Norwood 2/diffuse/thyroid Balding At 20 Years Old

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello people.
Recently I discovered I am suffering from hypothyroidism and a defunct adrenal gland caused by years on anti-depressants, which would explain my thinning all around. I've noticed thinning hair all over my body including my arm pits, my eyebrows, legs, chest, arms. I've been on medicine for it and it's been helping stabilize the hair loss on the other parts of my body but not my head. There are random spots on my head which are getting increasingly thinner all around, and doesn't really follow a specific pattern. I've traced my hairline in the pictures to keep track of it, and it appears that the front is really thinning quite bad. I know it may be sort of hard to see in the pictures, but the front is quite thinner as well as my sideburns and random spots on the sides. Hope you're enjoying your day!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.15.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.15.25 PM.png
    784.3 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.16.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.16.48 PM.png
    594 KB · Views: 973
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.17.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.17.43 PM.png
    784 KB · Views: 843
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.12.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 5.12.33 PM.png
    358.7 KB · Views: 829

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't look anything like hypothyroid cases I has seen. Good old male pattern baldness with a bit of diffusing in my opinion.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't look anything like hypothyroid cases I has seen. Good old male pattern baldness with a bit of diffusing in my opinion.
there is no baldness in my family. most of the men have had thinning hair due to thyroid issues but are not bald.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
there is no baldness in my family. most of the men have had thinning hair due to thyroid issues but are not bald.

A receding hairline isn't caused by thyroid issues, that simple. Family history doesn't guarantee anything either, the gene could have skipped multiple generations, you really can't be sure. My dad started balding at 35 as did most of the men on my fathers side, I started at about 18. The men on my mums side have hair.

The thinning could be thyroid, but the hairline issues are definitely male pattern baldness.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
classic male pattern baldness mate =)

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello people.
Recently I discovered I am suffering from hypothyroidism and a defunct adrenal gland caused by years on anti-depressants, which would explain my thinning all around. I've noticed thinning hair all over my body including my arm pits, my eyebrows, legs, chest, arms. I've been on medicine for it and it's been helping stabilize the hair loss on the other parts of my body but not my head. There are random spots on my head which are getting increasingly thinner all around, and doesn't really follow a specific pattern. I've traced my hairline in the pictures to keep track of it, and it appears that the front is really thinning quite bad. I know it may be sort of hard to see in the pictures, but the front is quite thinner as well as my sideburns and random spots on the sides. Hope you're enjoying your day!
The hair loss on your head is probably male pattern hair loss. I have receding and diffuse thinning as well (am 23, had since 20), and thyroid issues run in my family, while hair loss doesn't run in my family before 50. Probably just got unlucky and inherited the male pattern baldness gene from somewhere. And hard to gauge your degree of hair loss with your hair cut that short.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
does receding stop after a while? again, there aren't any bald people in my family, just a few nw2s/3s.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
does receding stop after a while? again, there aren't any bald people in my family, just a few nw2s/3s.

If the entire frontal third is thinning even in the centre I would definitely get on finasteride. Another giveaway is thinning in the centre of the crown area.

It is possible your pattern may only be up to a nw2/3, but family patterns don't mean much, the gene can skip multiple generations so you never know.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
If the entire frontal third is thinning even in the centre I would definitely get on finasteride. Another giveaway is thinning in the centre of the crown area.

It is possible your pattern may only be up to a nw2/3, but family patterns don't mean much, the gene can skip multiple generations so you never know.
that sh*t ain't cool. How bad do you think this situation is?

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
that sh*t ain't cool. How bad do you think this situation is?

Only way to tell is monitor over a set period if you can, compare how it was 12 months ago, now and in another 3 months time and so on. If the frontal third is clearly still thinning I would definitely jump on finasteride. Personally I would just jump on finasteride right now, you've already taken a fairly large hit I suspect and beyond norwood 3 is where it becomes hard to salvage and makes a big hit on your aesthetics.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
and that's june and september (when I shaved my head completely).

Attachments

• sep 2017.png
    sep 2017.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 564
  • mid june 2017.jpg
    mid june 2017.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,074

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks substantially better in my opinion but the pics from now are fairly poor so hard for me to confirm. I would definitely jump onto finasteride.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks substantially better in my opinion but the pics from now are fairly poor so hard for me to confirm. I would definitely jump onto finasteride.
better as in how? I am afraid to start finasteride because of potential side effects.