Off finasteride for 4 days...

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I started using finasteride (5mg split into 1.25 mg quarters) 2 years ago and over the last year I've really become aware of a reduction in my libido. No morning erections and difficulty in maintaining when I do get erections. I had blood tests done about 6 months ago and everything seemed fine: high testosterone, no diabetes, no thyroid problems, etc. So it is, as far as I can tell, the result of taking finasteride.

Right, so 4 or 5 days ago I decided to go off finasteride and see what happens. Little happened until today. I've noticed my libido has substantially increased and I'm hoping this will continue until I'm back to my pre-finasteride self.

The thing is, I'm still rabidly consumed by a fear of losing my hair. I hope I'm not making a huge mistake here, but I'm tempted to go back to Propecia and try splitting it into quarters and see how I go with 0.25 mg.

Two things worry me:

Firstly, i've read (on that website I don't think we're allowed to name or mention) that some people experience an increase in libido soon after quitting, but it then disappears once their hormones adjust (or maladjust) to the absence of the drug - they end up worse than when they were when they were on it. In other words, I may not be out of the woods yet, so to speak.

Secondly, I fear that I'm playing with fire. If my body does readjust correctly and I do regain my libido and general sexual health, I worry that by returning to the drug, albeit on a considerably lower dose, I'm still risking the possibility of permanent side effects.

Any opinions?

Oh, and I used to be one of those who was highly critical of those who reported serious side-effects. Well, looks like I'm now one of them. For what it's worth, finasteride did its job pretty well: i've noticed no progression in my male pattern baldness and possibly even a little thickening over the last 2 years. It's a real shame that for some it ends up as a choice between having hair or having a sex life. *sigh*

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I understand your dilema and have been in your shoes from using 1mg of finasteride. I can tell you my sex drive did return back to normal after weeks and months of stopping using the drug with no permanent repercussions. I started the drug again last year taking 0.25mg of finasteride and now have no more problems and still manage to see some improvement in my hair.

3pm

Reaction score
Stu85 said:
Firstly, i've read (on that website I don't think we're allowed to name or mention)
thought-police.jpg

lolz.

Stu85 said:
The thing is, I'm still rabidly consumed by a fear of losing my hair.
Man I really don't understand this. My hair looks kinda lame @ 22, and you couldn't compensate me with anything to retry it. I dunno why so many see finasteride as a great cure for male pattern baldness, it's not a miracle pill.

Stu85, what you do with your body is your business, but I personally would say stay away from the source of your concerns.