Oh the ITCH!

knn

Reaction score
I'm using Kirklands 5% minoxidil 2x/day on temples, top, and crown. Taking propecia, and using Nizoral every other day or so. I've been on these now for 1 month.

The itch is unbearable! I've tried using Head and Shoulders and a couple of similar dandruff-based shampoos. I've also tried salacyllic acid 3% shampoo. None of these -- including Nizoral -- make a difference -- the itch is constant.

Most of the time I can "mind over matter" the itch but often it is so intense, I HAVE to get a brush and "scratch" it.

I've read about copper peptide solutions but I don't want to get into another liquid application. Are copper peptide shampoos any good at helping to reduce itch? If so, which ones?

I haven't tried any other minoxidil products but perhaps they glycol is the issue. I could try one of Lee's products but dang, the Kirklands stuff is SO cheap...

Any other suggestions, feel free to throw em out!

As a side note, I have only been at this for a month but there seems to be some kind of smallish-hairs popping up. I took baseline pix and will take some more at 2 months.

mosheg91

Reaction score
try to use dr lee's minoxidil or alopexy ... your itch should stop with one of these two ... good luck !

legion00

Reaction score
kirkland minoxidil also made my scalp very itchy. this probably means your scalp is either dry or has some inflammation, which is detrimental to hair regrowth. i've never tried it, but i hear rogaine foam is a lot easier on your skin.

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
legion00 said:
kirkland minoxidil also made my scalp very itchy. this probably means your scalp is either dry or has some inflammation, which is detrimental to hair regrowth. i've never tried it, but i hear rogaine foam is a lot easier on your skin.

About half the time, allergies to minoxidil-containing formulations are to minoxidil itself. The remainder are due to an allergy to propylene glycol. Dr. Lee offers a minoxidil formulation that substitutes glycerol for propylene glycol. This may solve your problem.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

satch5150

Reaction score
hey mate, when I started using minoxidil I had a terrible itch as you. Also white skin flakes. The only thing that helped me was T-Gel for itchy scalp (it looks brownish) but now they won't sell it in my country (Poland). It really helped keeping it clean from white flakes and itch. But the itch went away now. Yours will too probably eventually :)

Reaction score
Dr. P.,

Could an allergist subject someone to a test for both 1) minoxidil and 2) PPG to see which the person is reacting to?

LAC

knn

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I just got a 2oz set of folligen shampoo/conditioner and will try T-gel also as I haven't tried a coal-tar shampoo.

It is quite possible that glycol is causing the itch as my skin is very sensitive to all sorts of stuff. Hopefully it is not the minoxidil that is causing the itch...

I'll also try Dr. Lee's formula but one variable at a time.

For quite some time, I've had a red, inflamed scalp which I'm sure has contributed to my male pattern baldness.

knn

Reaction score
I've tried a number of different shampoos and none really seem any better than the others. Head and Shoulders perhaps helps a little more but I still get occasional itches that are so intense it is almost like a pin prick and I HAVE to scratch.

I did try Folligen shampoo briefly and it may have helped a little, but all I got was a sample (and I was major shorted) so I didn't get much of a chance to give it a try.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have faced the same problem. I switched to minoxidil without PPG and the itch disappeared.

Don't think the itch will get better. It'll only get worse. Eventually your scalp will be in such a bad condition you'll be losing MORE hair.