Norwood 2, heading to norwood 3, my story.

circusrat

Reaction score
I just wanted to post and give info to people in my situation, which might be similar to yours.

Around 12 months ago, having just turned 23, I had the half full/half empty moment. I was a pretty boy/prep with a full head of thick gelled up hair. Spiked it up complete with the abercrombie and hollister attire. The girls (not women) thought it was hot and I had much success.

One day I look in the mirror and notice that my hair along the hairline of my left temple was actually slightly see through. I was sort of uneasy about this, but you have to understand, my first reaction was, "there was no way I was balding." It was just something that happened to other guys, not thick haired pretty boys like myself.

I started getting a little spastic and checking my hair all the time, etc. Immediately jumped on the big 3 as well (after finding this website). You know how it goes, sometimes, at the beginning, you think maybe its just all in your head. Perhaps I was forming a "mature hairline?" Who knows, but I wasn't taking any chances, I was catching it early and stopping it before it started.

Time went on and several things started to happen. First off, let me describe myself a bit to you. I have a widows peak and a naturally high hairline. So i've got that V look, even with all my hair. I'm 5'11 and naturally thin. I'm only about 165lbs right now. The 'look' that I carried was the aforementioned teenager abercrombie look, I have a nice complexion and youthful appearance, and straight teeth. Combining these things and some people would say I looked like a "boy band" member. I also tanned for about 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, as I have a naturally pale complexion.

6 months go by and things are sliding a bit. I'm loosing some ground. Temples are moving back slightly, areas to the right and left of the hairline are thinning to the point where in certain lights you can see through them. At this point though, its important to mention that the hairloss was not to the point that other people would notice. Noone would even think I was "balding" if I brought the subject up. Around the 8 month mark there was actually a point where I thought I had conquered, or at least halted, the hairloss. For a month or so, mentally, I won... stopped coming to the site, stopped looking at my hair in the mirror. Just had confidence again.

About 2 months ago something happened, genetically. My hairloss took off at a frantic pace. This is in the face of a big 3 all out assault. I know it sounds ridiculous, but almost DAILY you could notice hairloss. The hair along the edges of my hairline has fallen out, my temple bald spots are moving back incredibly fast. I just got a haircut yesterday and I aged 5 years in 5 months. I'm now developing this Sharp V look, with bald spots on either side of the V.

My face has also aged dramatically as well, I have permanent frown lines and my skin isn't as young looking as it used to be. I blame this on the tanning I did when I was younger.

My disposition is one of forced acceptance. I'm re-evaluating my "look" to the world. I'm desperately trying to not let depression set in because of all this recent change. Reminding myself others don't necessarily see me as the balding, skinny guy that I do. Everyday is a fight to hold on to my confidence.

I'm also considering buzzing my head, and if things keep progressing as they have, I will have to.

It's hard because I was the good looking, confident guy about a year ago, and feel like i've lost much. I still feel the same on the inside, but my outward appearance is someone else now.

I post this because I know other people must be facing the same thing I am, and will be able to relate. Balding is the great genetic equalizer.

Couple things I took away from the experience:
1. First off, going to mid 20 something happy hours, you realize your far from being alone. If people haven't lost hair, they've gained weight, or aged in other ways. People don't stay pretty. It's important to keep your appearance in other ways, workout, spend $$ on nice clothes.

2. Tanning, regularly, was a very poor decision. I'm paying for it now, I wish i'd never done it.

3. The big 3 work where they claim, but not necessarily where they don't. This is sort of obvious, but needs to be stated. I don't know why the temples are impervious to the benefits of these treatments, but they are. I'm not sure if taking any of the treatments has actually done anything to slow or halt my hairloss, no way to tell.

4. If you live in a college town still, DO NOT go to the college bars, you'll feel alot worse.

5. Try to mature your thought process of how your life will continue changing, as your balding matures. Watching yourself change, for the worse, everyday in the mirror is disheartening. But don't loose sight of the attractive features that you still have. Remember: every person guy/girl is going through the pains of aging right along with you. The beautiful people you see that are 30+ are the exception, you won't remain beautiful. Accept that and move on.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi circus, i think everyone on this site could relate to your words.
How old are you?

And yes, you are correct about the college bars, especially because that used to be us drinking away care free, not worrying about losing hair. A more accurate representation of life would be bars suited to college grads and older.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
hey circusrat,

I feel like my story is probably similar to yours in some respects.

I started VERY SLOWLY thinning and seeing some hairloss around 20-21, then all of the sudden about 8 months ago, BAM! Hair go bye bye, with the quickness, shortly after turning 24. My loss is concentrated on top and at the temples. I'm tall and fairskinned with very light brown hair. I'm also on the big three. Keep us updated pal, and don't give up the fight. Don't let this garbage play with your mind.

Good luck with your regimen.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
circusrat said:
My face has also aged dramatically as well, I have permanent frown lines and my skin isn't as young looking as it used to be. I blame this on the tanning I did when I was younger.

2. Tanning, regularly, was a very poor decision. I'm paying for it now, I wish i'd never done it.

hey buddy... listen as a tanner myself let me be the first to tell you... TANNING DIDN'T MAKE YOU AGE FAST. Tanning without proper skin care did.... but it's not too late my friend.... get a good moisturizer right now!!! and you must absolutely must and i cannot stress this enough... you must drink atleast 2 liters of water each day!!!! you will not age another day :)

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nonsense.

Tanning DOES age the skin more so than just about anything. UVA and UVB rays damage the deeper layers of the skin causing skin too age faster and later on in life wrinkles will develop. Its been proven...go and do your research.

Moisturizer want to jack, but maybe help keep your skin from getting to dry and peeling.

Tanning IS bad for your skin.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
go do YOUR research.... 75% of people in the US are dehydrated RIGHT now! if you arent drinking atleast 2 liters of water each day you aren't getting enough and you are dehydrated this second!! this is a fact... and the single most effective way to stay moisturiezed with with what??? WATER DING!!! it hydrates you from deep within... so 75% of peple are already aging at a much faster rate due to years without proper hydration and this means all of you probably!! i've tanned for 20 mins a day for 5 years and you should see the wonderful luster of my skin... looks like i'm 12 years old i stay hydrated always no exceptions so.... HYDRATE YOURSELF PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
go do YOUR research.... 75% of people in the US are dehydrated RIGHT now! if you arent drinking atleast 2 liters of water each day you aren't getting enough and you are dehydrated this second!! this is a fact... and the single most effective way to stay moisturiezed with with what??? WATER DING!!! it hydrates you from deep within... so 75% of peple are already aging at a much faster rate due to years without proper hydration and this means all of you probably!! i've tanned for 20 mins a day for 5 years and you should see the wonderful luster of my skin... looks like i'm 12 years old i stay hydrated always no exceptions so.... HYDRATE YOURSELF PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
you are correct about the water thing...

as for tanning, i tanned alot as well back in college but your wrong if you honestly think its fine and dandy for your skin

circusrat

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure tanning played a big part in deteriorating the condition of my skin. Of course, I'm sure some of it is natural aging.

I don't think moisturizing does a whole lot for your skin, other than keeping it from getting dry and peely. I'm not well read on the subject though.