Number of hairs lost/day

Reaction score
If you want to determine how many hairs you lose a day, what's the best way to do this? Thesre are my methods and tell me if im right or wrong.

1) I brush and comb as many hairs out as possible
*note: it seems these are are already fallen out because they come out so easily

2) i comb my hair with my fingers and with tension, close my fingers together and pull and it seems most of the hairs on my head come out this way, usually about 160. It seems the harder i pull, the more hair comes out.
*note: I am not pulling with all my strength, i am pulling about as hard as when someone pulls your hair when ur getting a scalp massage. it seems these hairs that are coming out are already lose, or AM I PULLING OUT HAIR THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO COME OUT YET?

obvoiusly if you pull hard enough they will come out, but im not, and the majority of my hair are coming out with a result of me finger combing my hair and pulling.

HELP!

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
you're obsessing and overanalyzing this. Don't worry about how many hairs are coming out of your head. That's not what causes hair thinning anyway. Hair thinning is caused when the hairs dont grow back or grow back thinner. Everyone sheds hair, even people without male pattern baldness

bubka

Reaction score
if you are losing over 100, you are losing ground, i don't think there is really an accurate way of counting hair

G

We finally have a member who is more obsessed about hairloss than myself....... Dude, you have to stop pulling out your hairs. It will make you totally crazy and it isn´t an accurate way to count hairs either. I am sure that many healthy hairs are being lost by that. If you want to actually count the number of hairs you are losing a day you might wear a hat for 24 hours and simply count the number of hairs that remain in the hat afterward. Apart from that we can only estimate how much hair one loses.

Good Luck with your hair!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Attention everybody please, However many hairs you find falling out is completley irrelavent. Its not whats falling out (shedding) that matters its whats not growing back. Counting hairs on your pillow / plughole etc is just a good way of stressing yourself out.
Many people with great heads of hair can shed a lot. Just look at a womans hairbrush after she's just used it.
Seeing a lot of hairs on your pillow is not a sure sign of m.p.b.
Thinning, bald patches and receeding hairlines however are, and these are the signs you should be looking for.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Attention everybody please, However many hairs you find falling out is completley irrelavent. Its not whats falling out (shedding) that matters its whats not growing back. Counting hairs on your pillow / plughole etc is just a good way of stressing yourself out.
Many people with great heads of hair can shed a lot. Just look at a womans hairbrush after she's just used it.
Thinning, bald patches and receeding hairlines however are, and these are the signs you should be looking for.

Agreed. Before I started finasteride I was probably losing 30-50 per day. Now I'm probably losing 10 per day...but I'm still balding, I think. It's getting better not because I'm shedding less hair but because there has been an improvement in how many hairs grow back and the quality of those hairs. When I shed, I don't care...since I'm on finasteride, I encourage it because I am holding on to the hope that the hairs that grow back will be stronger.

holyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
i lose tons..tons and tons.
but i dont think it matters i stressed alot over it at the beginning thinking i would be totally bald in a few months..sursprise surprise..it doesnt matter at all.

ignore it..even if it was possible to count the hairs in a sane manner whats the dif?
You still cant do anymore then keep using the drugs.

let it go and se what happens in the long run

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
holyhair said:
i lose tons..tons and tons.
but i dont think it matters i stressed alot over it at the beginning thinking i would be totally bald in a few months..sursprise surprise..it doesnt matter at all.

ignore it..even if it was possible to count the hairs in a sane manner whats the dif?
You still cant do anymore then keep using the drugs.

let it go and se what happens in the long run

Yep. I feel like I've been losing loads over the last few months, but you know what? I haven't noticed any difference on my actual head. I still panic about it most days, thinking that "if this continues then I'll be bald by next month", then a month goes by.... and yes, I still have all my hair.

blandflabbis

Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Absolutely, I think this should be made a sticky on this section of the forum because I know that personally I spent a long time stressing out about how many hairs were falling out each day. If everyone could take this piece of information on board it might not stop anyone from going bald but it would sure relax a lot of people.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
well it's true that hair counting isn't all that important, but keep in mind that it IS something that doctors first tell you to start looking for if you think you're balding, in addition to receding hairlines and thinning. baldness starts somewhere, and it's before it's visibly evident. shedding DOES play a factor.