not a propecia bashing thread.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay...i'm not being negative about propecia...in fact i will say "Propecia does exactly what it claims to do...blocks 5 -alpha R thus having some effect on hair loss"...

i have been using it for 2 years and have quit 3 weeks ago due to very low sex drive. in the last year i went down to .5mgs and in the last 6 months i was down to .3mgs. after 3 weeks my sex drive has gotten better..but it is still no where back to normal...i hear that after being on it for 2 years it may take up to 6 months to get DHT levels back to normal.

i haven't gone through my "shed" yet...but i am wondering if that's just because of my low DHT levels.

My question is:

When my DHT levels go back to normal this means that my sex drive will go back to normal. So, when i see that my sex drive is back to normal then i should assume that i have high DHT levels and that i should be experiencing more hair loss. However, i'm not really sure how well Propecia protected me from hairloss...i would shed like crazy every day... months at a time it was way worse and i also saw a big drop in how much hair i had...So, do you guys think that once my DHT levels go back to normal i will go through a shed?

thanks for your help

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jimmystanley,

It is pretty straight forward and has been answered a million times over :)

If Finasteride was having a beneficial effect on your hair (whether you were aware of it or not) and you quit, over a period of a year your hair will decline.

If Finasteride was not having a beneficial effect then you may not notice any negative changes over a period of a year.

As far as the sex drive... Well assuming it was Finasteride and not another factor (depression/placebo effect/ect) then the effects of Finasteride should resolve themselves over a period of a few weeks to a few months.

Now, some men have claimed Finasteride had a longer term effect on their body but it is hard to verify such claims.

Bottom line,

Sit tight and see how things go over the next year. No one here can give you a definitive answer on this subject without talking out of their ***!

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Bottom line,

Sit tight and see how things go over the next year. No one here can give you a definitive answer on this subject without talking out of their ***!

yes,this the answer i knew was true...sigh...okay...well thanks for the response