Noticeable Side Effects From Saw Palmetto?

airplaneman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering taking Propecia, but in the meantime I decided to take some saw palmetto supplements (I know they're not as effective, it was mostly for peace of mind), two 160mg pills per day. However, it KILLED my libido and this was taking it for a period of 10 days.

So my question is, if 320mg of saw palmetto destroys my libido, then can I assume that 1mg of propecia would be much worse/just as bad?

Thanks!

medSTATIC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking Saw Palmetto is a mistake. It's been proven it mostly interacts with type 1 5alpha reductase which is not prominent in the scalp. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Try propecia (specific type 2 5alpha reductase) and quit if the sides are too important.

justadude

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking Saw Palmetto is a mistake. It's been proven it mostly interacts with type 1 5alpha reductase which is not prominent in the scalp. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Try propecia (specific type 2 5alpha reductase) and quit if the sides are too important.

I’d like to know, was there a study on SP that shows it mostly interacts with type 1 ar? If so, could you please link to it, I’d like to read it. Thanks!

Joseph Lloyd

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think saw palmetto has some utility but if libido is the concern I’d stack it with a test booster. The best I’ve seen is a product called Alchemy which uses a very powerful aromatase inhibitor meaning it doesn’t just ramp up test but will also suppress estrogen.

http://www.predatornutrition.com/estrogen-blockers/hydrapharm/alchemy.html

This study shows it is 127 times as potent as Cytadren from its aromatase inhibiting action.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Men need a certain amount of estrogen too, so suppressing it below native optimal levels may be detrimental to healthy hormonal balance. This balance is critical for other metabolic pathways to function in your best interest. But, I'd certainly like to see the research behind Alchemy.

Japnicks India

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve taken saw palmetto 50MG & with multi vitamins daily for 3 months and honestly it gave me sides.

It actually increased my hair shedding, low libido, thick & stinky ejaculation.
SP doesn’t affect the type 2 ar which is for hairloss, however SP is great for prostate as it affects type 1. So are you willing to take something which may not directly help. However if you attempt for duta, it blocks both type of ar and is significantly overall package for hairloss. But increased sides too.

Now i’ve been using .25Mg finasteride for last 1.5Weeks and honestly i feel stabilised. Only praying that i don’t get any sides, however if i do. I’ll annouce on this forum.

airplaneman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Airplanman
have you recoverd from side effects of SP or still strugling?

Yes I'm fully recovered! My libido came back fairly quickly after discontinuing saw palmetto. I don't remember how long it took (since it happened so long ago) but it was a negligible amount of time for recovery (not more than a week).

Hope this helps!