Obtained a Propecia prescription, now what?

stv227

Reaction score
I posted here back in July when I first started noticing some hairline recession at my temples. My hairloss in the past 5 months has not been aggressive, but at the age of 24, it was enough to worry me into seeing a dermatologist. After seeing my dermatologist recently, he agreed that I was experiencing male pattern baldness. He told me that the two options I could pursue were Rogaine and/or Propecia. I agreed to the Propecia prescription because I would much prefer to take a daily pill than twice daily Rogaine application. My dermatologist noted that some people do experience sexual side effects with Propecia, but he did not seem apprehensive at all about writing a script and having me give it a shot.

The crown of my hair has been unaffected, and the hair that I still have, which admittedly is a lot, is as thick as it has always been. Only the temples have seemed to recede a bit, and not by much; i have always had a high hairline at the temples. I haven't experienced any significant shedding, just a couple of hairs at most if I run a wet hand through my hair or take a shower. I should note that for the past 5 years I have not used shampoo for my hair, just luke-warm water and a thorough scrub with my fingertips.

The question I have now is, should I go through with trying Propecia for a while and see if it is effective (knowing that there are some horror stories out there in regards to the side effects and their permanence), or should I cherish the hair that I have and hope that the progression of my recession remains relatively slow, and hope for a viable hair transplant down the road?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4504.JPG
    IMG_4504.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4503.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4502.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
I would also combine finasteride and minoxidil together for better results. Finasteride is really the standard for fighting male pattern baldness. It has pretty much the best results but also has some drawbacks... there can be side effects as it infers with your hormones and the effectiveness decreases with the years. Overall it should be save, tough.

stv227

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm just concerned with the constantly varying viewpoints on Finasteride. My dermatologist wasn't apprehensive at all about prescribing me the medication, and did warn me about the possibility of sexual side effects.

The logical side of me says I should accept the genetics I've been given and not mess around with the hormones in my body/wait till it gets bad enough and opt for a hair transplant, but the vain side of me says to get on Propecia ASAP and save my hair. I've Never been so conflicted in my life honestly.

stv227

Reaction score
I was planning on starting with Propecia first, should I muster up the courage, and then using minoxidil next if needed. Taking a pill is reasonable and easy, I don't know how dedicated I would be to twice daily applications of minoxidil.