Okay, I really can't make up my mind - spironolactone or finasteride?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in your exact situation. I quit finasteride 8 months ago. I was on it for five months after I noticed some troubling side effects. I emailed Dr. Lee and got on Xandrox immediately. I use xandrox 5% in the morning and Xandrox 15 at night. I also apply topical spironolactone 5% at night. I have not lost any hair in the last 8 months so i would definitely say it's working. I am 21 and would be guaranteed to lose hair after 8 months if the xandrox/spironolactone combo wasn't working.

Here's my question for you. Is loss of libido worse than losing your hair? I know that if the libido problems were my only issue, I would have stayed on Propecia.

davestep

Reaction score
i quit using finasteride over a year ago due to the sides. never gonna touch that stuff again cos i'd rather go bald than get impotence! i still used minoxidil 7% though. about 2 months ago i got the s5 cream, i feel that is a safe alternative but like you said, you just never know.
I had to stop using minoxidil cos when its used with s5 cream the smell is pretty noticeable. i decided to stick with s5 cream only for a while to see what happens. although i feel my hair is constantly getting worse, almost impossible to hide, i have to admit, the last few days i have seen alot less hairs in my hands when washing my hair for instance. i usually see 20-30 easily but last two days ive counted about 5 at max. i'm hoping the s5 cream is the reason for this but sometimes i feel im just running out of hair to fall out!!!
i've also just bought l'oreal thickening shampoo which feels ok so far.

i know i need to add another solution to possibly get some regrowth, i'm thinking of xandrox?? any ideas anyone?

cheers

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Gubter, I know exactly how you feel when it comes to changing the hormones in your body, it is a little weird and it always left my uneasy. I'ts a tough decision, but you need to evaluate how important your hair is and decide if it's worth the risk.

Davestep, I actually would recommend Xandrox. I know that it has worked for me. However, you will still get an unpleasant odor from the spironolactone because Xandrox uses minoxidil. I apply the spironolactone once at night with my xandrox15, and then wash it out in the morning.

Fleur de lis

Reaction score
Hello all,

I can certainly understand not wanting to deal with the "sides" that many men
encounter when using oral DHT blockers--I just cannot believe messing with your hormones long term is wise

I am a gal who has some Androgenetic Alopecia issues due to my age (48) although my "T" has never been above mid-range on Lab testing ( unlike PCOS sufferers who are usually off the charts with elevated "T" levels)

A already have low BP ( like 90/60--low) and the oral spironolactone made me pass-out,
even on small dosages

So I am exploring the Topical spironolactone myself--I found a decent compounding Pharmacy that does a good job of gettting the stink out--it's not cheap--but it doesn't smell bad at all

I'm just using it on my sides and temples--and I just started using it this week, so I am concerned with what to expect, etc

I'd like to start using it in my vertex area, but I've already had such a nasty shed form my thyroid going "Hashimoto's" on me recently ( was hypothyroid--went hyperthyroid almost over night) but I am worried about the shedding getting worse in that area

I am aware that any new hair loss treatment can cause some elevated shedding for a time--but to be honest with you--I've had hair loss before from various triggers ( mostly drug related) and I have "NEVER" had scalp pain/burning like I have had with this shed-------it's not been "fun" and I am just not up for another round of high level shedding and the pain that goes with it

So I am researching here---what have your experinces been with any shedding due to Topical spironolactone?

Hope you don't mind that a gal poked her head in on your thread--but almost nobody on the women's forum have ever used the Topical spironolactone--so they don't have any info to share with me :dunno:

Thanks to anyone who can help me out

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
There isn't really any "good" alternatives to propecia; propecia continues to be the single most effective hair loss treatment, surpassed maybe only by dutasteride/avodart...

I guess your best bet is to just hit your scalp with every possible anti- androgen on the list (ketoconazole, spironolactone, eucapil, RU, maybe even some azelaic acid, revivogen etc...) and pray it does the trick.