nooby's story

nooby

Reaction score
Hi all,

I came accross this forum and thought I'd sign up to get some opiniopns advice.

I'm 23 years old and I have noticed my hair has thinned all over my scalp. There is history of baldness in both sides of my family, but I'm not sure if my hair loss is normal or just part of my genes. I used to have really thick hair in my teens, in fact if anything it was too thick, and Id never see any sign of my scalp if it was wet, under bright lights etc.

I first noticed my hair thinng when I was 20, I remember the day I first noticed it. My scalp was really itchy so I filled a sink full of water, dipped my head into it and maaseged to try and ease the itch. When I took my head out I noticed the bottom of the sink was peppered with short hairs (I used to keep my hair short). At the time I totally freaked out, I grew my hair a good bit to try and hide it.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but I was experimenting with drugs (Weed/herbal spice/extacy/coke) and I was unhappy at college particularly that year (didn't have a lot of friends in my course and unhappy with my course). I'm not sure if this could have effected my hair growth or maybe I was just being paranoid.

Back to the present. I stopped shaving my head just before christmas and my hair has grown out 3 inches and my scalp hasn't changed in those years. I'm going to start using Nizorol because I remember it was brilliant for my dandruff and it might help keep my hair. I'm thinking of trying Proscar and dividing it into 1/8's (halving the 1/4's) and seeing if my it improves my hair after a period of time.

But the thing is that my thinning is all over my scalp and not on a particular area. If I come out of the shower and part my hair like a cross with the crown as the centre, and look at the thickness it all looks the same. So I'm not sure if it's a case of Tollogen Effuivlum or Male patern baldness? I'll try and upload som pics of my hair later, but based on my story would it be odd that my hair hasn't chaged in almost three years?

Sorry for the long story, this has been really bothering me and I can't really talk to anyone about this. I should also stress that no one has ever noticed this and you can't see anything if I just washed my hair or if it's dry.

Moosetache

Reaction score
Hey Nooby, welcome from a fellow newcommer :salut:

Your story sounds somewhat similar to mine, though I don't have all the details for yours obviously. It absolutely could and probably is genetic (ie. you've lost all you had to lose for now and will stay like this for however long) or it could be something else. You said you had a rough year in college and that could one of the causes. Drugs won't impact hair loss on their own, but they can cause stress/sleep loss/etc and have a very negative impact on many people. I happen to be one of those people :whistle: .

Your hair loss pattern is VERY similar to mine. For the first few years, my hair loss was mainly diffuse in an even manner. It got pretty bad (to my liking anyway) before I noticed it. My temples started going much later. I doubt it's Tollogen Effuivlum but it's not impossible. A lot of people swear by finasteride and if your hair loss is making your life miserable, you should give it a shot. Of course there are some potential side effects, but as long as you're aware of that you should be fine. Personally, I haven't gone for it yet, but I'm not totally opposed to the idea.

Nizoral did wonders for me when I developped dandruff and itchiness. kept me sane lol. I have since stopped using it, as I don't suffer from those conditions anymore but I would recommend it to anyone needing it.

And don't worry about long posts, I do the same. It's a forum with like-minded people who share a similar problem. This is the place to come and vent my friend. Good luck with everything :beer: