Norwood scale

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't it that the first sign of balding is actually a Norwood 3? Plenty of non-balding people are Norwood 2's. Fifty-year-old Norwood 1 guys are the minority, I think. (At least among whites.)

Deaner

Reaction score
NW2 looks okay from the side, but the top view tells a different story... I hate the way even a NW2 hairline makes it hard to style the front without looking receding. What a brutal condition this is :p

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose, I was just talking about this with my partner today. A person could have very very little thinning hair and yet to them, be going bald in the extreme. Good thoughts.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner: Well, I still think that the above-view drawing of the Norwood 2 is very misleading. I don't think it's accurate. I look just like the "2" guy from the side, but the top? Not by a long shot. I think it needs some adjusting, as this is quite common.

Nuno

Reaction score
Well the Norwood scale won't be accurate for everyone because it will depend on how thick the person's hair is. A guy who is a NW2 with thick hair will not look like someone who is losing their hair compared to a guy with temple recession and difuse thinning.

arjun17

Reaction score
Norwood 3 = first sign of balding

Norwood 2 is the norm for men past 30. Just look around, almost EVERY man over 32 or so will have atleast some recession at the temples, no matter how thick or thin his hair is.VERY few people stay Norwood 1 past their 30s - Norwood 1 is mainly seen in teenagers and early 20's. Almost all males recede to some degree at the temples and become Norwood 2. The "mature hairline" is actually just a small degree of balding which nearly everybody experiences - its just that the balding people recede past this point, while the nonbalding people don't. Even if u do become a Norwood 3, there is no guarantee whether u will become Norwood 7 rapidly or eventually, or u might just stabilize at Norwood 3 for life (I've seen several cases of men around 50-65 who are Norwood 3 and have been so for many years). Just because you START balding does'nt mean that you're doomed to being a Norwood 7 (unless a lot of people in your family are Norwood 7).