Official Hellouser To Kyoto Hair Congress 2017 Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamienohair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it can

Thank you for your reply. I have been reading more about their technology and the major issue they are faced with thus far is the culturing of the cells within the bulge area (mesenchymal) of the follicle. If they can solve this issue then it would be rational to suggest that Dr. Tsuji's primordium method can supply virtually an unlimited amount of hair follicles for patients and therefore establish a cure for male pattern baldness. Very exciting indeed, lets just hope they succeed in their endeavour and that it does not come out any later than 2020.

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser

Another question for Tsuji-san. What about the arrector pili muscles? These have been demonstrated to degrade with the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia and have also been known to serve a crucial role in the hair follicular unit. Will these be regenerated as well when the follicle primordia are injected under the scalp? How? Will they be resuscitated or will new AP form? In either case, how will the follicle unit "merge" with the AP? Or does something else happen? If new AP grow, will that influence the hair growth direction then, since AP alignment and hair alignment naturally coincide?

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser

Sorry another question - suppose a person who is in the process of balding comes wants to use this technology. When they take a sample from the scalp, how would they know which areas to avoid? What if the accidentally sample hair from regions that have not miniaturized just yet, but are destined to do so shortly. For example, for those of us who bald through a receding hairline. The hair behind the recession front is still fairly thick, but we know it is doomed. Are there microscopic cues that can inform them which follicles to avoid (within the donor region, obviously)? Asking just in case thinning is destined to extend into the donor region also

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser

Will you have a chance to interview Cots as well? Would it be possible to ask him if the new hair that grows with Follica is DHT resistant? How does he know? Does the mechanism make sense?

And do they have any plans for scale up in place already? Have they decided which clinics will first begin offering treatment? Is there an estimate for the launch date?

Since they are going to do phase III in 2018 and all, they should have some answers.

Also I don't understand why they completed phase II like 5 years ago and are only now talking about phase 3??

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser

Will you have a chance to interview Cots as well? Would it be possible to ask him if the new hair that grows with Follica is DHT resistant? How does he know? Does the mechanism make sense?

And do they have any plans for scale up in place already? Have they decided which clinics will first begin offering treatment? Is there an estimate for the launch date?

Since they are going to do phase III in 2018 and all, they should have some answers.

Also I don't understand why they completed phase II like 5 years ago and are only now talking about phase 3??

Well in Miami it was almost impossible scheduling an interview with Dr. Cotsarelis. My only chance to talk with him was after the congress for a moment and he wouldn't comment on anything about Follica. @Desmond_84 pretty much had the same issue a year prior in South Korea. I met with Dr. Ken Washenik, he's on the board for Follica and wouldn't comment about their work either.

However, that was 2 years ago and we're getting close to the release date and a lot has been made public with their new website so I would HOPE they can shed at least some light on the current status. I can't promise anything in regards to getting answers, but I'll definitely try.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser

Another question for Tsuji-san. What about the arrector pili muscles? These have been demonstrated to degrade with the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia and have also been known to serve a crucial role in the hair follicular unit. Will these be regenerated as well when the follicle primordia are injected under the scalp? How? Will they be resuscitated or will new AP form? In either case, how will the follicle unit "merge" with the AP? Or does something else happen? If new AP grow, will that influence the hair growth direction then, since AP alignment and hair alignment naturally coincide?
Just a reminder from the interview where they mention those things

Mr. Toyoshima: This hair-growth direction, which is the flow of hair, is determined when hair is generated. For our published paper, we create a small incision using a small surgical knife, which, as I mentioned earlier, is in the same direction as the hair flow. When the hair follicle germ is grafted in this incision, all hair was regenerated in the same direction as the original hair flow. On the other hand, as an experiment, we also created a small incision for grafting in the opposite direction. This was an experiment using body hair. It is known that the connection direction of arrector pili muscles of hair completely align with hair flow. The results determined that the connection direction of the arrector muscles of hair, as well hair flow, was actually influenced by the surrounding tissues.

Keiko: So this is what you mentioned earlier that transplanted follicles interact with the surrounding tissues…

Mr. Toyoshima: Yes, we believe this can happen. This is dependent on types of hair, the condition of skin for transplant, etc., therefore although we cannot say that it will definitely happen, we think that the direction of regenerated hair growth will align with that of the original hair. For this, we plan to develop a clinical model in the clinical research in the future in order to further study this point.

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a reminder from the interview where they mention those things

Mr. Toyoshima: This hair-growth direction, which is the flow of hair, is determined when hair is generated. For our published paper, we create a small incision using a small surgical knife, which, as I mentioned earlier, is in the same direction as the hair flow. When the hair follicle germ is grafted in this incision, all hair was regenerated in the same direction as the original hair flow. On the other hand, as an experiment, we also created a small incision for grafting in the opposite direction. This was an experiment using body hair. It is known that the connection direction of arrector pili muscles of hair completely align with hair flow. The results determined that the connection direction of the arrector muscles of hair, as well hair flow, was actually influenced by the surrounding tissues.

Keiko: So this is what you mentioned earlier that transplanted follicles interact with the surrounding tissues…

Mr. Toyoshima: Yes, we believe this can happen. This is dependent on types of hair, the condition of skin for transplant, etc., therefore although we cannot say that it will definitely happen, we think that the direction of regenerated hair growth will align with that of the original hair. For this, we plan to develop a clinical model in the clinical research in the future in order to further study this point.
Fair point. I guess my question was about direction if new AP muscles are generated. I'm still concerned about the AP muscle because it seems to be an integral part of the FU right and in some way represents the irreversible nature of Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm just worried that they may not be able to reverse this and I am trying to see if they have offered any strategies or explanations.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair point. I guess my question was about direction if new AP muscles are generated. I'm still concerned about the AP muscle because it seems to be an integral part of the FU right and in some way represents the irreversible nature of Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm just worried that they may not be able to reverse this and I am trying to see if they have offered any strategies or explanations.
I see. The most likely scenario is that a new muscle grows tho. I'm actually reading an article on the first steps of hair induction right now, will see if there's anything about ap muscles. Will post it anyway in the follica's thread.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Question posed by @gimmiehairorgimmiedeath on another thread for Tsuji’s team:

No idea for sure but I'm assuming that to get dense full coverage you'll need to do multiple sessions, reason being that there is only so much available blood supply to hook up to new implanted follicles so you'll have to let each round of new ones settle in before you go again. Maybe not though, who knows.

H

Reaction score
Okay so how much more cash is actually needed 4 gs?

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. The most likely scenario is that a new muscle grows tho. I'm actually reading an article on the first steps of hair induction right now, will see if there's anything about ap muscles. Will post it anyway in the follica's thread.
http://dacemirror.sci-hub.io/journal-article/c3df0fc98f6aa99f02bb9759d1dd09ba/torkamani2014.pdf
This is the paper that has me worried. Tl;dr the AP muscles turn into fat in the case of Androgenetic Alopecia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337983/
Meanwhile Tsuji-san-sama-senpai is talking about injecting follicle GERMS into the scalp and remarking how they develop properly, complete with appropriate connections to the surrounding tissues - circulation, nerves, and of course the AP muscle.

So, Tsuji-kun-sensei, what of all of my AP muscles are DEAD? :( on a scale of Histogen to Propecia, how fked am I?

That's really what I was getting at.

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just checkin' in, seems donations are far from goal and congress start at the end of the month :(
Giving the current amount, do you think you can still make it ?

Also, i saw there's multiple presentation in same time slots, which one did you choose ?

There is one i'm curious of, "Anti-Aging for Hair", could be interesting regarding how baldies remaining hair like ours seem to "age" or degrade at a much faster rate than Norwood blessed people, not sure if this is miniaturization induced or whatever, but there's definetly something, could be a additional approach to cosmeticly upgrade our situation

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://dacemirror.sci-hub.io/journal-article/c3df0fc98f6aa99f02bb9759d1dd09ba/torkamani2014.pdf
This is the paper that has me worried. Tl;dr the AP muscles turn into fat in the case of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Meanwhile Tsuji-san-sama-senpai is talking about injecting follicle GERMS into the scalp and remarking how they develop properly, complete with appropriate connections to the surrounding tissues - circulation, nerves, and of course the AP muscle.

So, Tsuji-kun-sensei, what of all of my AP muscles are DEAD? :( on a scale of Histogen to Propecia, how fked am I?

In Tujsi's study
The bioengineered vibrissa follicle germs generated not only hair follicles in the variable region but also infundibulum and sebaceous gland structures in the permanent region, and in contrast to the bioengineered pelage follicle, the follicle-derived cells did not distribute among the surrounding cutaneous tissues.

Not all hairs are equals

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is a great question, and I'd love to hear Tsuji's response to it. It's worth pointing out that in the article you linked, it says that the arrector pili muscles are miniaturized, but not completely destroyed. So it may be possible that the injected hair primordiums will stimulate the arrector pili to attach to the follicle's bulge region. In fact, Tsuji's 2012 article makes reference to this (see Figure 7 of https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1784 )

Warning: getting technical here!
The 2012 article also says "Nephronectin (NPNT), which is also expressed in follicle epithelial stem cells in the bulge region and provides the microenvironment for arrector pili muscle development by binding with the α8β1 integrin of mesenchymal progenitor cells, was detected in the bulge region-epithelial stem cells of the bioengineered pelage follicle. In contrast, NPNT was not detected in the bulge region of the bioengineered vibrissae"

So it sounds like as long as Nephronectin is expressed in human bioengineered follicles the same way as it is in mouse pelage follicles, it should be able to give rise to the arrector pili, as would happen in embryo.

Search Google for section 3.5 of the book "Biology and Engineering of Stem Cell Niches" for a description of the arrector pili and how it connects to the bulge region of the follicle.

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Question for Follica team - can they reveal anything about the status of their final trial? Any indication as to if they're really on track for first half of 2018 pivotal trials?

I'm very excited to hear more about Tsuji, but there will be years to get more info out of them. I feel like Follica is our best hope for a new treatment for now (at least, US residents)

Last edited:

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just gave 10$. I hope this succeeds.
I hate how all of us complain about hairloss but we don't sh*t about it in a sense, yea we rub in our minoxidil and swallow our propecia, but is there nothing else to do but wait for a cure? Let's get this man to japan so we can at least find out information on this so called cure, and new treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.