Nuts!!

NeedSomeHelp

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, anyone know what is the scientific reason that drugs like finasteride and Saw Palmetto causes testicular pain? We know that decreased libido is due to a change in hormones but what about the feeling of getting kicked in the balls? What a cruel joke god is playing.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude I dont have testicle pain, you ought to go see a doctor and have that checked out.

NeedSomeHelp

Reaction score
its not a acute pain, more like an inflammation/pull/soreness than anything. VERY ANNOYING THO! Went to the Doctor already he says i'm fine. But he cant give me a answer on the cause. I'm hoping that i can find some scientific explanation. Does anybody know?

Cassin

Reaction score
I have seen this posted a few times, I think the only response I have seen has been doctor speculation. Nothing to solid. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Regardless, a few people here have mentioned it and all have had it go away given a short period of time I believe. I had a very slight case of this. I think everyone has said it has been the left testical as well. Including me. It went away after a few weeks, also, it started again when I went from 1mg to 1.25mg. Very odd, but not concerning IMO.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite a lot of drugs seem to be able to cause ball ache. The tiniest consistent pain there is annoying! I got it for the first few weeks on finasteride.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried propecia for 10 days and i had to stop. My nuts started to hurt. Like u know that feeling when somebody kicks u down there?
Maybe not that strong but its there. i dont know if its from the Propecia though. coz its been few days since i stopped and i still feel it.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard the reason it hurts is because your nuts are being forced to produce more testosterone in place of the dht but it should go away once your body finds an equalibrium again.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
George Costanza said:
I heard the reason it hurts is because your nuts are being forced to produce more testosterone in place of the dht but it should go away once your body finds an equalibrium again.

I would think they would have to produce less testosterone because not as much is being used in the body with considerably less binding to create DHT.

But yeah, whatever you body has to do to create equalibrium it will, if it can. Maybe it makes the balls ache to make you drop propecia thus providing equilibrium. ;)

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
No you definitely produce more test according to everything I've read. That's why some notice initial increased sex drive, zits, and increased body hair.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
George Costanza said:
No you definitely produce more test according to everything I've read. That's why some notice initial increased sex drive, zits, and increased body hair.

It's not that you produce more testosterone. It's tesosterone that's already been produced that is left floating around for a while because it can't bind to create DHT anymore.

Like if you're driving your car then it stalls. It's not using petrol anymore, the petrol sits there and rots the tank.

(if it did rot tanks if it was left that is)

;)

That's my understanding of it anyway.

The booolacks MUST go on to produce less testosterone with DHT being inhibited. For the body...less is needed = less is made.

Or maybe the balls make the same tesosterone regardless (bit dumb) but the body converts it to androgens. Hence boobers, pouty lips and big hips for finasteride users. ;)

G

The Gardener said:
I thought that the male body converts excess testosterone into estrogen?

True, thats why steroid users develop gyno. They have such an excess of testosterone that it is converted into estrogen, hence the titties.
I thought i might also add this since i am talkin about gyno. Back when i was a sophmore in high school i had a friend that smoked a whole LOT of weed. Like an insane amount of weed. ANd he had been smoking for years. And i remember one day he told me he had a lump under his nipple and back then i thought he might have a tumor or cancer. But now that i think about it, it had to be the beggining stages of gyno. Maybe the large quantitities of pot caused it? I don't know.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride is too scary :shock:

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not that you produce more testosterone. It's tesosterone that's already been produced that is left floating around for a while because it can't bind to create DHT anymore

I agree with the testosterone left floating around but I still think that more T may be produced. I found lots of info on the fact that finasteride increases serum T levels. Check this out.

Order
Urology. 2003 Nov;62(5):894-9.
Effects of finasteride on serum testosterone and body mass index in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Roehrborn CG, Lee M, Meehan A, Waldstreicher J; PLESS Study Group.
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390-9110, USA
OBJECTIVES: To examine the effect of finasteride on serum testosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). METHODS: The Proscar Long-Term Efficacy and Safety Study (PLESS) was a 4-year trial comparing the safety and efficacy of finasteride 5 mg with placebo in 3040 men with moderate to severe symptomatic BPH and enlarged prostates. PLESS included the prospective measurement of annual serum testosterone in a randomly selected subset of patients comprising approximately 10% of the randomized population (n = 301). RESULTS: Finasteride treatment led to a modest, but significant (P <0.001), increase relative to placebo in serum testosterone, with this increase greatest in patients who had low baseline testosterone levels. The larger testosterone increases seen in finasteride-treated patients in the lower baseline testosterone tertiles were associated with significant mean reductions relative to placebo at year 4 in body mass index (BMI), ranging from 0.6 to 0.8 kg/m2. No statistically significant between-group difference was found in BMI in the upper testosterone tertile. The sexual adverse experience profiles for finasteride and placebo were similar across the baseline testosterone cohorts examined. CONCLUSIONS: Finasteride treatment led to a generally modest increase relative to placebo in serum testosterone, with the greatest increases occurring in men with low baseline testosterone levels. The physiologic significance of these changes in men with low baseline testosterone levels is unclear, but the associated reduction in BMI is intriguing and may be related, because BMI is known to be negatively correlated with serum testosterone levels in men.

Here's another article
http://www.antiagingandcv.com/testosteronemen.htm

There's plenty of articles and studies that show T levels increase from finasteride.

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
George Costanza said:
It's not that you produce more testosterone. It's tesosterone that's already been produced that is left floating around for a while because it can't bind to create DHT anymore

I agree with the testosterone left floating around but I still think that more T may be produced. I found lots of info on the fact that finasteride increases serum T levels.

Sorry, I side with sonic, the test levels are higher because, as in the study you have listed there, shows the "serum levels" are higher...they determine the test level by taking a blood sample...not by hooking up machinery to your testicles to determine your how much test is being produced. The test is higher because it is not being converted to DHT. Shiney

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so fast. Check this out.

Q - What kind of side effects can you get with finasteride or other systemic DHT inhibitors?

A - Most people notice no side effects from finasteride. Some people do, however, experience a reduction in libido or notice more watery semen. Some get some noticeable hyperandrogenicity, as evidenced by increased facial oil, pimples or unusually high libido. Testicular ache is occasionally noted--probably due to increased testosterone output, which places an extra burden on the body's testosterone production. The body takes some time to adjust to this. (Increased T levels--15% on average in finasteride users--are likely in large part a compensatory response to reduced DHT.) Most often any side effects dissipate within 2 or 3 months. If they do not, things should return to normal after discontinuing finasteride, although this will probably take at least a couple of weeks, as finasteride has a relatively long biological effect, although a short serum half-life.

Here is the site for the entire article.

http://www.hairloss-research.org/faq.html

I don't think there have been any studies to prove it or disprove it. Everything I've found indicates increased T levels but it's unclear whether it's from increased production or just extra floating around. No doubt there is extra unbound T floating around which means higher t levels but I'll bet there is extra production as well. All I know is that I've read posts on this site and lots of other sites about testicular ache after starting finasteride which could possibly indicate increased production.