Define "significant".

Also being around forums for a long time and reading probably 1000's of stories of guys on finasteride, I have yet to come across anyone that has grown sh*tloads of hair. OR grown hair on slick bald temples. I have read about minor hairline growth, good crown coverage and excellent maintenance accounts.

Just being realistic, and telling the average newbie what to expect.

The fitst issue is easiest! I don't define significant. The researchers did hair counts and applied the increases in hair counts against statistical significance tests, not opinion.

This simply means the increases were not due to random variation.

Secondly, I don't deal concepts like "shitloads of hair." The data is there for folks to see, and to make up their minds if the possible results are worth the effort. For me, I regrew the crown on my head and to me, it was most significant.

BTW- I think you did say that finasteride does not regrow hair in an earlier post.

Anyway, I am trying to add bit of rigor to these answers, as some broadslides of info can be quite misleading.

:hairy:

G

I guess if saying "never expect too much growth from finasteride" is the same as saying "propecia does not grow hair" then I have to go back to english class.

Statistically significant to researchers, is far cry from cosmetically significant to the average hairloss sufferer. You cannot argue that.

The fact of the matter is, and it is not a broadslide of information, that one should not expect too much growth from Propecia.

G

bob marley said:
I guess if saying "never expect too much growth from finasteride" is the same as saying "propecia does not grow hair" then I have to go back to english class.

Statistically significant to researchers, is far cry from cosmetically significant to the average hairloss sufferer. You cannot argue that.

The fact of the matter is, and it is not a broadslide of information, that one should not expect too much growth from Propecia.

"But never expect to much grow from finasteride"Based on this exact quote of your statement, perhaps you DO need to go back to English class!

:lol:

Re: the statistical significance, your argument is inarguable. The fact is that researchers use statistical significance to get around all of the subjectivity that your statements are steeped in. How can you represent that you know anything about the "average hairloss sufferer." Where is your data or study to support your assertion??

And how would you quantify "too much growth?" Do you mean not very much or too much, as in more than is needed?

The reality is that all you have done is create some unsubstantiated opinions that you represent as the "truth" because you say so.

That is nice, but hardly what newbies here need.

G

Brucelee

YOu got me, good one buddy :lol:

First of all, I know about the average hairloss sufferer. I am one. And give or take, I have had the average effect of maintaining my hair on propecia.

You are mis-leading people here into believing finasteride is some wonder drug, that's wrong I'm afraid. Sorry to say, that's not what newbies need.

I love propecia, I love what's it's done for me. I advocate it to others, but I would never build them up to think it's going to magically turn a nw3 into a solid nw2, by itself. Filling the crown a little and thickening of hairline, is a great possiblilty. But even that normally only happens to good responders.

On average, do not expect propecia to grow a lot of hair. If that's only my opinion, so be it. But I think it's the truth.
It's a wonderful drug, but don't over sell it.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I think his point was that for anyone who is serious about hairloss, that propecia should be the building block for a regimen. That, combined with a hair follicle stimulator, an antiflamitory shampoo, and possibly an SOD would be the best treatment available for those willing to make the jump into the battle of hairloss.

G

bob marley said:
Brucelee

YOu got me, good one buddy :lol:

First of all, I know about the average hairloss sufferer. I am one. And give or take, I have had the average effect of maintaining my hair on propecia.

You are mis-leading people here into believing finasteride is some wonder drug, that's wrong I'm afraid. Sorry to say, that's not what newbies need.

I love propecia, I love what's it's done for me. I advocate it to others, but I would never build them up to think it's going to magically turn a nw3 into a solid nw2, by itself. Filling the crown a little and thickening of hairline, is a great possiblilty. But even that normally only happens to good responders.

On average, do not expect propecia to grow a lot of hair. If that's only my opinion, so be it. But I think it's the truth.
It's a wonderful drug, but don't over sell it.

Hopefully I am not selling it at all, simply pointing out what was revealed in several good clinical trials. I think propecia IS an impressive drug, WHEN COMPARED TO the options. However, I am the first to admit that on its own, it will not satisfy all the folks who have male pattern baldness.

In conjuction with minoxidil and TGEL, it is the best we have and can do a pretty decent job indeed.

And, I am not even taking propecia right now, so it is not a perfect drug by any means.

Thanks for input.

:lol:

G

Bruce,

I totally agree that people should read these excellent studies and come up with their own decision, based on science.

I see you're a very smart and realisitc guy, I like that.

G

bob marley said:
Bruce,

I totally agree that people should read these excellent studies and come up with their own decision, based on science.

I see you're a very smart and realisitc guy, I like that.

Thank you! :lol:

G

I wan not trying to come on to you by the way. :oops:

Why did you drop finasteride? Sides

G

bob marley said:
I wan not trying to come on to you by the way. :oops:

Why did you drop finasteride? Sides

Yes, long slow decline of libido, gradual increase in body fat.

Since have reversed nicely.

G

"long slow decline in libido" I feel you there, and it's probably a good way of describing what actually happens on finasteride. Rather than an overnight drop in libido after two weeks of use, which some guys claim.

Weight Gain? I question this. I'm not questioning you observation, that you may have gained weight, but I highly doubt finasteride was responsible. Again just my opinion. Have there been any studies? I remember reading something that says finasteride causes the opposite, but I may have been interpreting the study wrong.

G

bob marley said:
"long slow decline in libido" I feel you there, and it's probably a good way of describing what actually happens on finasteride. Rather than an overnight drop in libido after two weeks of use, which some guys claim.

Weight Gain? I question this. I'm not questioning you observation, that you may have gained weight, but I highly doubt finasteride was responsible. Again just my opinion. Have there been any studies? I remember reading something that says finasteride causes the opposite, but I may have been interpreting the study wrong.

No studies on weight gain. However, theory and anecdote suggest that DHT is involved in anabolic process. Interfering MAY bring on mild weight gain.