ok i need help!

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
my regimen includes nizoral 1%, T-Gel, and minoxidil 2%. switching off with T-Gel and Nizoral every other day. i apply minoxidil around 1.5 ml twice a day. i've been on this regime for around 1 1/2 months until the minoxidil gave me SEVERE itching, flaking, and irritation. i quit the minoxidil for around 2 weeks and then just started it again this sunday.

just today i had to scratch my hair for around 15 minutes straight vigorously! it was like a flurry of snow fell onto my sink and not to mention, a couple hairs too! Every time i scratch my head, it seems as if more hair falls out that shouldn't.

this is seriously pissing me off... am i doing something wrong? my scalp doesn't redden until i scratch it like a b**ch. i keep on the t-gel and nizoral after lathering it into my hair for around 5-10 minutes each. it doesn't seem to be helping my minoxidil itching and flaking. i don't want to quit this because as for now, minoxidil is the only treatment i can use until i reach 18 for finasteride.

is there any other type of minoxidil that wouldn't irritate, itch, and flake my scalp? i heard 2% contains more alcohol than 5%... does that mean i should switch? i'm currently using generic walgreens minoxidil. if there is any other brand out there that doesn't have these side effects, please let me know.

please help! thanks guys

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you need to add a serious conditioner and instead of using t-sal and nizoral on seperate days use both at them at the same time and use a regular shampoo on the off days. it sounds look you are over doing the nizoral and t-sal.

I use a ton of conditioner daily and it helps control the itching

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
oh hmmm i should try that. oh and about the T-Gel and Nizoral i use one a day. so Monday T-Gel, Tuesday nizoral. and so on and on sunday i use Dove Shampoo..

is it okay to apply a conditioner after using T-Gel or Nizoral? i thought you could only use one a day...

and isn't conditioner only for the hair? is there a conditioner that conditions and nourishes both the scalp and the hair?

thanks for the advice

Reaction score
You might be over doing it with the shampoos. I too rotate Tgel and Nizoral. And I do remember when I first started I was itching like crazy. I scrubbed my hair only in shower, rinse thoroughly with water.

In about 2 weeks it cleared up. I do not wait 10 mins soaking my head with the shampoos tho.

Do not scratch your head all the time.

Your scalp right now is like someone who has bad acne. Washing might help, washing too much is just gonna make it worse. Picking at it will inflammed it. Stick to the meds, wash it once a day with either nizoral or Tgel, and leave it. Or better, go for a hair wash in your local salon, they normally do a good job in washing, and getting your scalp clean. The following day, make sure you continue to maintain it.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Yea I'd say go easy on the shampoos they can have a drying effect when used too often especially without a conditioner.
You only need to use Nizoral once every 3 days and T/Gel once a week. Try leaving them in for up to 5 minutes tops for now. On the off days find a good quality shampoo. stay away from the bargain bin.Use a conditioner daily for a week or two and see what happens.
minoxidil can cause some flaking the first couple months. Here's the hard part...try not to scratch. I find when that crazy itch comes on once in a while, it'll go away if you have the will power to ignore it.

BHD

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot badhairdecade! yea it's so hard not to scratch and when i do, a lot of flaking and hair falls out. i'm going to try to not scratch my scalp when it itches. thanks for the advice!