Nothing's working! This could be my last resort

Vic_Vega

Reaction score
I am (mildly) considering switching to dutasteride. I will briefly give you my story. Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

I've been taking finasteride for just under a year now. I have been taking minoxodil for about 4 months (2.5 months liquid, 1.5 foam... something like that). I am 20 years old. First signs of thinning occured just over 2 years ago. The most common advice on these boards is to take finasteride, minoxidil, and even nizoral. I have been taking all three and I believe my hair is still gradually thinning. I'm hoping I'm just in the middle of a shed after starting on the foam, but have no way of being sure. Regardless of that, I am becoming extremely frustrated with the lack of progress. At this point, maintaining the hair I have now is of secondary importance. What I would really like to experience is some decent regrowth. I am developing a very obvious horseshoe pattern at the back and top of my head, and as I am only 20, it is destroying my life. So far nothing I've tried has worked and I'm pretty sure my hair is worse now than it was a year ago.

At this point I am thinking about switching from finasteride to dutasteride, or even using them in combination if that is what's most recommended. I know there are a lot of people who would recommend trying my current regimen for awhile longer as I've only had the full regimen going for about 4 months, but again, I am 20 years old and have little patience for this sort of thing. I would just like to hear any suggestions from you guys regarding the switch. I was under the impression that dutasteride was more effective but so far I have found very little evidence on these boards suggesting that it's better for regrowing hair. Has anyone experienced not only maintenance, but regrowth? Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated. If the general consesus is that I should give my current regimen more time then I'm willing to discuss that.

I have pictures if that will provide more assistance, and will post them if you guys are willing to help with my case.

Thanks.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Stick to your current treatments for at least a year. I didn't really see any progress until 2 years in really.

The people who chop and change their treatments are the people who never get results. Remember that.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
See thinnings post today..he switched to dutasteride and got great results.

I have just ordered mine... 6 months and only downhill on finasteride is enough for me to say its not doing enough to slow it down

antonio666

Reaction score
vega.

get on dutas,it is having a terrible effect on me but look at some others who have had major sucsee on it,if propecia is not working for you by the 1 year mark ,it is highley unlikely to ever work,so you have nothing to lose by changing,good luck with the switch

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Antonio, did you do finasteride before getting on dutasteride?

T

Timi

dutasteride

antonio666

Your Hair slowly better with dutasteride???

Timi

Vic_Vega

Reaction score
As I figured, I have some telling me to try it and some telling me to wait. I'm leaning towards 'try it.' I've been dealing with this sh*t for too long and it's really starting to bother me. If finasteride and minoxidil have shown no results at this point, then I can't see them ever producing good, acceptable results (as in regrowth). I've still got another month of my finasteride prescription, then I will go talk to my doctor and if he agrees to the switch then I have nothing to lose. I'm too young to be dealing with this sh*t. If dutasteride doesn't work, then the only thing that will is surgery... so wish me luck.

I will repost here if and when I switch.

Thanks.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You really should take pictures too.

I think you should give finasteride/foam/nizoral a solid year together, but at least wait another month or two before going off finasteride and going to dutasteride so you will know if you are in the middle of a shed.

I had a shed 3 months into everything, and it was just after my hair really looked better... then it looked thin, and then after a month or so it looked great again.

I kinda think I am at the same point in the hair growth cycle, because I think I have a smaller shed going on right... not a crazy one, but I think my hair lost some density....

I am 40.