Old but scary news about smoking and hairloss

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
While obsessively looking through some old posts, I found some alrming articles that were posted about the correlation between smoking and hairloss. While I do not think smoking causes hairloss persay, I do think it contributes, and probably makes it much harder for treatments to do their jobs.

I post this because I smoke heavily myself and have done so for about 7 years. I am constantly trying to quit; at this point I'm considering hypnotherapy.

Here is the link to the post:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=12177

shutterfly

Reaction score
My father smokes, and he (he is 63 now) has a full hair, as full as when he was 20 years old.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whats scary is cancer, emphysema, and the cost of cigarettes. Let me rephrase that. Nice find on that information though.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, i understand those things are scary. And I'm not saying that smoking CAUSES hairloss, I'm saying there is probably a chance of smoking WORSENING an male pattern baldness sufferer's condition, while also possibly rendering treatments less effective.

venomman

Reaction score
smoking relieves stress which is one of the causes of releasing too much DHT in your body.

SOooooo I would think smoking helps hairloss, But i dont smoke, maybe i should hahaha. I rather just go for jogs

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Smoking doesn't relieve stress -- the deep breathing associated with smoking relieves stress.

You can get the same stress relief by stopping regularly for deep breathing exercises. And its much cheaper too.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
Freestyle said:
Smoking doesn't relieve stress -- the deep breathing associated with smoking relieves stress.

You can get the same stress relief by stopping regularly for deep breathing exercises. And its much cheaper too.

That's very true freestyle, though if you are a nicotine addict like me, I can definitely say that inhaling tobacco smoke relieves my stress more. Just gotta break the friggin addiction.

Good tip though.

I'm more concerned with the unmeasurable hidden effects of prolonged cigartte smoking such as subtle DNA mutations in the hair follicles and such. These types of things are very random (being mutations) and quite hard to measure but are probably devastating to your follicles' ability to regenerate hair.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting post, thanks. I quit smoking for last years resolution and if it saves my lungs or even one hair great!

By the way Cook... My wife is from NY, we live in CA now, I see cigs are like $8 a pack in NYC. Crazy!!!! Still $3.50 a pack here in L.A.

Joe.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cook'n'milkies said:
Freestyle said:

That's very true freestyle, though if you are a nicotine addict like me, I can definitely say that inhaling tobacco smoke relieves my stress more. Just gotta break the friggin addiction.

Good tip though.

I'm more concerned with the unmeasurable hidden effects of prolonged cigartte smoking such as subtle DNA mutations in the hair follicles and such. These types of things are very random (being mutations) and quite hard to measure but are probably devastating to your follicles' ability to regenerate hair.

Hopefully it causes a DNA mutation inthe male pattern baldness gene