Norwood 3 at 16?

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, a bit of a newbie on this site, so let me know if I've done anything wrong (posted at wrong place, etc.). I'm 16 and have been stressing about this for the past year. I've got nobody to talk to about this because everyone in my dads family has a full on norwood 1 at all ages, including grandfather. On my mum's side, there are quite a few bald people I think, but we are estranged, so this is going off of my mother's childhood memories. Would this be considered past a mature hairline and into norwood 3? I've not noticed any thinning other than at the temples, and no excess of hairfall, if that helps. Hair is slightly damp in the photos. Any answers appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210825_144957~2.jpg
    20210825_144957~2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 20210825_145016.jpg
    20210825_145016.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 420
  • 20210825_145007.jpg
    20210825_145007.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 481
  • 20210825_145003.jpg
    20210825_145003.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 464

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tough to pin on the Norwood scale, but definitely not a 3; your hairline is still low. The temples are concerning in the last pic, but just keep an eye on things.

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tough to pin on the Norwood scale, but definitely not a 3; your hairline is still low. The temples are concerning in the last pic, but just keep an eye on things.
Would you say more like a 2, or 1.5? Could it still just be a mature hairline?

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You’re like me man, mines maturing too but I’m a decade older then you. Now to take finasteride or not is the real question because if it will get worse/ stop there is still up in the air.

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I guess at the moment, it's pretty up in the air for me . Tbh it's better than I had thought, but only time will tell in the end. Do you think I'm good for now though?

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I guess at the moment, it's pretty up in the air for me . Tbh it's better than I had thought, but only time will tell in the end. Do you think I'm good for now though?
For sure, first mistake I made was assuming it would fall out in a year, then within 2-3 years I realised there was no need to panic. Just monitor it and start treatment if needed, it is all we can do. I have a thread here that I recently updated which shows the effectiveness of treatment in my own experience. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ide-amazing-results-before-after-pics.120335/

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
For sure, first mistake I made was assuming it would fall out in a year, then within 2-3 years I realised there was no need to panic. Just monitor it and start treatment if needed, it is all we can do. I have a thread here that I recently updated which shows the effectiveness of treatment in my own experience. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ide-amazing-results-before-after-pics.120335/
Thats really impressive! Your hairline seems incredibly strong at the moment, treatments worked wonders. Good luck in the future, qnd thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Solxama

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to reply as this thread really strikes home for me, balding at such a young age does signal that you could be very prone to Androgenic Alopecia, like I am.

I started balding at 17, and it looked pretty similar to your pictures. And then at 20 I was already close to NW3, now at 24 I'm close to NW4. If you value your hair, don't make the same mistake I did, that is trying to pretend not to care and trying to cope with it. As soon as you notice it getting worse, consider treatment, like the Finasteride some people suggested.

To be honest I would advise treatment even now, not with any drugs yet, just natural means like Zinc, Selenium, some anti-balding shampoo, maybe also Spearmint tea and CBD oil if you can get your hands on them. Before I went on my current crazy regimen, I used these natural methods with some degree of success, my hair loss did slow down quite a bit when I started those supplements two years ago.

Also consider vitamins, mainly Vitamin D3, C and B12. I don't know how good they are for hair, but they sure do help with overall health.

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to reply as this thread really strikes home for me, balding at such a young age does signal that you could be very prone to Androgenic Alopecia, like I am.

I started balding at 17, and it looked pretty similar to your pictures. And then at 20 I was already close to NW3, now at 24 I'm close to NW4. If you value your hair, don't make the same mistake I did, that is trying to pretend not to care and trying to cope with it. As soon as you notice it getting worse, consider treatment, like the Finasteride some people suggested.

To be honest I would advise treatment even now, not with any drugs yet, just natural means like Zinc, Selenium, some anti-balding shampoo, maybe also Spearmint tea and CBD oil if you can get your hands on them. Before I went on my current crazy regimen, I used these natural methods with some degree of success, my hair loss did slow down quite a bit when I started those supplements two years ago.

Also consider vitamins, mainly Vitamin D3, C and B12. I don't know how good they are for hair, but they sure do help with overall health.
I think that starting finasteride at my age and stage in puberty would be a very bad idea. Perhaps if it starts to thin I will start looking into treatments, but at this point I'm not going to do much about it other than maybe derma rolling. Vitamins are a good idea in general i think, so i will add those to the list.

Solxama

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that starting finasteride at my age and stage in puberty would be a very bad idea. Perhaps if it starts to thin I will start looking into treatments, but at this point I'm not going to do much about it other than maybe derma rolling. Vitamins are a good idea in general i think, so i will add those to the list.
Don't start Finasteride now whatever you do! Wait until 18 at the least.

But if you do what I just told you with the Natural methods, you might not need to start it at all before your early 20s, or maybe even mid 20s. I was very late to start my fight against hair loss, so I ended up on a very extreme regimen, and you don't want to know the details, trust me.

But if you want to avoid my fate, get on natural supplements ASAP, I found that Spearmint tea and CBD oil worked the best, and they should be safe at your age as they are natural herbs used for thousands of years in traditional medicine. Also I will mention that Spearmint tea is a natural Anti Androgen so keep that in mind, but from my experience it's very weak, my blood test levels didn't really show much Testosterone lowering, but it could still help with early stages of balding without any noticeable side effects. You could also try Saw Palmetto before Finasteride in the future, but wait until you're 18 with that too.

TommoHairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't start Finasteride now whatever you do! Wait until 18 at the least.

But if you do what I just told you with the Natural methods, you might not need to start it at all before your early 20s, or maybe even mid 20s. I was very late to start my fight against hair loss, so I ended up on a very extreme regimen, and you don't want to know the details, trust me.

But if you want to avoid my fate, get on natural supplements ASAP, I found that Spearmint tea and CBD oil worked the best, and they should be safe at your age as they are natural herbs used for thousands of years in traditional medicine. Also I will mention that Spearmint tea is a natural Anti Androgen so keep that in mind, but from my experience it's very weak, my blood test levels didn't really show much Testosterone lowering, but it could still help with early stages of balding without any noticeable side effects. You could also try Saw Palmetto before Finasteride in the future, but wait until you're 18 with that too.
Got it, thanks for the reply!!

Solxama

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Got it, thanks for the reply!!
No problem, and I'm happy I could give some advice to somebody going through the same thing I went through when I was your age. I hope my advice helps you avoid my fate and the fate of many other users of this forum.

Good luck, and I wish you a life full of nice and healthy hair! :)

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also stay away from creatine I am certain this jump started shedding for me when I was around your age.