oily skin!!!!

jeffsss

Reaction score
How do you guys get rid of your oilly skin?

I have oily skin naturally.. but i think finasteride made it worse.

i'm using proactive with oil control.. I have the proactive oil absorbing sheets.

it's going to suck when i lose all my hair and my dome is reflecting light into peoples eyes.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
are you getting acne or just oily skin?

propecia gives me bad acne on my face, chest, and arms. so i started taking minocin (minocycline) and it helps keep my acne under control.

jeffsss

Reaction score
kosmo said:
are you getting acne or just oily skin?

propecia gives me bad acne on my face, chest, and arms. so i started taking minocin (minocycline) and it helps keep my acne under control.

no, i'm using proactive so my acne is minimal..

but i have real bad oily skin.. especially in the T area.. (nose/forhead)

Britannia

Reaction score
Jeffsss try a good quality fash wash twice a day, something that is designed for combination skin like yours. Also use a facial scrub twice a week only. If you use a scrub too frequently it makes matters worse. In the mornings after you wash and shave, use a moisturiser again that is designed for oily/combination skin. Make sure its a mattifying one so it leaves no shine. For an extra kick try using a facial toner daily and maybe a clay pack once a week. That is especially useful if you suffer from blackheads.
Hope this helps.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Jeffsss try a good quality fash wash twice a day, something that is designed for combination skin like yours. Also use a facial scrub twice a week only. If you use a scrub too frequently it makes matters worse.

Is it too irritating to the skin if you use it more than twice a week? What's the specific purpose of a "facial scrub", anyway (as opposed to plain ol' soap)?

Britannia said:
In the mornings after you wash and shave, use a moisturiser again that is designed for oily/combination skin.

I don't think he should bother with a moisturizer unless he actually has a problem with dry skin, and he made no mention of that.

Bryan

Britannia

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Britannia said:
Jeffsss try a good quality fash wash twice a day, something that is designed for combination skin like yours. Also use a facial scrub twice a week only. If you use a scrub too frequently it makes matters worse.

Is it too irritating to the skin if you use it more than twice a week? What's the specific purpose of a "facial scrub", anyway (as opposed to plain ol' soap)?

Britannia said:
In the mornings after you wash and shave, use a moisturiser again that is designed for oily/combination skin.

I don't think he should bother with a moisturizer unless he actually has a problem with dry skin, and he made no mention of that.

Bryan

Hey this is just what helped me with my oily skin. A scrub exfoiliates and "polishes" the skin. If youve never tried one I recommend it, afterwards you like WOW! is that my skin? When I first started using a regeime like the one I suggested to Jeffsss people were all saying how good my skin looked. Kind of a MASSIVE confidence boost when youve got hairloss in the back of you mind.
And were you being serious about good'ol soap. It left my skin so dry I had to have a catus surgically removed from my face.
About the moisturiser, I was describing one which controls sebum production and leave your skin looking matt. I used to HATE having a shiny T zone. Anyone with oily skin can relate to this.
Sorry Bryan but Im kind of a male grooming freak at the moment!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Hey this is just what helped me with my oily skin. A scrub exfoiliates and "polishes" the skin. If youve never tried one I recommend it, afterwards you like WOW! is that my skin? When I first started using a regeime like the one I suggested to Jeffsss people were all saying how good my skin looked. Kind of a MASSIVE confidence boost when youve got hairloss in the back of you mind.

Well, I understand that it helps the APPEARANCE of your skin and gives you a confidence or ego boost. But how would it help Jeff's oil problem? If you can only use it a couple times a week, it's obviously not going to remove very much oil.

Britannia said:
And were you being serious about good'ol soap. It left my skin so dry I had to have a catus surgically removed from my face.

I recently completed some testing of my own where I washed my forehead thoroughly with Ivory soap 5-6 times a day, every day for more than a full week. I had no unusual problems, no dry skin that I was aware of. Of course, other people might react differently to such a regimen...

Britannia said:
About the moisturiser, I was describing one which controls sebum production and leave your skin looking matt.

I don't know of any scientific evidence at all that a moisturizer would have any effect on sebum production, nor can I think of any rationale for why it would. This is an issue that I've been discussing lately on an acne forum, so I'm rather up on all the evidence (or lack of it)! :)

Bryan

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Jeffsss, i noticed when i was on minoxidil that it made my skin greasy and made the pores on my face huge. when i stopped minoxidil the oily skin went away and my pores returned to normal. maybe its the same for you.

Britannia is right about the facial scrub, i use one and it seems to make my skin look pretty good. i use a mosturizer too after showering cause my skin gets dry.

jeffsss

Reaction score
kosmo said:
Jeffsss, i noticed when i was on minoxidil that it made my skin greasy and made the pores on my face huge. when i stopped minoxidil the oily skin went away and my pores returned to normal. maybe its the same for you.

Britannia is right about the facial scrub, i use one and it seems to make my skin look pretty good. i use a mosturizer too after showering cause my skin gets dry.

i only used minoxidil for about 3 days.. i got off b/c i decided i want to see if i can maintain before i try regrowth..

i've always had oily skin.. but if i buzz my hair it'll be really noticiable.

Britannia

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Britannia said:

Well, I understand that it helps the APPEARANCE of your skin and gives you a confidence or ego boost. But how would it help Jeff's oil problem? If you can only use it a couple times a week, it's obviously not going to remove very much oil.

A scrub removes all the dead skin that dull the appearence of the skin and digs out pore clogging crap. So maybe your right it might not help sebum on the skin much, but the difference it makes to appearence -WOW!

Bryan said:
Britannia said:

I recently completed some testing of my own where I washed my forehead thoroughly with Ivory soap 5-6 times a day, every day for more than a full week. I had no unusual problems, no dry skin that I was aware of. Of course, other people might react differently to such a regimen...

You must be lucky and have well balanced skin - not overly dry or oily. Trust me soap on some peoples skin is almost suicidal.

Bryan said:
Britannia said:
About the moisturiser, I was describing one which controls sebum production and leave your skin looking matt.

I don't know of any scientific evidence at all that a moisturizer would have any effect on sebum production, nor can I think of any rationale for why it would. This is an issue that I've been discussing lately on an acne forum, so I'm rather up on all the evidence (or lack of it)! :)

Bryan

They certainely do have an effect on sebum production. Well the ones that are designed to anyway. Any evidence I need stares back at me from the mirror.

Britannia

Reaction score
tomsmith said:
www.ketsugo.co.uk

I was going to post the link of my favourite male grooming shop for jeffsss but decided not to because technically it is spamming. I think you should remove this link and PM jeffsss some details if you like.

jeffsss

Reaction score
that product looks alot like proactive.. i'm using that now..

i just started doxycycline.. hopefully that'll help me some.

oh, and i've been tanning a lot too.. that's been drying up my skin..

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Proactive won't regulate sebum production. A few hours later your skin will be greasy again. Ketsugo in the morning and night with normal soap left on the skin during your morning shower/wash for 10-20 seconds.

Try that for two weeks and tell me there isn't a difference.

Britannia

Reaction score
tomsmith said:
I think not.

Fine Ill get the moderators to remove it then.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Bryan said:

You must be lucky and have well balanced skin - not overly dry or oily. Trust me soap on some peoples skin is almost suicidal.

It may well have a "drying" effect on many people, but it doesn't affect sebum production. In fact, that was the specific purpose of my testing: to measure the effect on oil production on my forehead by washing excessively with Ivory soap. There was no effect at all.

Britannia said:
Bryan said:

They certainely do have an effect on sebum production. Well the ones that are designed to anyway. Any evidence I need stares back at me from the mirror.

The only way I know of that they could affect sebum production is if they also include substances which have antiandrogenic properties, or inhibit 5a-reductase. That's because sebum production is under androgenic control. I don't know of a single iota of scientific evidence that sebaceous glands respond in any way to the level of moisture in the surrounding skin.

It's very difficult to judge sebum production accurately, based only on casual, everyday observations. The only way to do it reliably is to use scientific methods, like Sebutape test-strips or expensive instruments like Sebumeters or Lipometers. There are various traps and pitfalls associated with trying to estimate it, based just on what you see in the mirror every morning.

Bryan

2tone

Reaction score
hiys jefsss

its a suject that is close to my heart too and i cngatulate you for taking it onboard

I do think exfoliating properly helps with sebum issues because it help clean the skin surface thus allowing the normal processes to wok better , i dont thikk it is of any real advanage whatsoever to have clogged pores for what ever reason .

Secondly, i completley agree with the poster who said he thought it was great having clear skin because of the self esteem aspect of looking better and people saying that you looked better - i mean tyhats fantastically cool if you thik about it .

Some of the best results i have hhad with cleaning the skin is from using Vitamin C .. basically i use a 100mg VitC pill and mix it with some exfoliating cream (you know the rough stuff that just feels like liquid sand) .. i was staggered with the cosmetic improvement from using VitC compounds .
Another thing to consider using is dissolved asprin on the skin for cleaning purposes ..
anyway jeffss have a look at this link will ya .. i found it and admire the work the person has done to present the information ther and would like to share it .. http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/aha.html

As far as reducing Sebum production generasll i think the a number one thing y9ou should consider doping is to reduce dietary fats from your meals .. and if you are going to use dietary fats (which you will do cause you have to) choose the good fats above the bad ones .
e.g. Use Cold pressed Oilve oils for salad dressings

I would also if i was you consider supplimenting with Lecithin .which although it is a Fat (lipid) itself is a remarkable one that can healp bring your general metabolism of Fats into a better profile ..

DEfinately check out the VitC and Asprin and make your own facial scrub .. thats my best advise ,, and replace all fried foods and other gross use of especially fatty foods out for a bit .. you might be surprised how much dietary fat sneaks in when you aint looking LOL

Good on you jeffsss you are going to nail this puppy i can assure you