NW2 hold

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone on finasteride and gone back to an NW2....and held it from there....with no more recession.....?
I've heard lots on this board about this but would like experience 1 yr / 2/3/4 yr finasteride users experience

thanks

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I was a diffuse nw2 heading towards nw3 been on finasteride for over 3 years im now a strong Norwood 2 with no changes for the past year or so. I do also use minoxidil foam on the hair line though.

Batzadog

Reaction score
finasteride does work in the front, but its not so effective like on top of the head and in the crown. If you are a Nw1 you may receed further. In this case finasteride cant keep your hair and you will receed to a nw2 even if you take it. But the recession may stop there because it should be more effective in those areas. The recession from a nw0-2 can also be slowed down or even completly stopped but I personally think it simply depends on your genetic disposition. Sometimes its even hard to tell if a stop of hairloss is due to finasteride or not because male pattern baldness sometimes causes recession and sometimes just stops for no reason. My Dad is a good example in his late twenties he lost tons of hair and went from a Norwood 1 to a Norwood 3 suddenly by the age of 30 his hairloss stopped , today he is 55 and he still has the same status. If he would have taken finasteride he would think that its due to finasteride. so you see its even hard to tell what exactly stops your hair loss . finasteride does work better in the crown and on top of the head for most guys it works but theres still a percentage of 15 percent of non responders, and i guess im one of them :dunno: if that happens your genes just cause further loss and finasteride is just able to slow it down.

INT

Reaction score
In the past I did read some stories about guys who said that they started balding by the age of 21 and then immediately started taking finasteride. Even guys which said that they were ment to end up as a NW6 where still in the same Norwood as when they started 10 years earlier.

I think it is very important to start as soon as possible.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
It depends on the genes. I think a lot of guys destined to be slick NW6/7s by age 25-30 are less likely to hold their hair than someone who recedes a little then gradually thins to a NW4.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
fightingalltheway said:
anyone on finasteride and gone back to an NW2....and held it from there....with no more recession.....?
I've heard lots on this board about this but would like experience 1 yr / 2/3/4 yr finasteride users experience

thanks

Yup. I was a thinning nw2 when I started (especially in the front). Now I am a thick Norwood 1.75- especially in the front. I was lucky enough to regrow some of my hairline.

Ironically, the vertex got the least results. I maintained alright, but I've got this little spot that's thinner than the rest of the crown

I have maintained this for 6 years. No recession. Just status quo for 6 years.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Todd said:
fightingalltheway said:

thanks

Yup. I was a thinning nw2 when I started (especially in the front). Now I am a thick Norwood 1.75- especially in the front. I was lucky enough to regrow some of my hairline.

Ironically, the vertex got the least results. I maintained alright, but I've got this little spot that's thinner than the rest of the crown

I have maintained this for 6 years. No recession. Just status quo for 6 years.

NB: after 5 years I added nizoral, with no noticable change, except my scalp feels a lot healthier

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
cheers for the positive responses, Todd, spanish lad, how did this reciede/hold and grow back over the time you were on finasteride. what timescales? Any pics? I also have used regaine on the temples for 8 months and its gone back from Norwood 1 to Norwood 2. i think i'll carry on using it though, not sure why ha.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
fightingalltheway said:
cheers for the positive responses, Todd, spanish lad, how did this reciede/hold and grow back over the time you were on finasteride. what timescales? Any pics? I also have used regaine on the temples for 8 months and its gone back from Norwood 1 to Norwood 2. i think i'll carry on using it though, not sure why ha.

Although I responded good to finasteride, I responded slow.
Shedding didn't stop 'til about 4 months in. Regrow not until a year. I'd say it took about 15-18 months before I saw the full results, maybe even longer.

I'm sure if you add a growth stimulants, the growth will kick in faster. On finasteride, you have to give you hair a chance to start the cycle on it's own, and that may take a little while.

But keep the faith and stay on the meds :)

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
..as well as the male pattern baldness itch question...isnt statous quo an Norwood 4/5??????

INT

Reaction score
Todd, do you have an idea how your hair would be if you didn't go on meds by for example looking at other male pattern baldness guys in your fam?

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
fightingalltheway said:
..as well as the male pattern baldness itch question...isnt statous quo an Norwood 4/5??????

Itch: no, didn't itch. I used to have a lot of dandruff, but thanx to nizoral that's no longer a problem

Status quo: I wasn't talking about the band :punk:

INT said:
Todd, do you have an idea how your hair would be if you didn't go on meds by for example looking at other male pattern baldness guys in your fam?

No idea, and I honestly wouldn't like to find out.
Best case scenario (mothers side): norwood 3-4 and then it stops :dunno:
Worst case (father side): norwood 5-6-7 :thumbdown2:

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone else? Ive been on for 15months and i'd like to stay positive i can stay at a NW2 overtime...the right side is NW2 but the left an NW1......stange!