ok guys, updates from those using this stuff......

blueinca

Reaction score
ok, guys- lets post some updates from those using this stuff. Its cracked up to inhibit more DHT etc etc - but does it actually work - just some simple posts, please- like: how long you've been using it & has your baldness problem got better or worse over that period........

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Too early to say, but I have tons of vellous regrowth that appears to be turning terminal--

all along the hairline and especially the temples...

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
9 months. Going good. I definitely feel a difference in the hairline, though its really subtle. The hair just below the temples has grown really well, the bit above, less so, though I would still warrant that with my regime I've achieved about 1/2 centimetre regrowth across the board. I'm a receeder btw. The major difference is that the hair at my hairline feels and looks much stronger than before.

Jon_e

Reaction score
13 months..So far, hairloss stopped. At about the 2-3 month mark, I noticed a ton of fine, white colored hairs in my temple areas, in addition to little pimples on my scalp. The pimples went away after a couple of months. Some of the white little hairs grew into thicker, darker colored hairs. In the crwon, hair seem thicker, but no dramatic increase in number.

Avodart .5mg 1 X daily (13 months)
Minoxidil (RiteAid brand) 1 X daily. (8 months)

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
In-depth Ramble

Difficult to sum up.

Hairs that still haven't spun off their mortal coil feel thick[er?]. Though the diffuse hairs seem to have gone, so while my crown now actually has good quality hair there, I now have a true white spot of baldness (tiny) and diffuseness.

Overall though not the greatest change in a year, which is good in it's own twisted way!

Midscalp; Um, I think I've got that typical island of a fringe forming, so there's a dip in thickness midscalp just behind my front lick of hair...
The diffuseness of Propecia days still there but with no real progression; again any remaining hairs good thickness with possible increase in their quality.

The main 'disaster' is the front hairline. Receeding (can't find the norwod scale but I think it's 2.5) and the lick of frontal hair/fringe remaining is becoming diffuse. It's certainly worse than last year. I could cut my hair short and still have a wide fringe; now it's about 2-3 inches across with obvious recession back if I do the same cut.

It's been a full year and I've been on the genuine Avodart tablets.

PS Tingle and constant maddening itchyness like never before.
Mainly from the crown, worringly. Also from parts of receeded hairline.
(Nothing a shot of copper* and Nizoral won't fix eh?!) Though could be down to very poor scalp condition; I just go for soap to take away all the grease from the day before or nizoral; don't really use normal shampoo cos the itching's then slightly worse!

*Tricomin; considering it

JWM

Reaction score
The main 'disaster' is the front hairline. Receeding (can't find the norwod scale but I think it's 2.5) and the lick of frontal hair/fringe remaining is becoming diffuse. It's certainly worse than last year.

Same exact thing happened to me after 10 months of use. :cry:

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
What're you using now?

I did have a bit of crisis of faith in Avodart ("is it real?!" "does my body just keep trucking on producing heaps of DHT despite it?" "Is it cos I ate that extra slice of pizza last night?"). So I used up a one month pack of Propecia left lying around.

I'm not really sure *why* I did but that's the craziness of hairloss! Anyway, pyschosis aside I wonder if that accelerated anything or if Ihad a shed in response (confusing cos I thought this Avodart would cover all the bases...)

So, at any point did you mix Avodart and Propecia?

And today had a real looooong look and my fringe is very diffuse. The front V of hair looks to be on it's last year. sh*t.
Shaved head here I come?!

JWM

Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried mixing them. I REALLY wanted dutasteride to work for me, but my troubles are a diffuse front and that's all and dutasteride seemed to make this worse.

What used to be my saving grace was a strong, thick tuft of hair in front I could use to hide the thinning behind it. Since I've been on dutasteride the tuft has become very diffuse and it has become increasingly difficult to style my hair.

I have no idea what my next move is. Sadly, I don't respond well to minoxidil either.

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
JWM said:
Yeah, I've tried mixing them. I REALLY wanted dutasteride to work for me, but my troubles are a diffuse front and that's all and dutasteride seemed to make this worse.

What used to be my saving grace was a strong, thick tuft of hair in front I could use to hide the thinning behind it. Since I've been on dutasteride the tuft has become very diffuse and it has become increasingly difficult to style my hair.

I have no idea what my next move is. Sadly, I don't respond well to minoxidil either.

Wincing slightly at the description of "Tuft of hair in front" as I saw conclusivly today it's really being shored up by my efforts at combing forward!

Dutasteride... I don't know what to do. I was on Propecia for a year with nothing really changing (looking back at my moans about "thinning" just prior to switching to dutasteride seem really a loooong way off the mark!
(Then again it's often when you're in a bit of a panic about and misjudge how bad!).

Of course whether i'd have had this on Propecia I have no idea. I just can't shake the idea that either:
-Avodart just doesn't work on me (Someone at a drugs company admitted it's a minority of people who respond well to drugs! Hmmm). Also suggesting no DHT inhibitors would work
-It's testoserone's increased presence
-It's dud tablets?!

I'm interested in getting my regimen in order and be more effective on the front than it is at the moment.

I've thought about the future. Thought I could crop it. I've started thinking about stuff like hair transplants and even wigs (i'm still a fair bit from that option tho!)! Of course, going bald this young probably means I'm not the best candidate for hair transplants.

PS JWM: You mentioned zinc in another post; I think I'll take it again as it couldn't hurt!

J_friend

Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride for around five-six months. I began in the summer (around July-August) and I was taking .5 every other day. Around October, I noticed I was having some type of allergic reaction (swelling under the eyes and eyelids); and although it could have been due to something else, I decided to take a pill once every three days. The reaction seems to be better (again, I have no idea if this was the dutasteride). As for results, I feel that my hair loss has been halted. I have a good deal of hair to begin with, and I'm on dutasteride, Xandrox 5%, and Nizoral 1%. I am now using Xandrox 5% once a day (sometimes I'll put on 15% at night, but not too often). I feel that I'm still combating baldness and not using as much dutasteride or Xandrox at the same time. In addition, I enjoy the "stiffness" I get from Xandrox - it makes my hair easier to style, and it holds better (a bit like hairspray). I was on Propecia right since it was marketed, as well as Minoxidil (even before Rogaine came out - the pharmicist was crush the pills). Therefore, I've been fighting male pattern baldness for around 20 years. My older brother has lost most of his hair, and I still have a full head. Perhaps NONE of these regimens have really worked, but I have to believe that it's one of the main reasons I still have my hair. Anyway ... that's my story - good luck to all!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
what do you mean that "perhaps none of these regimes have worked?"

Is it possible that you could have not gone bald, while your brother, on the other hand, does go bald?

J_friend

Reaction score
Yes, Aplunk, that was my point. I mean, I'm assuming these have definitely worked, but since I started my "attack" on male pattern baldness so early, I guess there's a possibility that I never received the "bald gene" in my family. Some brothers go bald, while others do not. Nevertheless, in my opinion, my battle has been successful thus far. Sorry if that sounded confusing. :)

mattam

Reaction score
dutasteride not working after 1 year

Hi,

Sad to report the result, I have been on dutasteride for almost 1 year now at 0.5mg everyday. Things have not improved at all. Loss is continuing.

I was on Propecia for 3 years with good result. Then one day it just stopped working so I switched to dutasteride one year ago.

Will use up the rest of my dutasteride supply and call it a quit. I have had strange reactions to the drug, though cannot say for definite if it can be attributed purely to the drug (i.e. light-headedness, "brain fog", depression, bag under eyes, insomnia -- all thing you probably read on here).

Anyway, no sexual side effects (but less ejaculation volume). Hope this is helpful somewhat.

I think dutasteride would work great if you are first time to finasteride or dutasteride. But if you are like me who finasteride stopped working, I think dutasteride would not help much.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Ive been on dutasteride (dutas) for around 13 months. My dosage changes some times i take it daily, some times every other day. My hair has gotten a bit worse, i could tell as i have started to thin in the vertex region. I will continue to take dutasteride for another year and see how things go.