off topicals for a week -- disastrous shed coming?

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm travelling overseas for a week in Feb and will be sharing a room, so I'm not going to be doing treatments at night. The guy I'm sharing with doesn't know I'm thinning in back (thanks, toppik!) and I hide it fairly well in front. I do minoxidil and tricomin, and it's the minoxidil that worries me. I'm just starting some good regrowth and I don't want to trigger a massive shed and lose all my progress. Anyone with experience with this? I use minoxidil 2x a day whenever I can and once always. I shed at the drop of a hat...I've read here, tho, that some people take a week off now and then. Any advice would be great.

Karch

Reaction score
it also matters how long you've been using it. I doubt you'd have a MASSIVE shed. But you'll probably see more hairs falling out then while you were on it, most probably towards the end of your trip than in the beginning

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
i was on it for a year. i quit for a week and there was no big shed.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention...

Forgot to mention I'm a newbie on Finasteride for the last couple of months and I'm getting some promising regrowth. Will taking that through the trip help fend of a shed, too?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Sheds are not inherently evil. They just mean that a change has occurred. Its just dormancy of the follicles. They will recover and resume, if the shed even happens at all.

HairLossTalk.com

coreman

Reaction score
I don't understand this. Is it that big of a deal to just slip into a bathroom and apply your minoxidil at night? Why go through all that worry and fear just because you're afraid some roommate for a night is going to find out that you're actually a real human being and are losing some hair?

nikeaddict

Established Member
Reaction score
i agree, is he your boyfriend? who cares if a dude knows your hair is not perfect. take a shower, and apply the minoxidil, it will look as if your hair is just wet from the shower. it sounds like you are into your regimen, dont let a trip make you start wondering what if and second guessing your results.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
No, he's not my boyfriend :-x He's just a jerk and would love to tell the world. My hair looks really thin with a wet head and the back uncovered. Toppik fools everybody...It's almost too good.

nikeaddict

Established Member
Reaction score
:-x f*** the guy and dont go off the treatment, you will feel worse knowing you may have done damge. Just do what you got t do. and keep up what is working

The Gardener

Reaction score
Justasking, try this...

Instead of applying the minoxidil to your wet head, instead, wait until your hair has completely dried and go ahead and style it. This is a little trick that Cassin from these MB's taught me and it has revolutionalized my am minoxidil schedule.

THEN, after the styling, slip into the bathroom and take your minoxidil dropper (assuming you have a DROPPER, this won't work with a dauber) and fill the dropper with minoxidil. Then, pull the dropper from the minoxidil jar and wipe the outside of the dropper so it won't leave residue on your hair. Then, using the dropper, gently poke through your styled hair until the dropper hits your scalp, and gently let a droplet go. DON'T rub it in, just let the minoxidil sit until it is absorbed. Keep doing this, dotting your affected thinning areas with minoxidil. This method keeps the minoxidil OUT of your hair, for the most part, and you don't have to worry about drying time because the wet minoxidil will be hidden by the dry, styled hair above it.

Keep in mind that you might have to sit in the bathroom for several minutes, to make sure any excess minoxidil that drips off is wiped up so you don't have oil streaks down your forehead. But, this is in my humble opinion the best way to apply minoxidil when there is a tight turnaround time. I do this every morning and manage to get about 1 to 1.25 mls of minoxidil on my head and still be office-presentable a half hour later, even though there is still wet minoxidil on the roots. Give it a shot, practice it before your trip, and let me know if it works for you. All the best, TG

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I really appreciate the advice, especially Gardener. I use Toppik in the morning, so I'm not sure if I could use it and still do minoxidil that way, but I only use it in the back. Would Toppik still adhere to the hair if it was wet at the roots? Any Toppik wearers?

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been back on minoxidil for about two weeks now after taking a break for almost 3 weeks. I have not experienced any real loss, but I was not willing to take any chances staying off it. I am glad I am back on it.

But in reference to this topic, I would not stay off any topicals for too long, or at all if possible.

Nomad