Norwood? - male pattern baldness? Pics.

CoronaDelMar

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I had a haircut in November and noticed my hairline going back a bit. I've read that as people get older its normal for the hairline to recede a bit and it isn't male pattern baldness. However, I think I'm around a Norwood 2 right now.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0024.jpg

So my hair has receded back here a few inches at the temples.

IMG_0021.jpg

Slight balding at the crown? Or maybe thats just a normal gap that was there? Am I being paranoid?

IMG_0019.jpg

A close up view of that spot.

IMG_0027.jpg

Side view, definite recession visible.

IMG_0026.jpg

Front view.

This is my front view from Aug. 2004 - does it seem like my hairs gone back a bit?
aug%2004.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Another view pulling my hair back.

2.gif
Just for reference.

Where should I place myself in terms of male pattern baldness? Am I being paranoid thinking I'm a Norwood 2/3 right now? Also, I've heard Propecia is not effective for temporal hair loss, what should I do about the temples if Propecia doesn't work there?

antonio666

Reaction score
you are defintley not balding in the crown,however that looks more than a mature hairline to me,you are more receded than i am however it could be a mture hairline,deeep inside yourself you will know if you are balding,i mean 2 years ago when i dicovererd i was balding ,there was no evidence visual that i was balding ,i mean i had no receded hairline and my hair was so,so thick no scalp visable even when wet under the strongest light ,however something inside me detected a minute diffewrence in hair texture and i have been proved 100% right ,if you think that you are balding then you will be balding

IBM

Reaction score
you have some recession. antonio666 is right. At 19/20 i knew i was balding but there was no evidence of it. People called me crazy and paranoid. Two years after proved that i was right.

CoronaDelMar

Reaction score
at what point should i start thinking its beyond a mature hairline? is there a certain amount of square inches or something of recession at the temples which classifies as a norwood 2.5-3?

abcdefg

Reaction score
male pattern baldness and predicting it is about impossible. No one can make any kind of guess beyond what relatives look like. You cant regrow much hair as of today all you can do is try to prevent. That being said it makes sense to slow down or prevent as much hair loss as possible as soon as you can. I would take that to mean you should start treatments at the very first hunch of hairloss. If I found 1 miniaturized hair and I knew it was less pigmented then it once was I would start a treatment maybe im overly paranoid then i guess but I want to keep every single hair I could.

Lets think rationally about the mature hairline. Lets pretend 1 1/2 inches is considered a "mature hairline". By that same logic a 3 inch recession of the hairline is simply a "above average matured" hairline. I cant figure out how male pattern baldness even really exists if we consider some amount of recession not male pattern baldness but some recession is.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
crown is not bad, your temples receeded to NW2.5?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
you are receding but the thing you have to look out for is your crown its gonna be a monk head I have the same thing my mom just told mem to stop being paranoid now its pretty thin on the top.

I receded fast too in the front you have a norwood 3.

consider using nizoral and nano shampoo

or try propecia.

CoronaDelMar

Reaction score
whats monk head mean? Does that mean I'll thin at the top too?

Wouldn't Norwood 3 mean my temples are really far back and that most of the hair on the sides are gone? On the diagram I look more like a 3 but on the first picture, when I pull my hair far back, it looks deep into my temple but the region isn't that wide.

Also, I have Nizoral 1%, is there a DHT inhibitor in itself?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
CoronaDelMar said:
whats monk head mean? Does that mean I'll thin at the top too?

Wouldn't Norwood 3 mean my temples are really far back and that most of the hair on the sides are gone? On the diagram I look more like a 3 but on the first picture, when I pull my hair far back, it looks deep into my temple but the region isn't that wide.

Also, I have Nizoral 1%, is there a DHT inhibitor in itself?

you have the balding that I have but I have a higher receding hairline but you are also losing hair on your crown like me...in another year your hair will be even worse if it went that fast trust me start doing something now at least your hairline is a nice mature hairline all you have to worry bout is the baldspot on the back.

this is a monk head
Lmonk.jpg

SMIFF4%20MONK%20WIG.jpg

G

Your crown is thinning in my opinion. Everyone has a vertex back there where hair originates from but yours is too wide in diameter to not be thinning.