Off the drugs VS. On the drugs, differences between both

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
HI guys

haven't posted in a while. i was overseas for a bit.

while overseas, in completely stopped finasteride and minoxidil and spironalcatone. i just used nizoral every 3 days, and JnJ shampoo.

off all these things for 4 months now

My results:

i have not noticed an ACCERLATION of hair loss. While I was on all these medicines, i noticed my hairline would move further up every few weeks or so, it has continued moving up off the drugs at about the same rate. i have not noticed a decrease in hairloss. it is roughly about the same. I have lost my fat around the body and tits. I feel healthier and less lethargic.

Although my hairline is higher, not putting the spironolactone or folligen or minoxidil in my hair has resulted in my hair feeling volumous, and thick. people have commented on how much thicker my hair looks. I brush it thoroughly and it does seem to have gotten THICK.

i apply a bit of toppik and my hair is looking damn good. In fact, after brushing it a lot, and combing my hair upward, it looks like i do not have even a Norwood 1.5 when in actuality its probably a 3.

i must admit my hair is looking better than before.

its been 4 months and i have not noticed a difference. Am i being a fool, should i get back on the drugs, or risk going totally bald sometime? im' curious what your thoughts are.

also, whats the deal with dutasteride? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY LINKS WITH GOOD, UPDATED PICTURES OF dutasteride. USERS?

Thanks guys and good luck.

oh, p.s., i don't know if it makes a difference, but when i was living outside of a humid environment my hair felt nicer, also, i was drinking lots and lots of water, and eating healthier (all organic) when i was outside the U.S.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Receding boy,

Its very difficult to tell you what to do since many of your observations are subjective, and influenced by many factors.

Could be that you arent very responsive to treatments or a slow responder so going off them for 4 months wasnt able to really show any negative or positive effects. It also could be that your male pattern baldness is stabilizing(some people do) and taking treatmetns would be a waste of time.

Or it could be the change in diet/environment etc.

I would probably at least wait and see. You can always go back on if you want.

later

BaldyBill

Reaction score
receding boy.

When did u start on Finasteride ?
I kinda remember you from last July time when I was trying to decide whether to start.

Sounds like your lifestyle changed a lot during this period, so it’s difficult to say what improved your hair, but it will also be interesting to see what happens now your back in your usual environment.

When you say “fat around the body and titsâ€￾, do you attribute this solely to the Finasteride ? How bad was it and how long did it take for this to go ?

BaldyBill.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed.

I say stay off the drugs, and just stick to nizoral for now.. 4 months might not be enough time for things to go downhill.

I remember when i got off finasteride.. it took a good 8-9 months for things to start to go downhill.. and fast.

Just keep a close eye.. When I went to vacation overseas.. I also noticed a change in my skin and hair. It was almost immediate.. so i suppose the environment can have it's own effect as well.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Karch

Reaction score
Maybe you just never really responded to the drugs. The decreased "swelling or fat loss" on your body and tits is probably cause you stopped the finasteride. Personally, when I slacked off on minoxidil, my hairloss drastically increased.

Also a lot of what your finding your hair to be thicker can be because of change of enviroment. Back about 10 years ago(I was 11, no hairloss), last time I was out of the country, gone for 2.5 months, I remember my hair felt different. I can't tell you if it felt thicker or whatever, I dont' remember that much, but I do remember it felt different.

G

It could be that DHT hasn't damaged your hair to the point that you start shedding. You just have to wait and see.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm going through a serious shed right now. while my hair was awesome the few weeks since i was back, it has gone thin again.

i don't know what to make of all this crap. i have decided to stay off the drugs though.

ONE DEFINITE THING THOUGH: I have shed a lot more hair now since i am off the drugs. For example, I lose like 50 hairs that i can count when i comb my hair now. But from what i understand, losing up to 150 hairs a day is normal, its just that I wouldn't see it with the finasteride. On the other hand, in terms of my hairline going up and up, i think it is roughly equivalent to the same as when i was on the drugs, so, in sum, from what i can tell i am receding at the same rate, yet i NOTICE more hair falling out...

any ideas?

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
2 YEAR UPDATE:

I'm BAACK on the drugs. Was running fine for about a year, now the loss is back again. I'm like a Norwood 2.75A if they have that. last feb. i was a NW2A. I'm growing my hair long. its really long and shabby on the sides and back and short and thinner in the front area.

I've been on fincar for about 7 months now, and using minoxidil off and on for about 4 months.

I'm definitely fatter again, this finacar DEFINITELY causes me to go fat. I won't complain too much though because i have taken no steps to excercise and i'm not totally fat. i just took pre-drug taking skinny for granted. this issue doesn't bother me nearly as much as hairloss.

okay so what should i do? stay on drugs or get off?

-RB